3L Spring Job Search Tips/Advice/Success Stories Wanted

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Spring Job Search Tips/Advice/Success Stories Wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Anything would be appreciated. Getting nervous and now that holidays are over and govt deadlines have come and gone I think I need to step up the search.

SteelReserve

Re: 3L Spring Job Search Tips/Advice/Success Stories Wanted

Postby SteelReserve » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:26 pm

You ask a vague question without providing any background information whatsoever such as school, class rank, goals, internships concluded and possibility of hiring, market, what you've attempted, etc.

So here's some advice: "apply for jobs"

EDIT: To be fair, you're way past the point of getting a clerkship at any level so there won't be much great advice to give other than network, mass mail, volunteer to intern, or finish up school and look for non legal options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Fine: is there anyone out there who got a job in the spring semester of their 3L year? Specifically, before graduation? At this point, job postings seem to be pretty slow, so there are no jobs to apply for, per se. Assume clerkship/govt honors/oci are all over.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories or tips from finding a job last spring. This might include any tips on networking as a 3L.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fine: is there anyone out there who got a job in the spring semester of their 3L year? Specifically, before graduation? At this point, job postings seem to be pretty slow, so there are no jobs to apply for, per se. Assume clerkship/govt honors/oci are all over.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories or tips from finding a job last spring. This might include any tips on networking as a 3L.

I am under the impression this just doesn't happen anymore. The career center told me to stop looking for permanent legal jobs around the beginning of December and said I should begin to worry if I didn't have anything nonlegal by the middle of March. They said if you do an LL.M. To delay the inevitable, you can begin worrying around August if you still have nothing nonlegal. Every person I know of who got something legal after 3L did it after the bar exam/bar results.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:13 am

I'd also like to see if anyone has any advice. T6, little below top 1/3 grades, no pre-LS work experience, over 100K in debt, internships all over the map (gov't, public interest, RA). Would like to be in the Northeast, preferably New York, in private practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:25 am

I have sim
Anonymous User wrote:I'd also like to see if anyone has any advice. T6, little below top 1/3 grades, no pre-LS work experience, over 100K in debt, internships all over the map (gov't, public interest, RA). Would like to be in the Northeast, preferably New York, in private practice.

I have similar numbers, maybe closer to top 10%, but otherwise same situation. I am presently applying to state level clerkships since I don't have a gun handy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have sim
Anonymous User wrote:I'd also like to see if anyone has any advice. T6, little below top 1/3 grades, no pre-LS work experience, over 100K in debt, internships all over the map (gov't, public interest, RA). Would like to be in the Northeast, preferably New York, in private practice.

I have similar numbers, maybe closer to top 10%, but otherwise same situation. I am presently applying to state level clerkships since I don't have a gun handy.

Do you think law school was still a good idea? I'm starting to question a decision I thought was a no-brainer 3 years ago.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Do you think law school was still a good idea? I'm starting to question a decision I thought was a no-brainer 3 years ago.

Considering how risk averse I usually am, I am astounded that I attended law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 am

Well, risk preferences are complex. But it would be a mistake to say one should not have taken a risk if, ex ante, it was a wise decision from a standpoint of expected value. The fact that it turned out badly is unfortunate, but one cannot real live ones life at all without taking justified risks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Well, risk preferences are complex. But it would be a mistake to say one should not have taken a risk if, ex ante, it was a wise decision from a standpoint of expected value. The fact that it turned out badly is unfortunate, but one cannot real live ones life at all without taking justified risks.

This is what I'm grappling with. One the one hand, I go to a school where 95+% of people will probably end up with either a market-paying biglaw job or a PI/gov't job they wanted. Somebody had to be in the 5% and it turned out to be me this time. When I was admitted I considered myself lucky given my background and that luck had to run out sometime.

On the other hand, I may very well be living like a student for the next 10-20 years of my life. The juice is at 7.8% and it starts running in a few months.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:03 am

Look at the bright side, in the long run we are all dead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Look at the bright side, in the long run we are all dead.

Might not have that long to wait.

http://www.2012supplies.com/countdown.html

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:38 am

Don't want to discourage you, but I applied to dozens of state level clerkships in September/October and got dozens of "sorry, we're not hiring/have already hired clerks" responses. I also got a handful of thanks but no thanks responses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Any update?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:43 am

Edit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Ok, let's try it this way:

Does anyone know of a 3L who has gotten a job in the government post-graduation?

Return to “Legal Employment”