job advice 1l AG/FIRM/Judge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

job advice 1l AG/FIRM/Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:57 pm

I recently received an offer from a top PI organization, and have until January 16th to give them an answer.

I also had a very positive interview with a firm, and have one lined up with a magistrate judge.

Now, our grades come in much much later. The firms offer is contingent on my grades and when I told them about the dilema they asked me to get back to them with an indication from the registrars or the profs about my grades (but blind grading so they cant)

so all in all, if I don't know my grades...what should I do??? I am fine with the PI job, its great, but I would prefer the firm. If I get the judge should I just accept and try to split with the firm? Since the PI organization wont split?

Or as the PI job for more time to decide????

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12586
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: job advice 1l AG/FIRM/Judge

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:29 pm

do you want to work in PI? i take it you don't since you would prefer the firm job. i would probably ask them for an extension instead of accepting or denying at this point because what would you do if the magistrate interview went horribly and your grades weren't so hot? it never hurts to ask.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: job advice 1l AG/FIRM/Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:58 pm

I asked and they said no. :(. Any last min. advice about what I might get out of the judge, I just want to go into the judge interview being ready to say yes, or if I know I dont want it ready to say no since I know you dont get time to decide with them.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: job advice 1l AG/FIRM/Judge

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:10 pm

I don't think whether you do PI, judge internship, or a summer associate program makes a huge difference in terms of pursuing a 2L summer firm job. There's really no harm in taking the PI offer, unless you really need the cash the firm would provide. I faced a similar dilemma for my 1L summer and it made no difference at the end of the day. The extra $30,000 would have been nice, though. No denying that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: job advice 1l AG/FIRM/Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:I don't think whether you do PI, judge internship, or a summer associate program makes a huge difference in terms of pursuing a 2L summer firm job. There's really no harm in taking the PI offer, unless you really need the cash the firm would provide. I faced a similar dilemma for my 1L summer and it made no difference at the end of the day. The extra $30,000 would have been nice, though. No denying that.

I know your right, I just don't want to give up the chance of actually getting paid which is why I have been so cagey about taking the original position. If the judge says yes I might just try and split but if not the PI position will get a nod from me. Thank you all for the responses!

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: job advice 1l AG/FIRM/Judge

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:I don't think whether you do PI, judge internship, or a summer associate program makes a huge difference in terms of pursuing a 2L summer firm job. There's really no harm in taking the PI offer, unless you really need the cash the firm would provide. I faced a similar dilemma for my 1L summer and it made no difference at the end of the day. The extra $30,000 would have been nice, though. No denying that.

I know your right, I just don't want to give up the chance of actually getting paid which is why I have been so cagey about taking the original position. If the judge says yes I might just try and split but if not the PI position will get a nod from me. Thank you all for the responses!


I don't know if this is just a personal peeve of mind, but also consider that it's not a good idea to wait until the last minute to accept an offer. Just sends bad signals to the organization you're accepting. It probably wouldn't have any lasting impact here, and I'm probably just making shit up in my head, but it's just something to consider I guess.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.