Wachtell 1L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wachtell 1L

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Has anyone heard anything?

Anonymous User

Re: Wachtell 1L

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 pm

No one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 am

I had a callback with them for a 1L position last year. I ultimately didn't get the job, I don't think they care much about grades, it's more about WE/School than anything else. FYI I was HYS+HYP undergrad, worked at Lazard for a couple years, and am a URM. Good luck though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Do you remember when you had the call back?

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a callback with them for a 1L position last year. I ultimately didn't get the job, I don't think they care much about grades, it's more about WE/School than anything else. FYI I was HYS+HYP undergrad, worked at Lazard for a couple years, and am a URM. Good luck though
not OT but dear god if you didnt get it who does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:03 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a callback with them for a 1L position last year. I ultimately didn't get the job, I don't think they care much about grades, it's more about WE/School than anything else. FYI I was HYS+HYP undergrad, worked at Lazard for a couple years, and am a URM. Good luck though
A girl from my CCN + BIGSTATEU undergrad did. K-JD too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
I think I know who this is... and her first semester GPA was above a 4.0 (multiple A+s). So, if you have a 4.0+ first semester GPA, Wachtell is less picky about WE/undergrad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:23 pm

Not to scare you guys, but I also had a callback last year and didn't get it. HYS, HYP undergrad, Ivy advanced degree, WE, URM. Grades were something like top 25%. However my WE wasn't anything finance/corporate-related, and even now I tend to lean more toward litigation, so that may have had something to do with it. Also, one of the people I know who did get it went to a state school, and (I think) not one of the big ones, so things like that may not matter as much.

Good luck to those applying!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
I think I know who this is... and her first semester GPA was above a 4.0 (multiple A+s). So, if you have a 4.0+ first semester GPA, Wachtell is less picky about WE/undergrad.
Not thinking of the same person then

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:36 am

Connections matter a great deal with Wachtell 1L SAs. I've known relatively unimpressive resumes to get a spot of they can get someone at Wachtell or formerly at Wachtell to put in a word.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
I know who you're talking about and I'll just say there were mad, mad connections involved there, so hopeful 1Ls probably shouldn't get their hopes up.

HITeacher2

New

Post by HITeacher2 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 pm

The easiest way to get into Wachtell 1L is to work as a consultant at McKinsey or BCG, or as an investment banker Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley or JP Morgan, then go to HYS for law school.

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:16 am

HITeacher2 wrote:The easiest way to get into Wachtell 1L is to work as a consultant at McKinsey or BCG, or as an investment banker Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley or JP Morgan, then go to HYS for law school.
Yes. And the easiest way to be elected president is to win a majority of the electoral votes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not to scare you guys, but I also had a callback last year and didn't get it. HYS, HYP undergrad, Ivy advanced degree, WE, URM. Grades were something like top 25%. However my WE wasn't anything finance/corporate-related, and even now I tend to lean more toward litigation, so that may have had something to do with it. Also, one of the people I know who did get it went to a state school, and (I think) not one of the big ones, so things like that may not matter as much.

Haha you also have to be able to communicate well with others. Ivy degree after Ivy degree isn't going to do it. Know one person who went to my UG and CCN law who got it. I have a feeling communication skills and looks have a lot to do with it.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:20 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to scare you guys, but I also had a callback last year and didn't get it. HYS, HYP undergrad, Ivy advanced degree, WE, URM. Grades were something like top 25%. However my WE wasn't anything finance/corporate-related, and even now I tend to lean more toward litigation, so that may have had something to do with it. Also, one of the people I know who did get it went to a state school, and (I think) not one of the big ones, so things like that may not matter as much.

Haha you also have to be able to communicate well with others. Ivy degree after Ivy degree isn't going to do it. Know one person who went to my UG and CCN law who got it. I have a feeling communication skills and looks have a lot to do with it.
LOL the people I know who got it have neither.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:20 am

HITeacher2 wrote:The easiest way to get into Wachtell 1L is to work as a consultant at McKinsey or BCG, or as an investment banker Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley or JP Morgan, then go to HYS for law school.
Wrong. Easiest way is SEO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:25 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
GTFO of here. SEO has 70+ people, with likely over 90% going to HYSCCN. Wachtell has 6 positions, and they're not going to take 6 SEOs... just not going to happen.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:26 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Plus they already take SEOs as 0Ls.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything?
Not yet :(

Just a confirmation email and a reminder to send grades.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
GTFO of here. SEO has 70+ people, with likely over 90% going to HYSCCN. Wachtell has 6 positions, and they're not going to take 6 SEOs... just not going to happen.
LOL I never said they took six SEOs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 am

False re: SEO, I was an SEO and they didn't necessarily make returning 1L offers to their 0L SEOs. Also, it's a bit silly to freak out about not getting Wachtell as a 1L, because not only are you NOT even in the running for a full-time offer, but the 1L program also precludes you from returning as a 2L. Better to go for it as a 2L if you actually want to work there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:but the 1L program also precludes you from returning as a 2L.
I know somebody who worked there during 1L (Summer 2010) and during 2L (Summer 2011).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I know somebody who worked there during 1L (Summer 2010) and during 2L (Summer 2011).
Did the person return for the entire 2L summer, or just a couple of weeks after doing a summer program somewhere else? Did the person get an offer to return as a full time associate?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm not sure that being a 1L summer associate "precludes" you from being a 2L summer associate there. I'm pretty sure that 1L summer associates have to bid and interview just like everyone else, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did the person return for the entire 2L summer, or just a couple of weeks after doing a summer program somewhere else? Did the person get an offer to return as a full time associate?
She spent the entire 2L summer there and I believe did get an offer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”