PI Job Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PI Job Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:44 am

I am a 2L at a regional school and am in the top third of my class. Before law school, I was hoping to practice corporate law, but with a regional school and my grades I have pretty much given that up. Last summer I applied for a job from my school's job bank and was offered a position at a solo PI firm. The attorney I work for is a young, hungry attorney who has went from 3 employees to over 25 in the past two years. The other day my he told me that he plans on keeping me on as an attorney after I graduate. I have no clue what the salary would be, but he pays well for me only being a clerk at the moment. My rough estimate is around 75k based on what I heard that he pays starting attorneys around the office. He is an awesome guy and provides many perks as well. My question is: Would you take the position? I should mention that I have a wife and two kids, so for the money, it seems like a no-brainer. However, I feel as if I would be selling out.

dr123

Re: PI Job Offer?

Postby dr123 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 2L at a regional school and am in the top third of my class. Before law school, I was hoping to practice corporate law, but with a regional school and my grades I have pretty much given that up. Last summer I applied for a job from my school's job bank and was offered a position at a solo PI firm. The attorney I work for is a young, hungry attorney who has went from 3 employees to over 25 in the past two years. The other day my he told me that he plans on keeping me on as an attorney after I graduate. I have no clue what the salary would be, but he pays well for me only being a clerk at the moment. My rough estimate is around 75k based on what I heard that he pays starting attorneys around the office. He is an awesome guy and provides many perks as well. My question is: Would you take the position? I should mention that I have a wife and two kids, so for the money, it seems like a no-brainer. However, I feel as if I would be selling out.

Wut?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:49 am

People tend to look down on PI attorneys as bottom tier sell outs is what I mean...

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:39 am

Are you seriously retarded? You have mediocre credentials, a family to feed, and a decent gig lined up with no better prospects. Don't worry about "selling out."

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:00 am

you've got a family to feed man, I would take it

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:09 am

There is only 1 reason to turn down an offer for a paying job: in order to accept a different offer you have been extended for a paying job.

Return to “Legal Employment”