a company owes me money but threatens to sue me ...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

a company owes me money but threatens to sue me ...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:37 pm

I got a freelance job offer a while ago and went in for two-day training. The company head said in writing that we would be paid $200 just for the training. He also said, well before the training, that they had already received a lot of projects and so there would be plenty of work for us once the training is over.

After the training, for creepy reasons, I was asked not to go to the training anymore. I got another freelance job and decided not to go anyway. My friend refused to go to further training.

All these happened a month ago. A few days ago I sent a rather polite email asking for the check which the company owner said he would send to me/us. This morning, I got a "cease and desist" email letter from the company requesting that I do not contact them anymore.

It is true that I sent an email, after being told that there would be no job for me, expressing my dissatisfaction with their lack of professionalism. nonetheless I never harass them or anything.

what should i do? I've never dealt with such creeps before. apparently they want to silence me.

Bildungsroman

Re: a company owes me money but threatens to sue me ...

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:40 pm

TLS is not the place to try and get free legal advice.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:40 pm

wtf this isn't top-laywers.com

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:TLS is not the place to try and get free legal advice.

+1

especially considering many posters 'cannot' even give legal advice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a freelance job offer a while ago and went in for two-day training. The company head said in writing that we would be paid $200 just for the training. He also said, well before the training, that they had already received a lot of projects and so there would be plenty of work for us once the training is over.

After the training, for creepy reasons, I was asked not to go to the training anymore. I got another freelance job and decided not to go anyway. My friend refused to go to further training.

All these happened a month ago. A few days ago I sent a rather polite email asking for the check which the company owner said he would send to me/us. This morning, I got a "cease and desist" email letter from the company requesting that I do not contact them anymore.

It is true that I sent an email, after being told that there would be no job for me, expressing my dissatisfaction with their lack of professionalism. nonetheless I never harass them or anything.

what should i do? I've never dealt with such creeps before. apparently they want to silence me.

THIS IS A HYPO, MORONS!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:45 pm

op here

thanks - I understand that.

If I go to the small claims court, I will probably get my money back. I have all the documentations (emails - individual and group)

I will be taking the bar in a few months though - I just wonder if the bar will draw a negative inference about my personality based on this incident.

the company head was a lawyer - he spent several years in law but for some reason (could not make it, maybe) shifted to business.
He's the one who sent the letter. Another company head is not a lawyer.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:48 pm

C&Ds are free and scare people off. It is also not "threatening to sue you."

For $200 in dispute the only winning move is not to play. Move on.

cantabaout

Postby cantabaout » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:C&Ds are free and scare people off. It is also not "threatening to sue you."

For $200 in dispute the only winning move is not to play. Move on.

C & D - are they commonly used to scare people off?

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:for creepy reasons

What does this mean?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:25 pm

ibtl

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:op here

thanks - I understand that.

Obviously you don't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:34 pm

It's not worth your time to pursue a claim for $200, even in small claims court.

A C&D isn't a real threat of litigation, it's more like they're hoping that you see a law firm's name on the letterhead and shit your pants and leave them alone.

Nonetheless, as I said earlier, even if you have the best claim in the world for that $200, it's just not worth it. You're going to lose almost 1/2 of that just paying court fees and to serve the company...

Return to “Legal Employment”