Accepting an offer when already have accepted another offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepting an offer when already have accepted another offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 am

I go to a T25 school and have been offered a summer position at a midsized firm in a smaller IL market town but am truly aiming for Chicago. I have two weeks to accept the offer in the much smaller market, however I have an interview set up at a midsized Chicago firm. I have told the Chicago firm of my offer in the smaller market, but if I am not sure what to do if I get an offer from the Chicago market after accepting the offer in the smaller market. I definitely do not want the stigma and burden that it would cause the firm in the smaller market, but it would be very hard to pass up an opportunity should I get the offer with the Chicago firm.

So simply, how bad is it to accept an offer in your top preferred market if you've accepted an offer already in a smaller market?

Thanks!

(Note: I have not yet accepted the offer in the smaller market, this is just a hypothetical as of now for me). Thanks!

LawIdiot86

Re: Accepting an offer when already have accepted another offer

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a T25 school and have been offered a summer position at a midsized firm in a smaller IL market town but am truly aiming for Chicago. I have two weeks to accept the offer in the much smaller market, however I have an interview set up at a midsized Chicago firm. I have told the Chicago firm of my offer in the smaller market, but if I am not sure what to do if I get an offer from the Chicago market after accepting the offer in the smaller market. I definitely do not want the stigma and burden that it would cause the firm in the smaller market, but it would be very hard to pass up an opportunity should I get the offer with the Chicago firm.

So simply, how bad is it to accept an offer in your top preferred market if you've accepted an offer already in a smaller market?

Thanks!

(Note: I have not yet accepted the offer in the smaller market, this is just a hypothetical as of now for me). Thanks!

Do you know the offer rates for permanent jobs with both firms? How close are the two firms in practice types/client size? If the Chicago firm knows of the offer deadline, I doubt they will screw you and will tell you if they can't decide in time. Do you know either firm's policy on split summers?

Return to “Legal Employment”