Advice Needed About Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Law28487

Advice Needed About Offer

Postby Law28487 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I was just offered a position to be a brief writer for a government organization (public defenders) - not sure how good that'll be for my future career prospects. What do you guys think? Do you even have to be a lawyer to be a brief writer?

Aqualibrium

Re: Advice Needed About Offer

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Law28487 wrote:I was just offered a position to be a brief writer for a government organization (public defenders) - not sure how good that'll be for my future career prospects. What do you guys think? Do you even have to be a lawyer to be a brief writer?

Is this for 2L summer or full time? What is the pay? So many questions here...

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:09 pm

For summer or spring?

Law28487

Postby Law28487 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:16 pm

NoleinNY wrote:For summer or spring?

passed the bar, full-time position, $50K
Last edited by Law28487 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:27 pm

What does brief writer mean?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 pm

ben4847 wrote:What does brief writer mean?

literally a person who writes briefs. There are people like that at firms too. Firms try to be fancier and call them "members of the firm's appellate practice" etc...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Are you interested in govt? If so, doesn't sound too bad. Pay isn't bad for PD (then again, I don't know what market you're in), plus 10 yr IBR if you have debt.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

literally a person who writes briefs. There are people like that at firms too. Firms try to be fancier and call them "members of the firm's appellate practice" etc...

Those aren't usually attorneys?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:57 am

ben4847 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Those aren't usually attorneys?

Every one I ever met was...

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:02 am

Aqualibrium wrote:

What? That's absurd. Those people are just that: members of the firm's appellate practice (usually rising superstar studs or senior litigators). The PD equivalent would be . . . appellate defender, which sounds like a far cry from what you've been offered.

Take the job, it pays, will have pretty awesome hours, no stress, loan forgiveness eligibility, you'll get your foot in the door, and may eventually have a chance to move into a regular PD position if they like you.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:13 am

Geist13 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

What? That's absurd. Those people are just that: members of the firm's appellate practice (usually rising superstar studs or senior litigators). The PD equivalent would be . . . appellate defender, which sounds like a far cry from what you've been offered.

Take the job, it pays, will have pretty awesome hours, no stress, loan forgiveness eligibility, you'll get your foot in the door, and may eventually have a chance to move into a regular PD position if they like you.

Perhaps I should have said "some firms call them members of the firm's appellate practice?"

I've worked at 4 mid sized/large law firms...at each one, there were people who whose sole job was to write and edit briefs; at each place, they were identified as members of the firms appellate practice. They never argued the brief themselves, and if they went to court, they were simply there to backup the person who was doing the arguing. Some were partners, some were associates, but in each case their jobs were solely to write and edit briefs.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
Geist13 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Perhaps I should have said "some firms call them members of the firm's appellate practice?"

I've worked at 4 mid sized/large law firms...at each one, there were people who whose sole job was to write and edit briefs; at each place, they were identified as members of the firms appellate practice. They never argued the brief themselves, and if they went to court, they were simply there to backup the person who was doing the arguing. Some were partners, some were associates, but in each case their jobs were solely to write and edit briefs.

Ah yeah, there's people who are responsible for just writing the briefs. I misunderstood what you were saying.

Return to “Legal Employment”