Profits per Partner question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Profits per Partner question

Postby nsbane » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 pm

.,
Last edited by nsbane on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:09 pm

nsbane wrote:How much do they make a year? It can't be the same number as profits per partner, can it?


Why can't it?

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby omninode » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Presumably some partners make more than others?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 am

1) It's total profits divided by the number of equity partners.

2) PPP almost never equals how much each equity partner makes. For some firms, what a partner earns is based entirely on his seniority; at other firms, it's based on a combination of his seniority and how much business he brings in; and at yet other firms, it's based purely on how much business the partner brings in.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 am

Also a lot of those PPP numbers are made up

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:47 am

Grizz wrote:Also a lot of those PPP numbers are made up


Yes and no. If a firm is continuing to recruit star partners, you can bet those star partners are flocking to that firm on the basis of real numbers.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:54 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Grizz wrote:Also a lot of those PPP numbers are made up


Yes and no. If a firm is continuing to recruit star partners, you can bet those star partners are flocking to that firm on the basis of real numbers.

The numbers they tell you are often made up, which is what matters.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 am

Partner salaries range from 300k-3 million. Very few make more than 2 million per year. Many make around 1 million.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 am

Grizz wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Grizz wrote:Also a lot of those PPP numbers are made up


Yes and no. If a firm is continuing to recruit star partners, you can bet those star partners are flocking to that firm on the basis of real numbers.

The numbers they tell you are often made up, which is what matters.


Again, actions speak louder than words. That was the implication of my prior post, but it looks like it went over your head.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Profits per Partner question

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:14 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Grizz wrote:Also a lot of those PPP numbers are made up


Yes and no. If a firm is continuing to recruit star partners, you can bet those star partners are flocking to that firm on the basis of real numbers.

The numbers they tell you are often made up, which is what matters.


Again, actions speak louder than words. That was the implication of my prior post, but it looks like it went over your head.

I didn't miss it duder




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.