Bar Admission Related Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar Admission Related Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:58 pm

I've tried calling the bar admission offices and looking at the websites, but haven't been able to figure much out so I thought I'd ask it here.

1. Does DC still allow you to take another state's bar and then waive into it? I know friends that did this a couple of years ago but someone told me that DC rules might have changed.

2. If you can still waive into DC by passing another state's bar exam, is there anything you need to file with DC bar admissions office? Do I need to apply for a separate character & fitness application for DC and/or anything else?

3. For those people unemployed and undecided on which bar exam to take, are you just taking it in your home state?

4. Any suggestions on jurisdictions where it might still be possible to get a job from someone from a T10 law school in the bottom third?

Thanks!

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: Bar Admission Related Questions

Post by LawIdiot86 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 pm

As to where to take the.bar, take it in NY or CA unless you go to Penn, in which case you should do PA or Chi/Mich where you should do IL. you should look first in the market around your school if it is an actual city, then your hometown if it isn't bumblefuck, then NY-NJ/DC/LA/TX/GA in that order. Don't go near Philly or Boston or Florida unless you are from there/went to law school there. Don't go near Chicago or Denver or Ohio unless you have some decent tie to the region.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:28 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:As to where to take the.bar, take it in NY or CA unless you go to Penn, in which case you should do PA or Chi/Mich where you should do IL. you should look first in the market around your school if it is an actual city, then your hometown if it isn't bumblefuck, then NY-NJ/DC/LA/TX/GA in that order. Don't go near Philly or Boston or Florida unless you are from there/went to law school there. Don't go near Chicago or Denver or Ohio unless you have some decent tie to the region.

OP here. Thanks for your reply.
Would you still recommend taking it in NY if you got no-offered from a NY firm? Also, my grades are in bottom 1/3 of a T10 school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:35 am

Still the OP. Just wanted to clarify I meant I got no-offered after summering at a NY firm.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:55 am

Being no-offered sucks, sorry to hear that. Did they say why? Were you in a narrow practice area like ERISA or something huge like corporate? You could certainly try the reinvention strategy and take the CA bar claiming you wanted to leave NY. It would be hard to explain that action to a DC firm though. Do you have any other natural markets? If it's an ultra-narrow market, you're probably in trouble everywhere as all firms would talk and know each other. If it's super-broad like commercial litigation, changing tiers in NYC or going to a different market might be sufficient.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've tried calling the bar admission offices and looking at the websites, but haven't been able to figure much out so I thought I'd ask it here.

1. Does DC still allow you to take another state's bar and then waive into it? I know friends that did this a couple of years ago but someone told me that DC rules might have changed.

2. If you can still waive into DC by passing another state's bar exam, is there anything you need to file with DC bar admissions office? Do I need to apply for a separate character & fitness application for DC and/or anything else?

3. For those people unemployed and undecided on which bar exam to take, are you just taking it in your home state?

4. Any suggestions on jurisdictions where it might still be possible to get a job from someone from a T10 law school in the bottom third?

Thanks!
Yes you can gain DC admission on motion wihout examination

http://www.dcappeals.gov/dccourts/appeals/coa/index.jsp

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”