SEC 1L Honors Internship Summer 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC 1L Honors Internship Summer 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:22 pm

Received email request for phone interview today for position at DC hq. However, I live in one of the cities of a regional office. Does this mean I have been dinged at my local regional (which I listed subtly as my first choice)? Since it is a volunteer position, it would be very costly to relocate to DC for 10 weeks w no pay. How do I relay this if at all to the recruiters? Should I just wait and see or would this be an understandable question to ask them (that wouldn't exhibit limited interest / ding me)?

LawIdiot86

Re: SEC 1L Honors Internship Summer 2012

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received email request for phone interview today for position at DC hq. However, I live in one of the cities of a regional office. Does this mean I have been dinged at my local regional (which I listed subtly as my first choice)? Since it is a volunteer position, it would be very costly to relocate to DC for 10 weeks w no pay. How do I relay this if at all to the recruiters? Should I just wait and see or would this be an understandable question to ask them (that wouldn't exhibit limited interest / ding me)?

I did this as a 2L and the first call from HQ is a general interview for all the divisions. I listed a regional office as second choice and it was never brought up, nor was I ever contacted separately. Since you know the only divisions with regional presence are ENF and OCIE, I would say you should list those as your first choice if they ask your preferences and inquire if you should include regional preferences in your response. I would not mention the money issue until/unless it is clear the regional office is being processed through HQ. Even then I might not mention it beyond the hassle of moving to DC and especially not at this stage before you have an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:32 pm

when did you submit your application? thanks

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 am

12/14ish

Can someone comment on which divisions are more competitive as well as which ones offer the best experience for someone interested in m&a/corp fin/securities?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:12/14ish

Can someone comment on which divisions are more competitive as well as which ones offer the best experience for someone interested in m&a/corp fin/securities?

I can't speak to competition, but I imagine ENF/Corp Fin would have the most openings as they are the largest divisions. M&A and Corporate Finance would tend to be similar to what the Corporate Finance division and Investment Management division do. Basically, when an entity files something with the SEC, like a merger or stock offering or even just an 8K, it goes to Corp Fin for review. Broker-dealer-type work is done mainly in Trading and Markets, but I think also exists in Investment Management which also handles mutual funds and hedge fund stuff.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Bumping because I am working on my application and am wondering if any 2Ls, 3Ls or grads can discuss the types of the responsibilities they had at the SEC. I'm applying to judicial internships too and on those cover letters I've stressed my interest in continuing to develop my legal research and writing skills and my background in writing, blah blah blah. Is that something the SEC will care about, or did you not do much of that type of writing? I do have some experience/familiarity with Dodd-Frank in my previous job, so I'm mainly highlighting that, but would like to include something else too.

This is for the Boston office, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:13 pm

HWS08 wrote:Bumping because I am working on my application and am wondering if any 2Ls, 3Ls or grads can discuss the types of the responsibilities they had at the SEC. I'm applying to judicial internships too and on those cover letters I've stressed my interest in continuing to develop my legal research and writing skills and my background in writing, blah blah blah. Is that something the SEC will care about, or did you not do much of that type of writing? I do have some experience/familiarity with Dodd-Frank in my previous job, so I'm mainly highlighting that, but would like to include something else too.

This is for the Boston office, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Well, if it's Boston, that means you're going after enforcement and examinations/inspections. There may be some writing and research, but I imagine it would look similar to doc review/file review/transcript review than the writing you might get in a judge's chambers. Maybe some writing as to summarizing arguments or providing support for the lawyers' positions. Someone else on here has to know more about ENF than I do though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 am

I'm a 2L, and I just accepted an offer with the Atlanta office. For the student who also did an summer there as a 2L, did you feel that the experience was very beneficial for your future job search? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Have any 1Ls heard back from their interview yet? I interviewed earlier this month & just updated them with my grades.

Anon, because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one at my super small school who has interviewed with them & a few people know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I have not heard back yet in any capacity. Submitted in early Jan (sans grades) with addendum in late Jan to append grades. Estimated GPA rank is 5th to 20th percentile at T10-15. Nontrad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed on January 27th and was told I would hear something within a week or two but have not yet heard anything. I was thinking this meant I didn't get it but perhaps they are just behind. Top 10% at T-14 with CPA and substantial work experience.

I am curious too. I had an interview around that time too but haven't heard back yet. Errrgh

Sandrew

Postby Sandrew » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 am

anyone interview with the NY office yet? I have one coming up with them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Heard back today. Offered enforcement, corp fin, t&m, and IM. Leaning toward enforcement. Anyone out there do a summer in any of these divs who I can PM? Thanks!

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heard back today. Offered enforcement, corp fin, t&m, and IM. Leaning toward enforcement. Anyone out there do a summer in any of these divs who I can PM? Thanks!

I can speak to T&M and advise on other.

balenciagar

Postby balenciagar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 pm

Bump. Anyone who will be working/previously worked at the DC hq corp fin division? For those who summered at the SEC, what types of assignments did you get? I would also like to know where you'll be staying/have stayed, because I've never been to DC.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:16 pm

balenciagar wrote:Bump. Anyone who will be working/previously worked at the DC hq corp fin division? For those who summered at the SEC, what types of assignments did you get? I would also like to know where you'll be staying/have stayed, because I've never been to DC.

If you can afford it, living on the red line (or north tip of the green line) is the best, as the SEC's office is next to Union Station. You can probably find a cheap sublet at Catholic University or even in College Park.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Anyone heard from the Boston office yet? I sent my app in a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm a 2L, and I just accepted an offer with the Atlanta office. For the student who also did an summer there as a 2L, did you feel that the experience was very beneficial for your future job search? Thanks!

Sorry to answer your question with a different, unrelated question, but have you or any other SEC 2Ls been offered a paid internship this summer? My interview is this week and I'd like to have some idea.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry to answer your question with a different, unrelated question, but have you or any other SEC 2Ls been offered a paid internship this summer? My interview is this week and I'd like to have some idea.

Unless you're coming into some sort of weird program like WRP or SCEP, there are no paid internships at any division of (even OIG/OGC/Commissioners) of the SEC. They don't even have transit subsidy for interns.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:13 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Unless you're coming into some sort of weird program like WRP or SCEP, there are no paid internships at any division of (even OIG/OGC/Commissioners) of the SEC. They don't even have transit subsidy for interns.

hmm. Well, how do the other 2Ls out there feel about taking an unpaid, albeit awesome, position? I'm torn, especially considering I don't know how much of a boost, if any, it will provide when it comes to permanent post-grad employment. It would really suck to work for free for yet another summer. I pretty much need the money.

I haven't even been offered anything yet; I'm just playing out scenarios. Pay is a factor. So is potential boost for employment upon graduation/how many grads are projected to be hired 2013.

lastMinuteGuy

Postby lastMinuteGuy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:22 am

HWS08 wrote:Anyone heard from the Boston office yet? I sent my app in a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet.

Word from career services is that Boston only took 2 1Ls and they already finished their hiring a while ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:46 am

lastMinuteGuy wrote:
HWS08 wrote:Anyone heard from the Boston office yet? I sent my app in a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet.

Word from career services is that Boston only took 2 1Ls and they already finished their hiring a while ago.

Thanks! I knew I should have gotten that application in sooner. Oh well, plenty of other unpaid internship fish in the sea I suppose.

Return to “Legal Employment”