Long-ish commute to SA - Will firm care?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Long-ish commute to SA - Will firm care?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 pm

So, I am considering a 1.5 hour (each way) commute from where I am currently living now to my SA major-market job location. The reasons are that even if I get a place in the city, I will come home to spend weekends with my spouse. I could save a good deal by just commuting and the hassle of commuting probably wont be that much more than going back and forth every weekend. A fair amount of people from the area where I live commute to the city for permanent jobs, although I'm sure they don't work biglaw hours.

My main concern is that those at the firm might think I am not that committed considering they are paying me market salary and I'm not even living in the city for the summer. Is this a rational worry? No-offers are not a big problem at the firm, but I don't want to make myself stand out in a negative way. As far as handling the commute, I am not that worried about leaving home at 7:30 and getting home at 10-12PM for just the summer. I have handled long work hours before and I can sleep/work on the train if I need to. Main concern is perception at the firm. Will anyone care?

Unitas

Re: Long-ish commute to SA - Will firm care?

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I am considering a 1.5 hour (each way) commute from where I am currently living now to my SA major-market job location. The reasons are that even if I get a place in the city, I will come home to spend weekends with my spouse. I could save a good deal by just commuting and the hassle of commuting probably wont be that much more than going back and forth every weekend. A fair amount of people from the area where I live commute to the city for permanent jobs, although I'm sure they don't work biglaw hours.

My main concern is that those at the firm might think I am not that committed considering they are paying me market salary and I'm not even living in the city for the summer. Is this a rational worry? No-offers are not a big problem at the firm, but I don't want to make myself stand out in a negative way. As far as handling the commute, I am not that worried about leaving home at 7:30 and getting home at 10-12PM for just the summer. I have handled long work hours before and I can sleep/work on the train if I need to. Main concern is perception at the firm. Will anyone care?

It seems only likely to come up in social settings and then you can just spin it as being thrifty and talk about how it doesn't bother you and you will just get a hotel anytime you need to stay but are also actively looking for housing for after you graduate and get some suggestions from people on it. Besides firm events you will likely not be at the office that late during the summer anyhow. Don't skip the events though.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 pm

I don't think they will care. I had a similar situation during the summer. I split an apartment with a friend in the city, but still went home to my spouse about 2-3 nights a week (70 minute commute or so). Some associates told me I would not want to live that far out of the city when I started work for real. Just make sure that you attend all the social events and don't make a big deal about it.

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:35 pm

KMaine wrote:I don't think they will care. I had a similar situation during the summer. I split an apartment with a friend in the city, but still went home to my spouse about 2-3 nights a week (70 minute commute or so). Some associates told me I would not want to live that far out of the city when I started work for real. Just make sure that you attend all the social events and don't make a big deal about it.

This. I had a daily two hour commute each way during my SA last summer. As long as you can still do good work and participate in the social events, it is not a problem.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Don't be late/rumpled from the commute. Don't mention the commute or gripe about it or they will think you aren't committed to absurd hours. Never miss afterhours events and keep a hotel number handy. One firm I interviewed with said they no-offered two summers the year before for missing firm events. Another that I'm going to said they only no-offer for insufficient sociability, including missing afterhours events or turning down meal invitations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:53 pm

OP here - Thanks to all for the advice. I certainly won't miss any social events, and with as much as I'm saving, won't hesitate to stay at a hotel if needed after a late event. Glad to see others have done this before.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:59 pm

The social aspect seems to be the only problem I imagine that would result in the firm caring, and you seem to fully understand what you need to do so I would say don't worry about the commute.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:14 pm

That commute is going to be brutal, as you already know. It may impact your attitude at work, because long commutes blow. Three fricken hours a day in the car is exhausting. That's 15 fricken hours a week. A night in the city here and there may save your sanity and keep your mind sharp, which in the end is ultimatley the most important for making a good impression. Good luck.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Someone at my firm did it, it was no big deal outside of the obvious personal / social toll.

Return to “Legal Employment”