Unusual 1L Summer Job Situation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unusual 1L Summer Job Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:42 am

I have kind of a weird situation that I'd love some advice on.

I have an offer for 1L summer from a very small firm (2-5 lawyers) that does a lot of cool stuff I'm interested in. I know the woman who started the firm, and we've remained in touch since LS started. In her email, she said that she would love to have me, but that I should continue to look around for a while to see if anything pops up that I'd rather do.

I have no idea if she'll be paying me for the summer. I don't care *that* much - although obviously I'd prefer if she did - because I would be doing stuff that I think I will like, and hopefully will get to do when I eventually get a permanent job. Ideally, after LS I'd like to be able to 1) get a firm job so I can pay off debt quickly, and obviously having paying summer SAs would make that goal much easier, or 2) work for this woman at her small firm.

So my question is: are there any attainable 1L SAs that would typically lead to 2L SAs and then permanent offers? Other facts: I'm a non-URM at a lower T14 and have no grades yet. Basically, I would like to work for this small firm unless I can find something that fits that description - paying and almost sure to lead to 2L SA > permanent offer, so I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth looking.

kalvano

Re: Unusual 1L Summer Job Situation

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:49 pm

The likelihood of a paying 1L SA is extremely small. Do something fun that you will enjoy.

camstant

Postby camstant » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:11 pm

It's not really a weird situation--it's a great one. Since you aren't on any kind of deadline with the small office, go ahead and look around for something that will pay where you think you ultimately want to start a career. But remember that the job you have this first summer is relatively immaterial to how your job search next fall will play out, as long as you're getting SOME experience, so having the luxury of a summer job already lined-up at this point is worth a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:38 am

camstant wrote:It's not really a weird situation--it's a great one. Since you aren't on any kind of deadline with the small office, go ahead and look around for something that will pay where you think you ultimately want to start a career. But remember that the job you have this first summer is relatively immaterial to how your job search next fall will play out, as long as you're getting SOME experience, so having the luxury of a summer job already lined-up at this point is worth a lot.

Thanks. Isn't it the case, though, that 1L jobs can lead to 2L summer jobs which then lead to employment? Just hypothetically, since I know paid 1L jobs are next to impossible to get.

Return to “Legal Employment”