lower T14 grades around median, how screwed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
c3pO4

Re: lower T14 grades around median, how screwed?

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:Seriously. You WILL get offers from loyola IP fair.

Stop. This isn't true. Nothing is certain and you're not helping. Even if OP is likely to get a job, it's destructive for lurkers reading & for the OP to tell him/her that they *will* get a job.

OK dumbass, but you are even worse trying to discredit what I'm saying even if it is optimistic.

You seriously think this guy shouldn't go to Loyola IP fair? The reason I emphasized it is because I know a few people who didn't go to Loyola IP and struck out at OCI, and know more than a few people who had biglaw offers before OCI even started from Loyola IP fair. Skipping that is easy to do and a huge mistake. But at least you are here to play the pessimism schtick and potentially discourage people from going to a key job fair. Congrats.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Stop. This isn't true. Nothing is certain and you're not helping. Even if OP is likely to get a job, it's destructive for lurkers reading & for the OP to tell him/her that they *will* get a job.

I firmly agree with this and really can't understand the tone of this thread. I have friends at my T14 in OP's exact situation (median, IP, WE) who are graduating with no jobs, let alone firm jobs or good firm jobs. It will all be on how broadly OP searches (including the Loyola fair) and how well he learns to interview.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm

c3pO4 wrote:You seriously think this guy shouldn't go to Loyola IP fair?

Of course OP should go to the Loyola IP fair. I never suggested or implied that he or she shouldn't.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:33 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Well, nothing is guaranteed. But I don't know any EE grads from t14s who did NOT get at least one offer from LPIP (and I know about 50-60 EEs with t14 credentials). But it's unclear whether OP is EE or not.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Geez people, chill. OP, you chill too. No, median grades at a T14 are not a lock. Far from it. But you will definitely be competitive, especially with an IP background No reason to be stressing like this after just one semester of law school.

C3p0, stop twisting what other people say. Thesealocust never said OP shouldnt target IP fairs and IP jobs. You're just painting too broad and overly optimistic of picture.

burtonrideclub

Postby burtonrideclub » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:10 pm

I was median at lower T14 and had six V100 offers. Bid wisely, if you are personable that can go a long way.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:04 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Espeically since material science engineering isn't a major type of patent. I suspect there is demand, but it's not a closed deal.

In fact IP SECURE is a total myth. It's a lot easier than other big law, but it's by no means shooting fish in a barrel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Espeically since material science engineering isn't a major type of patent. I suspect there is demand, but it's not a closed deal.
In fact IP SECURE is a total myth. It's a lot easier than other big law, but it's by no means shooting fish in a barrel.

Yeah. I don't believe in anything-SECURE (except perhaps top 10% in T14 or HYS). So more or less only EE and CompSci are in demand? I have some summer research experience with the EE department I wonder how much that would help. Certainly wouldn't hurt to highlight I suppose.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Espeically since material science engineering isn't a major type of patent. I suspect there is demand, but it's not a closed deal.

Yeah. I don't believe in anything-SECURE (except perhaps top 10% in T14 or HYS). So more or less only EE and CompSci are in demand? I have some summer research experience with the EE department I wonder how much that would help. Certainly wouldn't hurt to highlight I suppose.

When I interviewed with firms, they seemed to really care about the EE degree more than anything else. It's tough to say how much your research experience would help you. I agree that IP SECURE is a myth because nothing is 100% guaranteed. However, if you're from a t14, you have a EE degree, and you're not at the bottom of the class, you're going to have to screw up pretty badly to not get anything out of LPIP.
Last edited by Julio_El_Chavo on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They are just the most in demand. You'll have to do more research about MatSci.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:They are just the most in demand. You'll have to do more research about MatSci.

sorry to ask so many questions, where does one research for this demand? look through firms' websites and bid accordingly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:42 pm

burtonrideclub wrote:I was median at lower T14 and had six V100 offers. Bid wisely, if you are personable that can go a long way.

And I know people who were median at my lower T14 (not GULC) who had 0 V100 offers, bid fairly well and were personable. Nothing is guaranteed.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:44 am

thesealocust wrote:Nothing is certain

+1.

Anonymous User wrote:I'd have to get something from OCI before patent bar, no?

The application process to sit for the exam takes 2-4 weeks, and it's a bit of a hassle. Once you're cleared, you'll have roughly 3 months to take the exam. Expect to study for 150-200 hours.

If you take the computer exam, you'll immediately receive a preliminary pass/fail. Official notice of the result will arrive by mail within a few days. After that, you'll send in an oath. You'll then have to wait another two months or so for OED clearance (during this time, the Official Gazette will publish your name among those seeking registration to practice).

NOTE: The PTO only publishes names of those who have actually passed the exam. It does not publish names of those who have failed or merely registered to take the exam.

Things you might consider putting on your resume:

1. Eligible to take the exam. I recall a PLIP-sponsored webcast where this was advised. But I've heard PLIP interviewers chuckle at this over lunch. I think it's a silly idea for most people, unless they have an oddball major that might not be recognized as eligible.

2. Approved to take the exam. I guess this is better than simply saying that you're eligible (you've made a commitment to take the exam), but interviewers will probably ask how it went, so be warned that you might make a bad impression on interviewers if you've backed out (or failed) by the time PLIP rolls around.

3. Scheduled to take the exam. Probably pretty much the same as saying you're approved to take the exam. Consider this (or #2) if your tech background is weak and you're concerned that you don't appear to be seriously interested in IP. Still, remember the risk.

3. Preliminarily passed the exam. Essentially the same as saying you're confirmed to have passed. I recall an expert saying that they have never heard of a preliminary pass being reversed.

4. Passed the exam. Pretty much as good as having a registration number, but it does look a bit sloppier on the resume. Firms won't care that you haven't yet cleared the Official Gazette screening step.

5. Registered. Yay.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:They are just the most in demand. You'll have to do more research about MatSci.

sorry to ask so many questions, where does one research for this demand? look through firms' websites and bid accordingly?

There are threads about bid strategy. I haven't read them, but they're probably worth scanning.

For more info about MatSci, keep an eye on job postings. You might also ask around on the intelproplaw forums (which have been down for a few days).

Return to “Legal Employment”