What range of firms should i shoot for with x grades?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What range of firms should i shoot for with x grades?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:49 pm

2L at T30 @ top 1/5- top 1/4

Lincoln

Re: What range of firms should i shoot for with x grades?

Postby Lincoln » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Impossible to say without knowing more: what markets you are interested in, what internships you've done, whether you have work experience, what firms actually recruit at your school...

Edited for being written by an idiot (i.e. me)
Last edited by Lincoln on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:22 pm

Your career offices should have a list of firms with grade ranges for successful applicants during past OCI programs.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:54 pm

wat t30, big difference between emory and fordham

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:Your career offices should have a list of firms with grade ranges for successful applicants during past OCI programs.

LOL. You go to a top school, don't you? My Career Services looked at me like I had grown another head when I mentioned this to them.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:07 pm

kalvano wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Your career offices should have a list of firms with grade ranges for successful applicants during past OCI programs.

LOL. You go to a top school, don't you? My Career Services looked at me like I had grown another head when I mentioned this to them.

Really? This service is probably more important to lower ranked schools. So could OP go to career services and ask what firms are possible?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:13 pm

He could, but results vary.

I was told to look at the grade ranges listed by the firm for guidance, even though they also told us to ignore those because firms lie.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:53 pm

We need the name of the school. Because you didn't name the school, I figure that the school isn't BC/BU. Assuming also that you cannot do patent law, you should target NLJ and mid sized firms in the market of the school and in the markets where you have ties.

Be prepared, however, to not get an NLJ firm. You most likely won't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Would it be worth it to turn down an off from a non-nlj firm in my target market that pays decently in order to pursue a lower nlj firm in my target market? My guess is no.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Really? This service is probably more important to lower ranked schools. So could OP go to career services and ask what firms are possible?

Not necessarily. Past grade cutoffs aren't as important in a preselect bidding system, unless there are more firms than available bids at OCI. In a preselect system, students max out their bids and allow the firm to say no at the bidding phase.

In a lottery system students don't want to waste a bid + potential screening interview on a firm they don't have a shot at because of grade cutoffs, so students use past applicant profiles to filter which firms they should bid on in the lottery.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:21 pm

It's a bit early to be worrying about this. For 1L summer, you should just apply everywhere in the country.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:37 pm

OP said (s)he is a 2L. In that case, you should be looking at any firm that will look at your resume this late in the game, but you'll probably have more luck away from the well trodden path (Vault 100 type firms) which have already done OCI and have full summer classes. The rest of the NLJ 250 and smaller firms in markets you have ties are the place to target now. Your grades + school combination give you a shot at landing a job but won't make very many firms stand up and take notice (or immediately write you off, for what it's worth).

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L at T30 @ top 1/5- top 1/4

Wait, you haven't started looking for a job yet? You should've asked this question last June and you would've had a biglaw job by now... At this point, you need to mailbomb shitlaw firms.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:56 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L at T30 @ top 1/5- top 1/4

Wait, you haven't started looking for a job yet? You should've asked this question last June and you would've had a biglaw job by now... At this point, you need to mailbomb shitlaw firms.

Big law from top 20-25% at a T20-30? It's unlikely outside of BC/BU.

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be worth it to turn down an off from a non-nlj firm in my target market that pays decently in order to pursue a lower nlj firm in my target market? My guess is no.

Good god no. If you were top 10%/LR at a T30, my opinion would be different. However, if your career services does not forbid it, you could accept the offer and continue to shop around.

Return to “Legal Employment”