Confusing Response

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Confusing Response

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:32 pm

I just received an email back from a prospective employer. They stated that they have not determined the scope of their program for the summer. I am not sure if this is a rejection, or rather, we will consider you at a later time, or rather they might not have the funding. Has anyone else had a similar response?

Anonymous User

Re: Confusing Response

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah. I think it means that they just honestly do not know what they're doing over the summer. Doubtful that it is a rejection.

LawIdiot86

Re: Confusing Response

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:45 pm

I had one of these from a firm and it usually means that they don't know if they will hold a program next summer, but wanted to let you know so you won't get your hopes up and keep waiting for them. They may or may not send a rejection as this serves to put you on notice not to expect anything good from them unless they call you. If it is for an agency, this probably means what was advertised as a paid position, won't be one and you should respond saying you understand the limitations in the current climate and are still interested in being considered.

Return to “Legal Employment”