NEED HELP! ASAP!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

NEED HELP! ASAP!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:43 pm

So here's the story:

Applied to an attorney position, got a call from the director and told me that he is very interested. He said that he was going to forward my info to the local office, but I didn't hear a peep even after a follow-up. Three weeks later, I send an email informing them that I had an offer but was still very interested. I told them the deadline to accept the offer and received a call the very same night. The person told me that "it is going to be difficult to fit me in before then." However, I said that I was very interested and he said he would see what he can do - so the interview was set the day before the deadline.

BUT I just received a call that the deadline is now the day of my interview! I have no idea what to do. Should I email the interviewer to let him know about the new deadline?

I am so interested in the position I will be interviewing for but there are no guarantees that I will get a job there. What should I do????

User avatar
Eirhoff73
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: NEED HELP! ASAP!

Postby Eirhoff73 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:21 am

I'm assuming that the deadline is by the close of business. If this is the case, interview as early as you can and make your decision. If no offer is given, there's your sign (sort of speak).

Good luck.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: NEED HELP! ASAP!

Postby MrKappus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:38 am

There are no secret options that will magically save you. You can either (1) move the interview up [unlikely]; (2) turn down the offer and hope the interview produces a job [dumb...real dumb]; (3) take the current offer + cancel interview [safe]; or (4) get an extension of the deadline, either by coming clean or not.

Seriously. There isn't a magic option out there. Use your head, assess your choices, and make a decision (i.e., be an adult).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NEED HELP! ASAP!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:10 am

if this is for a post grad job.. take the first offer, interview with the second firm.. if you get it, renege on the first. :)

noxhil
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: NEED HELP! ASAP!

Postby noxhil » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:25 am

/
Last edited by noxhil on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: NEED HELP! ASAP!

Postby sunynp » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:10 am

noxhil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if this is for a post grad job.. take the first offer, interview with the second firm.. if you get it, renege on the first. :)


Do not do this. The legal community is much smaller than you think.

Unless this second place is your dream job I would accept the offer that you have. I don't see how you can possibly get an offer at this second place before your offer expires.

It is so tough to get a job right now, and I see no upside to stringing along the first place and letting them know you didn't really want to work there.


When looking for jobs you have to look out for yourself. There is no magic black list that you will be put on and shunned thereafter. I say ask for an extension or accept the first job and do the second interview anyway. An interview is not a job, so there is no harm in going on the interview. Trust me - everyone else will be looking out for themselves and so should you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NEED HELP! ASAP!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:34 pm

sunynp wrote:
noxhil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if this is for a post grad job.. take the first offer, interview with the second firm.. if you get it, renege on the first. :)


Do not do this. The legal community is much smaller than you think.

Unless this second place is your dream job I would accept the offer that you have. I don't see how you can possibly get an offer at this second place before your offer expires.

It is so tough to get a job right now, and I see no upside to stringing along the first place and letting them know you didn't really want to work there.


When looking for jobs you have to look out for yourself. There is no magic black list that you will be put on and shunned thereafter. I say ask for an extension or accept the first job and do the second interview anyway. An interview is not a job, so there is no harm in going on the interview. Trust me - everyone else will be looking out for themselves and so should you.


THIS. I posted the original advice to renege. I'd say its worse to do this for a summer job. But for full time employment.. who cares if that other place black lists him? He doesn't want to work there anyway and will have his new better job. People move all the time. Look out for yourself. If you break one tie, it wont matter in the long run. Do a good job at the new firm/job and you'll have all the connections you need later on in your career.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.