Unemployed 3Ls

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unemployed 3Ls

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:26 am

I am a currently unemployed 3L and while I had high hopes for a permanent job by now, I find myself unemployed. I'm interested in the Southeast region (GA/TN) as well as DC. I was wondering if anyone has had any success in getting a job in either of these areas recently as a 3L. If so, I'd love to hear your success story. Also, if anyone has advice to offer about how to snag one of these jobs, I'd love to hear that too.

Stats:
T10 Law School (towards the lower end of T10)
Bottom 1/3 class ranking

I have decent ties to the southeast. The big firms are obviously out b/c of grades but what about the smaller firms or even working as a DA?

I guess it's too late for honors atty jobs in DC, but are there any small firms hiring or other gov't positions still available?

Thanks in advance!

LawIdiot86

Re: Unemployed 3Ls

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:04 am

Do you have any special skills that would fit in a niche/boutique practice? I can name four or five small firms I know would consider hiring the right person in DC, but they are looking for specific backgrounds. Don't know about DA hiring. Also, certain specialties are hiring in Charlotte and Atlanta.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:40 pm

How did you find out about the small firms hiring, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm another unemployed 3L, at a T14, and our job postings have been bone dry.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How did you find out about the small firms hiring, if you don't mind me asking?

Emailed 1,200 lawyers last summer asking them out for coffee, met with ~60 and got to know their practices and learn their hiring cycle, then reconnected with them at local bar events and conferences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stats:
Bottom 1/3 class ranking
Thanks in advance!

As a T-10er ITE I am nervous about jobs, more so if my ranking turns up at median. Panicky would barely describe it if I ended up at in the bottom third. How have you tried to circumvent this low ranking obstacle? It must come up a lot, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:39 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How did you find out about the small firms hiring, if you don't mind me asking?

Emailed 1,200 lawyers last summer asking them out for coffee, met with ~60 and got to know their practices and learn their hiring cycle, then reconnected with them at local bar events and conferences.

Oh god. And I thought I was networking pretty hard since the summer.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Stats:
Bottom 1/3 class ranking
Thanks in advance!

As a T-10er ITE I am nervous about jobs, more so if my ranking turns up at median. Panicky would barely describe it if I ended up at in the bottom third. How have you tried to circumvent this low ranking obstacle? It must come up a lot, right?

OP was asking for advice, not offering to give it. HTH

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:26 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:

LawIdiot, I think what you've done is pretty interesting to me and I'd guess a fair number of people on this board. Would you be willing to write a post (maybe start a thread so as not to derail this one) describing your process with a little more detail? Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”