Telling firms what other markets you're considering?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Telling firms what other markets you're considering?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:23 am

If a firm asks what other markets you're looking at, what's the best way to handle it?

I'm a 1L and applied to about 10 different markets and got interviews in 5 of them. When firms ask "where else are you applying / interviewing," do I tell them all the markets and just assure them their market is my top choice, or do I come up with a more vague response like "well I know the economy is bad so I applied broadly," or is there a better option?

I know honesty is the best policy, but I'm pretty sure that if I tell a firm in a small market that I just had an interview at a Houston biglaw firm, that's an autoding. Any advice?

Re: Telling firms what other markets you're considering?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 am

For 2L, I just said I've applied to a few others in case I get shut out of X, but X is really where I want to be. Then gave a few substantial reasons.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:If a firm asks what other markets you're looking at, what's the best way to handle it?

I'm a 1L and applied to about 10 different markets and got interviews in 5 of them. When firms ask "where else are you applying / interviewing," do I tell them all the markets and just assure them their market is my top choice, or do I come up with a more vague response like "well I know the economy is bad so I applied broadly," or is there a better option?

I know honesty is the best policy, but I'm pretty sure that if I tell a firm in a small market that I just had an interview at a Houston biglaw firm, that's an autoding. Any advice?

The firm I work at is in a smaller secondary market, and we like to know of reasons why you want this area more than what other areas you are considering. I wouldnt say any specific cities or interviews unless they keep prying. I would stick with your plan and say you have applied broadly due to the economy and uncertainty of job prospects. Be sure to give reasons for why you would choose their location/area over the others though. If you seem genuine in your answers you should be fine.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Be very, very careful. Looking uncertain geographically can torpedo your candidacy.

I know people who swung offers across the country, but they tended to be 'perfect storm' candidates who employers were fighting with each other to make offers to.

If you're asked what other firms you're applying to, tell selective truth and talk about firms in the same market. If you're asked what other markets you're applying to, massage it as best you can.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Yeah. I was applying to two markets. Nobody ever asked me what markets I was applying to, but when they asked what other firms I was applying to, I named a couple of other firms in the same market, selectively omitting those in another market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Ur a 1L, they lose a lot of money on you. Why would they do that if they don't think you'll stay with them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:51 am

Not sure about what to do about 1L and your odd situation with 5-10 markets, but for 2L OCI, I was looking at the 3 markets - NYC, and then a home mi-d-market and regional market.

With the smaller markets, I told them, "Look, I'd prefer to be here in Smaller Market, but odds are stacked against me because of sheer numbers. So to be prudent and look out for my future, it makes sense to look at NYC because I'd like a job."

I think if you can tell them, "I'd prefer to be in your market because of XYZ (good/rational reasons), but I'm interviewing in a few other cities because it's good experience to do the interviews and because there's a lot of competition out there."

(One last thing - if you want to end up in a city for 2L that you don't have ties with, I'd suggest going there during 1L summer so that during 2L OCI you can tell them you lived there over summer and confirmed your desire to be there long-term)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Depends on what kind of markets we're talking about. I wouldn't tell Cincinnati, Ohio you're looking in San Fran. But you can tell NYC or DC you're looking in the other if you sell it right. So you really have to consider your audience.

My answer was something like, "I am looking at other mid-sized Midwestern cities like Kansas City, Indianapolis, St. Louis, etc. because I really like X, Y, Z about the environment. They offer the opportunity to do sophisticated legal work for top clients, but also are much more liveable than a city like Chicago, and would be a great place to settle down. I really like yadda yadda about ________ city in particular and it is close to my hometown." I didn't just view this question as a chance to tell them my other markets; I used it as a chance to sell them on their market if I could.

Just know your audience and tailor your response to it. Don't tell some insular or secondary market you're looking on the other side of the country, but if you are looking at similar cities and can spin an answer for why those types of places appeal to you, your answer will do just fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”