Regional summer 1L gig if no plans to work there for 2L?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
slsplease

Regional summer 1L gig if no plans to work there for 2L?

Postby slsplease » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:47 am

I have a strong network in my hometown area in a medium midwestern market. Given that good legal 1L summer jobs are rare to come by, if I had to "settle" for a NLJ250 firm in the midwest would this tie me to the region enough to make my 2L ambitions for a larger, coastal market tougher?

I figure the answer is either that any experience, especially in a reputable law firm, is better than none or that I should decide on a target market and do whatever I can to get a job there and start networking, even if it means going for PI or less prestigious work.

kalvano

Re: Regional summer 1L gig if no plans to work there for 2L?

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:50 pm

No one really cares what you do 1L summer as long as it is legal-related.

slsplease

Postby slsplease » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 pm

how common is it for students at a T14 to get a 1L summer job in a law firm?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:14 pm

As in a paid 1L SA position, or just working at a firm? The SA position is pretty uncommon, but doing some work or interning is not all that uncommon.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:27 pm

slsplease wrote:how common is it for students at a T14 to get a 1L summer job in a law firm?

In a big law firm that pays several thousand a week? ~10%

If you aren't a minority and don't have a patent background with great undergrad/ tech background it's even lower.

slsplease

Postby slsplease » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:52 pm

I suppose I'll see what I'm in for when the time comes, but I have good reason to think that my chances are as good as anyone's to land a SA, but this would be only because of some very strong legal connections that are more or less limited to a medium midwestern market that I would not want to shoot for during 2L OCI.

I was under the assumption that 1L SA's generally lead to 2L SA's, and I'd be weary to turn NYC, LA, DC, SF, etc. firms off by giving the impression that I prefer to work in the midwest...

Return to “Legal Employment”