Wachtell 1L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Wachtell 1L

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:35 am

T-14, 1L. I have an interview scheduled early next week. Their travel department has already arranged transportation. It was noted on the email that this would be a ninety-minute meeting (and will include partners). Not sure what in the world we can to talk about for ninety minutes. Given the time slot, it is too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. In reading the above notes, given the importance placed on connections, I have no idea why I received an invitation (other then they were included on my mass resume mailing), I do not know a soul in NYC, nor do I attend school in NYC.

If anyone has gone through one of their face-to-face interviews and has advice, I am listening.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:T-14, 1L. I have an interview scheduled early next week. Their travel department has already arranged transportation. It was noted on the email that this would be a ninety-minute meeting (and will include partners). Not sure what in the world we can to talk about for ninety minutes. Given the time slot, it is too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. In reading the above notes, given the importance placed on connections, I have no idea why I received an invitation (other then they were included on my mass resume mailing), I do not know a soul in NYC, nor do I attend school in NYC.

If anyone has gone through one of their face-to-face interviews and has advice, I am listening.
Stop wondering. You got an interview and they're paying to get you out to NYC, so it obviously means you have a chance. At this point, that's all that matters. Put your best foot forward.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:T-14, 1L. I have an interview scheduled early next week. Their travel department has already arranged transportation. It was noted on the email that this would be a ninety-minute meeting (and will include partners). Not sure what in the world we can to talk about for ninety minutes. Given the time slot, it is too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. In reading the above notes, given the importance placed on connections, I have no idea why I received an invitation (other then they were included on my mass resume mailing), I do not know a soul in NYC, nor do I attend school in NYC.

If the interviewer's name is Pam, call her Pand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 am

I mean.. I did a 2L interview there and it was either half an hour or 20 min each with 4 people (can't quite remember) - 2 associates and 2 partners, no meal. Maybe you are doing a half hour with 3 or 20 min with 4 plus some cushion time? This is basic callback protocol, except usually you do get lunch. I found the interview tough in terms of getting grilled (though another V5 had a much more physically grueling all day callback).

Re: connections, I randomly sent out my resume and transcript to the V20 my 1L year and, similar to you, had no connections and didn't go to school in NYC but got some attention. Do you have stellar grades? I really think that's what catches their eye (was 4.0+ at a T10 at the time). Even if you don't get the job this summer due to space constraints, I found that some of them contacted me out of the blue before 2L OCI, so it helps in terms of networking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is basic callback protocol, except usually you do get lunch. I found the interview tough in terms of getting grilled (though another V5 had a much more physically grueling all day callback).

Re: connections, I randomly sent out my resume and transcript to the V20 my 1L year and, similar to you, had no connections and didn't go to school in NYC but got some attention. Do you have stellar grades? I really think that's what catches their eye (was 4.0+ at a T10 at the time). Even if you don't get the job this summer due to space constraints, I found that some of them contacted me out of the blue before 2L OCI, so it helps in terms of networking.
I had the chance to “do lunch,” but it added more time to the interview. I have no idea what we would discuss for 90 minutes, plus lunch. I will research some of their high profile cases, but I honestly do not know whether to bring them up or wait and see if they bring them up (and how knowledgeable should I be about their cases without seeming too rehearsed).

Given the buzz (here and at school) is that 1L SA positions are scarce, I was surprised to receive an interview, especially since grades do not come out until the day of the interview. Since this is my first NYC interview, if anyone has a few tips before Tuesday on what else to expect, it will be appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is basic callback protocol, except usually you do get lunch. I found the interview tough in terms of getting grilled (though another V5 had a much more physically grueling all day callback).

I had the chance to “do lunch,” but it added more time to the interview. I have no idea what we would discuss for 90 minutes, plus lunch. I will research some of their high profile cases, but I honestly do not know whether to bring them up or wait and see if they bring them up (and how knowledgeable should I be about their cases without seeming too rehearsed).

Given the buzz (here and at school) is that 1L SA positions are scarce, I was surprised to receive an interview, especially since grades do not come out until the day of the interview. Since this is my first NYC interview, if anyone has a few tips before Tuesday on what else to expect, it will be appreciated.
Mind being more specific about school? HYS? Chicage? MVPB?

Congrats, just be yourself!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:27 am

T-14 (but not T-6). I checked their web site and saw they have hired a modest number of lawyers from my school (roughly half the size of Harvard). Of course, there is no way (that I know of) to check on how many were once 1L SAs.

Perhaps I am getting way ahead of myself but does anyone know how SAs handle NYC living arrangements? After a quick check it seems like $3K a month could secure a fairly suitable 2 bedroom apartment. Whatever advice anyone has (on any aspect), is appreciated.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 am

You realize you've just outed your school, right?

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote: I had the chance to “do lunch,” but it added more time to the interview. I have no idea what we would discuss for 90 minutes, plus lunch. I will research some of their high profile cases, but I honestly do not know whether to bring them up or wait and see if they bring them up (and how knowledgeable should I be about their cases without seeming too rehearsed).

Just to reiterate what someone else said, unless you explicitly have been told that you will be meeting with partners and associates for the straight 90 minutes, expect 3 30-minute interviews or 4 20-minute interviews. That's the standard. In that case, it's just like having a slightly more in-depth screener with each interviewer. You'll get a lot of the same questions and you'll want to have a "why Wachtell" answer ready in every interview. Don't be afraid to repeat yourself to different people in order to make sure you get the "talking points" about yourself out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:37 am

viking138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I had the chance to “do lunch,” but it added more time to the interview. I have no idea what we would discuss for 90 minutes, plus lunch. I will research some of their high profile cases, but I honestly do not know whether to bring them up or wait and see if they bring them up (and how knowledgeable should I be about their cases without seeming too rehearsed).

Just to reiterate what someone else said, unless you explicitly have been told that you will be meeting with partners and associates for the straight 90 minutes, expect 3 30-minute interviews or 4 20-minute interviews. That's the standard. In that case, it's just like having a slightly more in-depth screener with each interviewer. You'll get a lot of the same questions and you'll want to have a "why Wachtell" answer ready in every interview. Don't be afraid to repeat yourself to different people in order to make sure you get the "talking points" about yourself out there.
Nothing you can do about it now, but for future reference there is really no reason to turn down lunch if you're not running to an afternoon callback. It's the easiest part of the interview - you usually get sent out with younger associates and talk about regular things/ask about their experience at the firm. It gives you another chance to sell yourself in a more low pressure setting (but remember, it's still an interview) and find out what it's like to work there. As we've all mentioned, it is unlikely that you'll be sitting with the 3 same people for 90 minutes straight, so you don't need to worry about running out of things to talk about (though you should prepare to talk for this long if you are interviewing at other V5's with unstructured interviews).

Sounds like you just need to do some basic research on how callback interviews go and the types of questions you will be asked - it's usually all pretty standard. You should have information on your career services website about it - look at the information for 2L OCR/I callbacks, because that's essentially what you're doing. The difference with this firm's interviews seems to be that they ask you to work through legal reasoning and had more of an abrasive/confrontational style challenging what you said whereas other interviews were more chatty. Review the arguments in any theses you listed on your resume/the legal reasoning used in your legal writing class assignment if you want to feel prepared for this type of question. General callback advice -- Have well thought out answers for "Why this firm?" and the usually implied question (though sometimes explicitly asked) "why should we hire you - what will you bring to the firm?" Do research on recent/high profile cases they've worked on and on the firm in general. Bring up the relevant information naturally (usually in the context of "why this firm") and link your own strengths to the work they do / type of firm they are to demonstrate how you'll add value. Stay confident.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:02 pm

viking138 wrote:Just to reiterate what someone else said, unless you explicitly have been told that you will be meeting with partners and associates for the straight 90 minutes, expect 3 30-minute interviews or 4 20-minute interviews. That's the standard. In that case, it's just like having a slightly more in-depth screener with each interviewer. You'll get a lot of the same questions and you'll want to have a "why Wachtell" answer ready in every interview. Don't be afraid to repeat yourself to different people in order to make sure you get the "talking points" about yourself out there.
Your note is, as they say, “spot on.” Individual interviews (some are partners). For whatever idiotic reason I thought this was going to be a straight 90 minute beatdown interview (the reasoning of a novice). Next time I will opt for lunch!

Additional greenhorn reasoning. Safely assuming no one is hired immediately after the interviews, I presume they will provide some sort of timetable on what happens next (plus, request grades). I imagine if they ding me, it will be quick, however, if I survive to the next level, any idea on what happens then (both timeline and otherwise)?

Given that no 1L I know yet has a NYC SA interview, I am trying to deduce “why me?” I have no grades, no contacts, no minority status, not an Ivy undergrad, no 4.0 GPA. I guess the plan is, be appreciative and roll with whatever falls out of the sky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nothing you can do about it now, but for future reference there is really no reason to turn down lunch if you're not running to an afternoon callback. It's the easiest part of the interview - you usually get sent out with younger associates and talk about regular things/ask about their experience at the firm. It gives you another chance to sell yourself in a more low pressure setting (but remember, it's still an interview) and find out what it's like to work there. As we've all mentioned, it is unlikely that you'll be sitting with the 3 same people for 90 minutes straight, so you don't need to worry about running out of things to talk about (though you should prepare to talk for this long if you are interviewing at other V5's with unstructured interviews).

Sounds like you just need to do some basic research on how callback interviews go and the types of questions you will be asked - it's usually all pretty standard. You should have information on your career services website about it - look at the information for 2L OCR/I callbacks, because that's essentially what you're doing. The difference with this firm's interviews seems to be that they ask you to work through legal reasoning and had more of an abrasive/confrontational style challenging what you said whereas other interviews were more chatty. Review the arguments in any theses you listed on your resume/the legal reasoning used in your legal writing class assignment if you want to feel prepared for this type of question. General callback advice -- Have well thought out answers for "Why this firm?" and the usually implied question (though sometimes explicitly asked) "why should we hire you - what will you bring to the firm?" Do research on recent/high profile cases they've worked on and on the firm in general. Bring up the relevant information naturally (usually in the context of "why this firm") and link your own strengths to the work they do / type of firm they are to demonstrate how you'll add value. Stay confident.
Great input, thanks. This weekend researching as much as I can on those conducting the interviews. If the opportunity ever arises again I will definitely opt-in for the lunch.

On interview day, should I arrive early, if so, how early?

BTW: Whenever I have seen the term “callback” I thought it was in reference to a screening, but obviously callback can also mean a response to a standard resume. Learning as we go! Again, thx.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Given that no 1L I know yet has a NYC SA interview, I am trying to deduce “why me?” I have no grades, no contacts, no minority status, not an Ivy undergrad, no 4.0 GPA. I guess the plan is, be appreciative and roll with whatever falls out of the sky.
Are you sure you're interviewing at Wachtell? Everything you've said is entirely inconsistent with everything I've ever heard about Wachtell 1L hiring. It really doesn't make any sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:46 pm

You obviously know more about "W" than I do. Any advice on what is consistent?

BTW: I sent resumes to a half dozen firms, not expecting much ITE. I figured a mass mailing would make sense after exam scores were available. I know zip about any of these metropolitan firms, other than their ranking.

Yesterday I heard that a few two cohorts were contacted by firms, so perhaps 1L SA possibilities are not totally dead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You obviously know more about "W" than I do. Any advice on what is consistent?

BTW: I sent resumes to a half dozen firms, not expecting much ITE. I figured a mass mailing would make sense after exam scores were available. I know zip about any of these metropolitan firms, other than their ranking.

Yesterday I heard that a few two cohorts were contacted by firms, so perhaps 1L SA possibilities are not totally dead.
None of your posts says expressly that you were invited to interview at Wachtell, though you've tried to imply it. Wachtell's 1L program is advertised as a diversity program, and requires you to submit grades, both undergrad and law school. They recruit actively at only a handful of schools, basically T-6 and Penn. What you've said is inconsistent with these criteria, so are you sure you're interviewing at Wachtell?

dww

New

Post by dww » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wachtell's 1L program is advertised as a diversity program
Really? Judging by the people I know who worked there for 1L, "jewish" was about as diverse as they got.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Really? Judging by the people I know who worked there for 1L, "jewish" was about as diverse as they got.

LOL, then that must mean you know all of the 1Ls who summered there right?

Because from the people I know of, "black" was about as diverse as they got.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dww

New

Post by dww » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hence me starting off with "judging by the people I know," moron. Then again, I remember the last thread I saw you in, and you were viciously defending your point of view for a couple pages or so before you discovered you had, in fact, misread what another poster said. So I'm not expecting a lot out of you.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hence me starting off with "judging by the people I know," moron. Then again, I remember the last thread I saw you in, and you were viciously defending your point of view for a couple pages or so before you discovered you had, in fact, misread what another poster said. So I'm not expecting a lot out of you.
Oh, so your point is really just useless then. Got it.

And you're incompetent at using the anonymous feature. That's a two-fer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”