Science background and IP Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
estopped

Science background and IP Law

Postby estopped » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm a 1L now and considering IP law. I have an undergraduate degree from a top ivy in Chemistry, but I am concerned my GPA was too low for me to get into IP. Now I'm at a lower T-14 and wondering if my undergrad experience can help me out, either for an SA position or a position in the long run. Should I mention my interest in IP, or will that hurt me? I don't want firms to think that I'm only interested in IP, and then ding me when they see my GPA was low for undergrad, or to miss out on any benefit of having a science background.
Last edited by estopped on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Science background and IP Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:28 pm

You should be fine. Mention your interest in IP. They'll understand the lower GPA for a real degree.
I graduated summa in BS.EE and found a job by dec 14th.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:35 pm

estopped wrote:I'm a 1L now and considering IP law. I have an undergraduate degree from Harvard in Chemistry, but I am concerned my GPA (3.15) was too low for me to get into IP. Now I'm at a lower T-14 and wondering if my undergrad experience can help me out, either for an SA position or a position in the long run. Should I mention my interest in IP, or will that hurt me? I don't want firms to think that I'm only interested in IP, and then ding me when they see my GPA was low for undergrad, or to miss out on any benefit of having a science background.
Low UG GPA won't matter except maybe at some boutiques. Chem major won't do you any favors compared to say ChemE, but IIRC chem still draws decent interest, and having the H bomb to drop won't hurt either. I'd go for it if you're at all interested in IP, especially if you're in questionable territory with your grades. Protip: sign up for the Loyola patent fair either way, if for nothing other than interview practice

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:06 am

most generic V100 IP groups won't care what your undergrad grades were, but some of them and the boutiques will ask for your undergrad transcript. jones day, fitzpatrick and kenyon come to mind. i don't remember if kirkland and weil do, but i think they might. if you're just looking to get ANY ip job, you'll probably be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:50 pm

I have a low undergrad GPA and found it to be troublesome when interviewing, even at large firms. I even have an MSEE, years of work experience, and other IP credentials. I found it jarring for some of the people to ask about it since it was such a long time ago and doubt my technical skills when their own skills were almost non-existent.

Be prepared to come up with an answer on why it's low.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:03 pm

But a 3.15 GPA isn't low for science majors. "Low" is more like 2.5. Granted, schools like Harvard does have grade inflation, which is probably the only reason OP considers his/her GPA to be "low", when in reality the number by itself isn't low.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Take your undergrad GPA off your resume (especially if you've been out for years). Unless firms specifically ask for it, they don't care and there's no reason to put something on your resume that employers might question or give you a hard time about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:50 pm

azntwice wrote:most generic V100 IP groups won't care what your undergrad grades were, but some of them and the boutiques will ask for your undergrad transcript. jones day, fitzpatrick and kenyon come to mind. i don't remember if kirkland and weil do, but i think they might. if you're just looking to get ANY ip job, you'll probably be fine.

Neither Jones Day Chicago nor Palo Alto required undegrad transcripts. For the most part general practice firms don't. Kirkland definitely doesn't. Boutiques almost always do. But 3.15 isn't that bad.

The bigger killer will be just having a BS in Chemistry. There isn't a lot of demand for chem with only a bachelors. There is some, but I wouldn't put all your bets on IP law. Depending on how your law grades turn out you could have a really hard time with IP, maybe harder than general big law.

Definitely do the loyal patent fair. Registration starts soonish, so stay on top of it. My recommendation is to stay away from small botiques and aim for large groups.

Then at your OCI I'd do normal law, and not really push IP too hard. Firms that typically recruit heavily for IP will do it at loyola.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:But a 3.15 GPA isn't low for science majors. "Low" is more like 2.5. Granted, schools like Harvard does have grade inflation, which is probably the only reason OP considers his/her GPA to be "low", when in reality the number by itself isn't low.

Even setting aside any Harvard grade inflation issues, a 3.15 GPA for a science major is still considered low. It'd be slightly below median at most schools (even for the hard sciences) I imagine...and definitely at Harvard.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Surely, 3.15 is below median at Harvard UG, but below median isn't always low. When I think of a "low" GPA, I think of below 3.00. I guess this is subjective, and depends on how low is really tolerable.

Leaving the GPA off the resume can be a good idea.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:10 pm

1. Take your UG GPA off your resume - no one really cares.
2. Sit for the patent bar - leave your registration number off your non-patent resumes.
3. ?????
4. Profit.

Everything everyone saying is true. Chem BS isn't the strongest for IP, but you will probably be fine. A 3.15 isn't low (you are talking to a guy with a 2.5 who is about to start at a top patent boutique).

Have fun picking from your offers.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm

You can leave the GPA off your resume, but many/most patent firms will ask for UG transcripts anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”