"original student work product"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSNYC

"original student work product"

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm applying to some firms that require a writing sample that is "original student work product." Does that mean I can't submit a LW memo if my LWI commented on it and I made changes based on that?

MrAnon

Re: "original student work product"

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:01 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I'm applying to some firms that require a writing sample that is "original student work product." Does that mean I can't submit a LW memo if my LWI commented on it and I made changes based on that?

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Submit the best writing sample that you can. For what it's worth, I've always interpreted the rule as only prohibiting substantial edits.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Microsoft Word's paperclip dude corrected some of the grammar in my memo. Does this mean I can't submit that?

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Are you all kidding?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:44 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I'm applying to some firms that require a writing sample that is "original student work product." Does that mean I can't submit a LW memo if my LWI commented on it and I made changes based on that?

Let's put it this way, would the legal writing department of your school allow teachers or TAs to add their own original content to your memo?

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Submit the best writing sample that you can. For what it's worth, I've always interpreted the rule as only prohibiting substantial edits.

Your "interpretation" is wrong and possibly unethical.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:27 am

leobowski wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Submit the best writing sample that you can. For what it's worth, I've always interpreted the rule as only prohibiting substantial edits.

Your "interpretation" is wrong and possibly unethical.

I think his interpretation is fine. Some people don't have anything that's totally sans edits, and you obviously aren't expected to write something new to send to employers.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:40 am

flcath wrote:I think his interpretation is fine. Some people don't have anything that's totally sans edits, and you obviously aren't expected to write something new to send to employers.

I've always viewed it as original= original. If it's received minor, non-substantive edits, just mention it in the cover letter.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:59 am

leobowski wrote:
flcath wrote:I think his interpretation is fine. Some people don't have anything that's totally sans edits, and you obviously aren't expected to write something new to send to employers.

I've always viewed it as original= original. If it's received minor, non-substantive edits, just mention it in the cover letter.

Yeah, this sounds like a good option.

My best work actually did happen to be totally unedited, but I could totally see some schools having it set up where essentially all of your work goes through some editing.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:23 am

You guys joking? If you submit a first draft you are just dumb and deserve not to get the job. The guy who gets the job isn't turning in a first draft.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 am

MrAnon wrote:You guys joking? If you submit a first draft you are just dumb and deserve not to get the job. The guy who gets the job isn't turning in a first draft.

you could edit your own stuff, obviously

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:31 pm

leobowski wrote:I've always viewed it as original= original. If it's received minor, non-substantive edits, just mention it in the cover letter.

This. I always had a cover page on my WS introducing the document and noting that it incorporates minor editing suggestions from my previous supervisor.

-Pufer

Return to “Legal Employment”