State Court Trial level Clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State Court Trial level Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:35 pm

So here's my situation, I am a 3L with pretty strong creds (top 10% T10, secondary journal, government job last summer) But I have nothing lined up for after graduation. Made a run at the art 3 clerkship market but struck out, so my plan at present is to apply to state level clerkships and then do a federal clerkship, and then hopefully find a job that will pay off my loans. Is this a totally crazy idea? Is a state trial clerkship going to help get an art 3 clerkship, or at least give me a fair chance as a regular alumni applicant?

ggocat

Re: State Court Trial level Clerkship

Postby ggocat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So here's my situation, I am a 3L with pretty strong creds (top 10% T10, secondary journal, government job last summer) But I have nothing lined up for after graduation. Made a run at the art 3 clerkship market but struck out, so my plan at present is to apply to state level clerkships and then do a federal clerkship, and then hopefully find a job that will pay off my loans. Is this a totally crazy idea? Is a state trial clerkship going to help get an art 3 clerkship, or at least give me a fair chance as a regular alumni applicant?

My two cents: Not crazy but still an uphill battle. Probably won't help immensely in the search for a federal clerkship unless your state judge is connected and will make a phone call. Certainly you have a fair chance as an alumni applicant.

Exit options for state clerks are not terrible. Even without a federal clerkship, you may have a shot at smaller and mid-sized firms that pay decently. (That's just my observation/experience; certainly may be different where you live).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:53 pm

ggocat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So here's my situation, I am a 3L with pretty strong creds (top 10% T10, secondary journal, government job last summer) But I have nothing lined up for after graduation. Made a run at the art 3 clerkship market but struck out, so my plan at present is to apply to state level clerkships and then do a federal clerkship, and then hopefully find a job that will pay off my loans. Is this a totally crazy idea? Is a state trial clerkship going to help get an art 3 clerkship, or at least give me a fair chance as a regular alumni applicant?

My two cents: Not crazy but still an uphill battle. Probably won't help immensely in the search for a federal clerkship unless your state judge is connected and will make a phone call. Certainly you have a fair chance as an alumni applicant.

Exit options for state clerks are not terrible. Even without a federal clerkship, you may have a shot at smaller and mid-sized firms that pay decently. (That's just my observation/experience; certainly may be different where you live).

+1 - strong creds + state clerkship + networking like crazy could land you a good small/midsized firm gig if thats what you want.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Blindmelon wrote:+1 - strong creds + state clerkship + networking like crazy could land you a good small/midsized firm gig if thats what you want.

Even weaker creds + a state trial clerkship can get you a decent small/midsize firm job if you get your judge to help you out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:43 am

An alum (of my T40 school) I talked to did a state trial court clerkship in a flyover state, got an outstanding LOR that led to a fed d. ct. clerkship, and then went into a big law firm that explicitly told him they wouldn't have even looked at his resume without the clerkships. Granted, this was the late 90s, but it means your plan is by no means crazy.

Return to “Legal Employment”