Cover Letters for Chancery Courts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
buchy2009

Cover Letters for Chancery Courts

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm currently applying to state and federal judges in Nashville and I came across a small question I hadn't thought of before our CDO office closed for the holidays...

So maybe this is a silly question, but is it appropriate to head covers letter for chancery courts with "The Honorable so-and-so"? Or is there a more appropriate title to put in front of the judge's name in the heading? Thanks for your help.

buchy2009

Re: Cover Letters for Chancery Courts

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:26 pm

If anyone is interested, I found an answer: "The Honorable Chancellor so-and-so"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm

As someone going to clerk next year in a chancery court, I can say that this is wrong. The correct salutation is "The Honorable [first name, last name]." When applying to Article III judges, you write "The Honorable [name]," not "The Honorable Judge [name]," and chancellors are no different.

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Great, thanks for the timely correction. Congrats on the clerk position!

Return to “Legal Employment”