DC Biglaw lifestyle v. Kansas City Biglaw lifestyle

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gavinstevens

Re: DC Biglaw lifestyle v. Kansas City Biglaw lifestyle

Postby gavinstevens » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Naked Dude wrote:coming from a city with massive urban sprawl and shit for mass transit, doesn't bother me.

This sounds a lot like Atlanta...

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
ran12 wrote:DC is...more liveable than other large cities like NYC and LA.

wut. I mean, I like DC just fine, except that it's much, much, much smaller than NY and LA and surrounded by Virginia and Maryland. If I had a job lined up in LA or especially NYC, I would be there in a new york minute. It really depends on what you mean by livable. DC doesn't even come close to the variety of cuisines in NYC and LA. I like my cities big, and those are the two biggest in the good old US of A. DC just seems so vanilla compared to them. The metro is good for getting around, to the places you'd want to go at least, but those who say the NY subway is too complex probably lack the spatial intelligence to tie their own shoelaces-it's not that bad once you learn your way around. And LA traffic can suck but coming from a city with massive urban sprawl and shit for mass transit, doesn't bother me.

I'm from NY and went to school in DC. I personally like that DC is smaller and it's def easier to get around esp considering the only parts of the city and the DMV area you want to go to are more or less right near each other. DC def lacks in certain cuisine like pizza but it's pretty good overall. I like that DC also has zoning ordinances that require buildings be under a certain height. NYC skyscrapers are something in themselves but I don't like it as much. Being plain is what makes DC more liveable. There aren't as many wackos around and DC's actually pretty diverse if you know where to look.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:34 pm

gavinstevens wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:coming from a city with massive urban sprawl and shit for mass transit, doesn't bother me.

Or pretty much any Sun Belt city...

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Are you a striver and do you like being around strivers who constantly (and sometimes exclusively) talk about their careers? If so: DC is your best bet.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Are you a striver and do you like being around strivers who constantly (and sometimes exclusively) talk about their careers? If so: DC is your best bet.

We're in law school. Aren't we all kinda strivers?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Renzo wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Borhas wrote:DC kind of sucks big fat ones

You spend a lot of time trolling for NYC BigLaw.

No, man. It's personal--I really hate DC. Chicago's nice. So is SF. Atlanta's too hot for me, but otherwise I've got nothing against it. Denver is beautiful. L.A. is kind of a hellhole, but it has good weather and beaches. But really, DC sucks.

+1 to all of this (except for Atlanta being too hot)

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:11 pm

DOES KANSAS CITY HAVE A METRO SYSTEM THAT RANDOMLY CRASHES AND KILLS YOU?

THIS IS WHY DC IS THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD. THE SUMMERS ARE LOVELY TOO. THERE ARE LOTS OF GREAT BARS IN ADAMS MORGAN TOO. I LIVE ON "THE HILL" AND I LOVE IT! EASTERN MARKET IS SO DIVERSE AND CULTURAL!!!!!!!!!

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:19 am

RVP11 wrote:
gavinstevens wrote:

Or pretty much any Sun Belt city...

haha true

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 am

lisjjen wrote:
Renzo wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

You spend a lot of time trolling for NYC BigLaw.

No, man. It's personal--I really hate DC. Chicago's nice. So is SF. Atlanta's too hot for me, but otherwise I've got nothing against it. Denver is beautiful. L.A. is kind of a hellhole, but it has good weather and beaches. But really, DC sucks.

Sure the federal district is great, but ride any metro line to the end and you'll see how people in and around the city actually live.

Also Chicago. My family lives on the South side. Everybody always talks about how great Chicago is after they go see the bean and walk down the Magnificent Mile. Last time I visited, I heard automatic weapon fire in the middle of the night.

ETA: That is to say, perspective is a hell of a thing.

Chicago, like DC, is safe if you avoid the bad areas. And those areas have nothing of value so nobody ever goes there.

Anyone know where is a cool area to live in DC that is a short metro ride to K street?

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone know where is a cool area to live in DC that is a short metro ride to K street?

Dupont or Foggy Bottom both short metro rides (and some parts within walking distance) of K. Also anything NW on the red line is good. Safe rule of thumb is the further south and east you go, the worse it gets. U-street corridor has great nightlife but is sketch and requires at least one transfer on the metro to K-street. G'town also a great place to live but almost no metro access (although it's not too far of a walk).

Return to “Legal Employment”