NY v. Calif.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pereatmundus
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:00 pm

NY v. Calif.

Postby pereatmundus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Can anyone (preferably with knowledge of both places) discuss the differences between Biglaw litigation work in New York and California (particularly LA)? Assume no major preference for the location in itself (i.e., family connections, the weather, etc.). I'm most curious whether California firms (or California offices of firms from other cities) in general have more reasonable hours and work expectations. Thanks.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: NY v. Calif.

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:11 pm

pereatmundus wrote:Can anyone (preferably with knowledge of both places) discuss the differences between Biglaw litigation work in New York and California (particularly LA)? Assume no major preference for the location in itself (i.e., family connections, the weather, etc.). I'm most curious whether California firms (or California offices of firms from other cities) in general have more reasonable hours and work expectations. Thanks.


A TLS classic - evaluate a hypothetical while ignoring the overwhelmingly determinative factor.

You will find dramatic differences between NYC and LA. First decide where you want to live, then evaluate firms against each other.

Citizen Genet
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Re: NY v. Calif.

Postby Citizen Genet » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:20 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
pereatmundus wrote:Can anyone (preferably with knowledge of both places) discuss the differences between Biglaw litigation work in New York and California (particularly LA)? Assume no major preference for the location in itself (i.e., family connections, the weather, etc.). I'm most curious whether California firms (or California offices of firms from other cities) in general have more reasonable hours and work expectations. Thanks.


A TLS classic - evaluate a hypothetical while ignoring the overwhelmingly determinative factor.

You will find dramatic differences between NYC and LA. First decide where you want to live, then evaluate firms against each other.


I agree with your point. At the same time, isn't it pretty widely discussed here that New York is just more of a workhorse city than others most of the time? In other words, wouldn't the average LA firm being a little more light handed than the average NY firm?

That's my perception of it.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: NY v. Calif.

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:46 pm

pereatmundus wrote:Can anyone (preferably with knowledge of both places) discuss the differences between Biglaw litigation work in New York and California (particularly LA)? Assume no major preference for the location in itself (i.e., family connections, the weather, etc.). I'm most curious whether California firms (or California offices of firms from other cities) in general have more reasonable hours and work expectations. Thanks.


Big Law is going to be demanding, regardless. Quinn Emmanuel, one of hardest working lit firms out there, was founded out here in Los Angeles (though you can wear flip flops to work, if that's your thing.)

NYC, IIRC, has more work (in terms of business, not interms of per-associate-hours) than LA. Some LA firms are anecdotally more "laid back," but if you are looking at the best of the best firms, they are all going to ask for the same, high amount of hours.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: NY v. Calif.

Postby Drake014 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:50 pm

pereatmundus wrote:Can anyone (preferably with knowledge of both places) discuss the differences between Biglaw litigation work in New York and California (particularly LA)? Assume no major preference for the location in itself (i.e., family connections, the weather, etc.). I'm most curious whether California firms (or California offices of firms from other cities) in general have more reasonable hours and work expectations. Thanks.


Ranking of most to least demanding for the firm that I'm working for:
1. New York
2. LA
3. San Francisco




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.