2L Summer Job at Labor Side Union

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ordell

2L Summer Job at Labor Side Union

Postby Ordell » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:47 pm

!
Last edited by Ordell on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawIdiot86

Re: 2L Summer Job at Labor Side Union

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:59 pm

Ordell wrote:Hey guys!

Just wanted some TLS advice...

I'm a 2nd year student (URM-black) at a lower-T50 school in a big legal market. I just scored a summer gig at the GCO for one of the largest labor unions in the country (AFGE, AFL-CIO). And it's paid! I just wanted to know what kind of job this could lead to (I'm certainly interested in practicing L&E law).

Could I end up working in a small firm dedicated to L&E law or even working for the the NLRB?

Also, what kind of salary could I expect should I work as GC for the organization (or a similar one) in my legal career?

Thanks!

I can't speak to small firm or salary, but the NLRB hires about 5 entry level attorneys a year from 1,500 applicants. I had a roommate from a T-50, mid-class who interned there for his 2L summer and despite doing a good job, they told him he pretty much had no shot.

Ordell

Postby Ordell » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:21 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

I'm a 2nd year student (URM-black) at a lower-T50 school in a big legal market. I just scored a summer gig at the GCO for one of the largest labor unions in the country (AFGE, AFL-CIO). And it's paid! I just wanted to know what kind of job this could lead to (I'm certainly interested in practicing L&E law).

Could I end up working in a small firm dedicated to L&E law or even working for the the NLRB?

Also, what kind of salary could I expect should I work as GC for the organization (or a similar one) in my legal career?

Thanks!

I can't speak to small firm or salary, but the NLRB hires about 5 entry level attorneys a year from 1,500 applicants. I had a roommate from a T-50, mid-class who interned there for his 2L summer and despite doing a good job, they told him he pretty much had no shot.

Thank you. what do you think about being in-house counsel for a union or the EEOC? I really want to stay in the DC area.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:43 pm

Just curious, what did you do your first year summer?

Ordell

Postby Ordell » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:52 pm

NoleinNY wrote:Just curious, what did you do your first year summer?

Judicial intern for an ALJ at the city's Department of Employment Services (office of Hearings and Adjudications)

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:41 am

Ordell wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you. what do you think about being in-house counsel for a union or the EEOC? I really want to stay in the DC area.

To the best of my knowledge (Handbook), the EEOC does not hire new lawyers fresh from law school. I've talked to one or two union GCs about the prospects of turning an internship into a fulltime job and they said that pretty much never happens.

Ordell

Postby Ordell » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:28 pm

bump...

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Based on your experience, and the dearth of public sector employment opportunities, I'd say either see what opportunities being inhouse GC for a union could lead to or go to a firm that works with unions and go the Firm ->In-house route/gov't route a few years down the line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:32 pm

I think what OP wants to know (but isn't articulating well enough) is:
1. whether or not general counsel for labor unions tend to hire recent grads
2. whether taking this job could lead to similar/better employment opportunities in the labor law field.

I personally don't know but would venture to guess that he either:
a. gets a judicial clerkship with a judge within the NLRB/FLRA, etc.
b. works in a firm that's focused on representing labor unions
c. get a government job that is related to labor law.

Return to “Legal Employment”