self-apply or email?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HOV

self-apply or email?

Postby HOV » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi,

I've searched a bit, but I could not find a listing that specifically addressed my concern.

Forgive me if there was a prior post that addressed this, but if a firm's website specifically asks that one apply through the self-apply system online, would it be frowned upon to also email the hiring partner one's cover letter and resume? I only ask because the hiring partner is an alumnus. I'd like for the alumnus to see my application before either the self-apply portal or the recruiting coordinator weeds me out.

Thanks in advance.

r6_philly

Re: self-apply or email?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:27 am

HOV wrote:Hi,

I've searched a bit, but I could not find a listing that specifically addressed my concern.

Forgive me if there was a prior post that addressed this, but if a firm's website specifically asks that one apply through the self-apply system online, would it be frowned upon to also email the hiring partner one's cover letter and resume? I only ask because the hiring partner is an alumnus. I'd like for the alumnus to see my application before either the self-apply portal or the recruiting coordinator weeds me out.

Thanks in advance.

Probably firm dependent. But I received several responses to my email in the form of "please apply on our website." So I think firms are pretty serious about using their web apps. If you know, you should probably do it. If you want to email the partner anyway, just email to confirm in a couple of days, like how we used to call to make sure someone received a fax properly.

Return to “Legal Employment”