VAP and Fellowship Programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stilljammin

VAP and Fellowship Programs

Postby stilljammin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Does anyone know of any VAP or teaching fellowship programs other than the ones listed on the Taxprof blog?

Anonymous User

Re: VAP and Fellowship Programs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:44 pm

I found Caron's list to be pretty exhaustive. You might also check out higheredjobs and thefacultylounge.com, which list ad hoc VAP openings from time to time. But those tend to be the podium-filler (and not fellowship-type) spots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Thanks! Did you apply this year or did you apply previously?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:11 pm

I sent in a handful of applications last year. I got a couple of notifications that I was on the "hold" list, but nothing ever came out of those. I didn't really apply this year because a last-minute clerkship came up that will keep me off the academic market until the 2012-13 hiring season at the earliest. (I did send in one application to NYU's program because they asked me to, even after I advised them that I'd have to defer. But then I haven't heard back from them. Go figure.)

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests. Would love to hear what people feel is most vital for being as competitive as possible for these.

Anonymous User wrote:I sent in a handful of applications last year. I got a couple of notifications that I was on the "hold" list, but nothing ever came out of those. I didn't really apply this year because a last-minute clerkship came up that will keep me off the academic market until the 2012-13 hiring season at the earliest. (I did send in one application to NYU's program because they asked me to, even after I advised them that I'd have to defer. But then I haven't heard back from them. Go figure.)

You mind PM'ing your stats?-- ((school + approx rank) and other relevant info (Ed board position on LR?, publications?, etc).) If you do mind, can you just relate sone general info about what you felt the schools were looking for and what hurt your chances?

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 pm

I would like to make the same request as Mr. Tenenbaum, as I am trying to enter the academy a long term goal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 pm

done

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Any opinions on the value of SJD's and LLM's? (I realize they are really not part of the mainstream academia path anymore.)

My understanding is their value is mainly in proving time to publish, but does anyone know how competitive the funded ones are? (I know both Chicago and NYU have SJD/JSD degrees that are fully funded.*) I got the impression that these programs are mostly reserved for international students, but I wasn't sure.

So are these programs worth it for non-international, wanna-be academics? Anyone know of any fully-funded LLM programs?

*http://www.law.uchicago.edu/jsd-program
--LinkRemoved--

stilljammin

Postby stilljammin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:56 pm

I too am interested in the stats of anyone who has been through the application process as well as those who are currently applying. I am, of course, willing to share my stats as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:37 pm

bump

Return to “Legal Employment”