How much does pre Law School employment matter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pcwcecac

How much does pre Law School employment matter?

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to transfer from one 'somewhat-federal' government agency to another federal government agency. Both agencies are more-or-less equally respected in the realm of economics. The change in title and responsibilities are significant. But with greater responsibility, comes greater workload. Furthermore, my departure would piss off my current bosses, who had promised very strong rec letters for me.

Given that I plan to apply to law school in the next cycle, how much does pre-law school employment actually matter down the stretch? Is it worth risking my relationship with the current employer? Would it provide 'outside options'?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm not necessarily concerned with acceptance. I'm thinking in terms of post school prospects

ran12

Re: How much does pre Law School employment matter?

Postby ran12 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:26 pm

In terms of getting a SA, I think it helps a lot to have a finance or business background b/c so many big firms deal with M&As and PE, VC type of stuff. For getting into IP it helps to have a science background. For certain gov't internships and jobs, it def helps to have experience in gov't.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Thank you very much for the input!

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:36 pm

1) Not to be a dick (since it's not a bad Q), but this really belongs in the ask a student/graduate forum.
2) Hard to give you a good answer. Imagine how your resume would look if you took the transfer and how you would talk about each job. My gut reaction is that the transfer will not increase your likelihood of landing a job during OCI and it has a long-shot potential of harming you if you really think it will piss off your bosses. (Probably a pretty big long-shot, but if one of your interviewers worked at that agency and calls around to ask about you, then a pissed off boss may hurt.)

My opinion: I think you really should base your decision of off other factors besides legal employment, since I dont think it is likely to affect things either way.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:49 pm

With great power comes great responsibirity.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks Richie.

1) sorry about that. I will repost the question if necessary

2) My current job is research oriented and deals strictly with macroeconomics. The new job offer is more policy oriented and has a strong finance flavor. Your point about envisioning my resume is fantastic. I do think the new job will add to it and will be more relevant law firm clients.

Thanks again

Return to “Legal Employment”