2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 pm

2L at T2 that struck out at OCI. T15%, secondary journal. Went 0/7 on callbacks (4 of them were through "connections" so they were most likely courtesy interviews). We just got grades and I got straight As. This will probably put me in top 5-8%.. what should i do now? im so lost with options.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Start mass-mailing smaller firms inquiring about summer opportunities. A lot of the smaller ones don't even start considering summer positions until January / February, so you aren't too late.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L at T2 that struck out at OCI. T15%, secondary journal. Went 0/7 on callbacks (4 of them were through "connections" so they were most likely courtesy interviews). We just got grades and I got straight As. This will probably put me in top 5-8%.. what should i do now? im so lost with options.


I'd apply widely to small, mid-size and large firms in your target market. Even though large firms are a long shot at this point, I know of someone who struck out at OCI, reapplied with firms they were really interested in after OCI closed and got offers with firms who hadn't filled all of their positions. Especially since you had a change in your grades, it can't hurt to try.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby MrAnon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:20 pm

Isn't the whole point that getting straight A's as a 1L is much more difficult than getting them as a 2L? Firms aren't going to be overwhelmed.

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby lawschoolftw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:22 pm

MrAnon wrote:Isn't the whole point that getting straight A's as a 1L is much more difficult than getting them as a 2L? Firms aren't going to be overwhelmed.



Straight A's are impressive regardless.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 pm

OP. thanks for the advice guys. i will start my mass mailing to small/mid sized firms now. However, I don't know if its worth it to e-mail big firms. I'm in a huge saturated market, and i am sure all their classes are filled. I would think my only hope would be 3LOLci, if i get grades like this next semester again. I guess I can send an update now, but I almost feel embarrassed.

I don't know what to do next summer to put me in best position for a decent job after graduation.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby sunynp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Don't be embarrassed. Be proud of what you accomplished! Start pushing it for a job. You have nothing to lose and you may find an open spot. Keep at it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Any suggestions on what to write in the e-mail.

"I am a 2l at ____ and have yet to secure a summer position. I wanted to re apply to your firm and send an updated transcript which reflects a 4.0 GPA for the fall 2011 semester. pleasehiremellp remains a top choice of mine. thanks!"

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby sunynp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 pm

I need to think about this a bit. You should at least contact directly the person you interviewed with or the recruiting director at the firm you interviewed with before. Tell them that you remain extremely interested in the firm, how much you enjoyed meeting them and maybe something specific you are interested in about their practice. Mention that you want to update them on your 2L grades. Ask if they have any open positions. Thank them for their time.

Maybe some other people have better ideas. Don't send anything until you get it down to a brief but very professional email.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 2L, T2, Struck Out, Straight As Fall, now what?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 pm

sunynp wrote:I need to think about this a bit. You should at least contact directly the person you interviewed with or the recruiting director at the firm you interviewed with before. Tell them that you remain extremely interested in the firm, how much you enjoyed meeting them and maybe something specific you are interested in about their practice. Mention that you want to update them on your 2L grades. Ask if they have any open positions. Thank them for their time.

Maybe some other people have better ideas. Don't send anything until you get it down to a brief but very professional email.


Since you say 4 callbacks were via connections, ask the connections to nicely call the recruiter/contact and ask for feedback on your callback. If you don't know your connections that well, ask your OCS. If they won't do it, do it yourself. Make it clear you accept they rejected you and simply want the feedback to help you improve in the future with other firms.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.