What's the best way to put off reality for a few years?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vader

What's the best way to put off reality for a few years?

Postby Vader » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:53 am

So here's the deal. I'm around the median at a T45 with no LR. I got a bunch of shiny things on my resume but it doesn't matter in the end (moot court etc). The point is, I'm boned when it comes to post-graduation employment and I really don't want to do doc review. I have very little debt, so I was thinking of putting off reality for another X amount of years by picking up some other degree and hopefully my JD will look nice alongside it.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any ideas for what this degree could be. In terms of debt load, I could shoulder a PhD and still be around the average law school debt. So let's talk about ways for me to bail from my hopeless career in law and maybe dodge the crippling depression that would inevitably result from getting dinged after mass mailing a bajillion firms.

c3pO4

Re: What's the best way to put off reality for a few years?

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 am

Vader wrote:So here's the deal. I'm around the median at a T45 with no LR. I got a bunch of shiny things on my resume but it doesn't matter in the end (moot court etc). The point is, I'm boned when it comes to post-graduation employment and I really don't want to do doc review. I have very little debt, so I was thinking of putting off reality for another X amount of years by picking up some other degree and hopefully my JD will look nice alongside it.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any ideas for what this degree could be. In terms of debt load, I could shoulder a PhD and still be around the average law school debt. So let's talk about ways for me to bail from my hopeless career in law and maybe dodge the crippling depression that would inevitably result from getting dinged after mass mailing a bajillion firms.

go back to undergrad, get a BS in computer science. then try to get an iplaw job. if that doesnt work, go get a MA in CS, try again. if that doesn't work, PHD. by then, you can retire.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:55 am

Vader wrote:So here's the deal. I'm around the median at a T45 with no LR. I got a bunch of shiny things on my resume but it doesn't matter in the end (moot court etc). The point is, I'm boned when it comes to post-graduation employment and I really don't want to do doc review. I have very little debt, so I was thinking of putting off reality for another X amount of years by picking up some other degree and hopefully my JD will look nice alongside it.

Translation: I escaped law school relatively unscathed, please think of more ways to ruin me financially.

Seriously dood? Work on your resumes/cover letters, practice interview questions in the mirror, volunteer and do some legal work, but look for a job.

Pro-tip: your crippling fear of rejection won't go away just because you leave the legal industry. Might as well stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:31 am

c3pO4 wrote:

go back to undergrad, get a BS in computer science. then try to get an iplaw job. if that doesnt work, go get a MA in CS, try again. if that doesn't work, PHD. by then, you can retire.

Haha. This. Have fun with the math and physics!

Vader

Postby Vader » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:20 am

Master Tofu wrote:

Translation: I escaped law school relatively unscathed, please think of more ways to ruin me financially.

Seriously dood? Work on your resumes/cover letters, practice interview questions in the mirror, volunteer and do some legal work, but look for a job.

Pro-tip: your crippling fear of rejection won't go away just because you leave the legal industry. Might as well stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.

Well, hey. I'm not afraid of rejection, I just know that I'm lined up to fail given these circumstances. From the way people talk, it's doc review or nothing when it comes to my position.

cantabaout

Postby cantabaout » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:55 am

I see you point.

I think trying to get a technical degree would work best if you want to further your studies. all other degrees will not be of use.

seriously - I dont know anyone with a technical degree who could not find a job.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Sorry but you need to pound the pavement for lawyer work. you took the risk, you lost, time to pay the piper. I understand the desire to stay in school, but you weren't so great at law school, why do you think you can do much better in another grad school program? Beyond that, you are probably 23ish or so now right? Another round of grad school seems okay from that standpoint, but when you are 28 and still in grad school, seeing your friends married with families even if their job is shit, you will wish you had moved on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:08 pm

if getting a techical degree will help OP earn a job (almost 95% certainty) I would not advise against it.

However, that would mean more $$$ and loans.

i am not sure how bad being a middling graduate from a T50 is. If you can swing honors I would advise against getting more degrees.

Vader

Postby Vader » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:25 pm

MrAnon wrote:Sorry but you need to pound the pavement for lawyer work. you took the risk, you lost, time to pay the piper. I understand the desire to stay in school, but you weren't so great at law school, why do you think you can do much better in another grad school program? Beyond that, you are probably 23ish or so now right? Another round of grad school seems okay from that standpoint, but when you are 28 and still in grad school, seeing your friends married with families even if their job is shit, you will wish you had moved on.

I don't have a desire to stay in school, I have a desire to hit the eject button on the practice of law because my future in this career is depressingly dim. I would be fine with working at a small or medium firm, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:29 pm

"Top-45" is an interesting designation.

maximator

Postby maximator » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Do you want to work as a lawyer OP?

I think that if legal employers look at your resume and see that you have taken time off after law school to pursue other degrees it will hurt you. A lot.

If you want to go into some other career then sure, consider other degrees, but I really don't think another degree will help you with legal employment. As mentioned above, a technical degree *might* help you - but just keep in mind that this wisdom is based mostly on people coming into law school with a technical background. I would suspect that finishing law school and then obtaining a technical background would be much less helpful.

I know you are in a tough spot, but if you want to be an attorney, I think you best bet is to keep looking for legal employment.

Good luck.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Your JD degree will look nice alongside bar membership. Take the bar while teaching LSAT prep or paralegal courses.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Vader wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Sorry but you need to pound the pavement for lawyer work. you took the risk, you lost, time to pay the piper. I understand the desire to stay in school, but you weren't so great at law school, why do you think you can do much better in another grad school program? Beyond that, you are probably 23ish or so now right? Another round of grad school seems okay from that standpoint, but when you are 28 and still in grad school, seeing your friends married with families even if their job is shit, you will wish you had moved on.

I don't have a desire to stay in school, I have a desire to hit the eject button on the practice of law because my future in this career is depressingly dim. I would be fine with working at a small or medium firm, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards.

Not everybody gets to be a millionaire without hard work. You never know where things in law may yet lead you.

Voodoo94

Postby Voodoo94 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:11 pm

So here's the deal. I'm around the median at a T45 with no LR. I got a bunch of shiny things on my resume but it doesn't matter in the end (moot court etc). The point is, I'm boned when it comes to post-graduation employment and I really don't want to do doc review. I have very little debt, so I was thinking of putting off reality for another X amount of years by picking up some other degree and hopefully my JD will look nice alongside it.

If you are under 29, I would seriously suggest serving for a few years as a military officer. The Army is probably your best bet right now. Although OCS opportunities for civilians are rapidly decreasing (it was nearly 100% selection rates up until ~18 months ago), Army OCS has the best odds. It's a 3 year service commitment after commissioning and you can apply up to 365 days before graduating from law school. You will vest the new GI Bill for post-Army graduate studies. You will also accrue veterans preference which could be a huge boon for Federal civilian positions. In addition, you will add legitimate leadership and management experience to your resume as well as develop a background in a non-legal specialty through your officer branch (e.g. Corps of Engineers, Signal Corps, Armor, Military Police, etc.)

http://www.armyocs.com

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Vader wrote:I don't have a desire to stay in school, I have a desire to hit the eject button on the practice of law because my future in this career is depressingly dim. I would be fine with working at a small or medium firm, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards.

It is in the cards. Now, go do it.

Return to “Legal Employment”