What percentile at Michigan?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What percentile at Michigan?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Just wrapping up 1st semester at Michigan.

White dude; nothing special; 2 years paralegal work

What will I need to rank to have a reasonable shot at big law?

What will I need to rank to have a reasonable shot at secondary-market mid-law?

(p.s. just looking for broad-stroke approximations)

Grizz

Re: What percentile at Michigan?

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Go ask your CSO for the list that shows average GPA for CBs and offers. Then take it with a grain of salt.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wrapping up 1st semester at Michigan.

Top third and better gives you a good shot.

Bottom third or better gives you reasonable shot. There probably aren't grades low enough that will totally sink your chances (Within reason, I'm sure 1.5 will fuck you). People in the bottom 10% will get jobs, people in the top third won't.

This goes from the entire lower t13.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Bottom third or better gives you reasonable shot. There probably aren't grades low enough that will totally sink your chances (Within reason, I'm sure 1.5 will fuck you). People in the bottom 10% will get jobs, people in the top third won't.

I hope I am not the only person slightly confused by this?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:50 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I think the point is that some people that, based on grades, shouldn't get jobs will, and some people that, based on grades, should get jobs won't. That is, more than just grades matter.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

He's saying that there's little correlation (a low r^2 value, if you will) between grades an job-getting.

I dunno one way or the other, but I will say that in the past when Michigan has institutionally tanked in job placement, it's been due to poor bidding by its students (brought on by poor bidding advice from CSO). So, uh, bid wisely.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:53 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I think the point is that some people that, based on grades, shouldn't get jobs will, and some people that, based on grades, should get jobs won't. That is, more than just grades matter.

Got it, just making sure I wasnt reading it wrong.

OP: the two years working in a firm, although not unique, will definitely help you.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:56 pm

also you always have next semester to raise your grades (although i suppose you always have next semester to mess up your good grades, too...could cut either way)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Grades aren't the only thing that is important. Some people with poor personal skills or with some bad luck will strike out in the top third. People in the bottom third might have good personal skills and a good resume and they will do alright.

There really isn't a cut off where people go from getting jobs to not getting jobs. Top 10% seems to be aspergers proof. And below bottom third you really need something special to get over the grades hump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:03 pm

seriously, who can't pretend to be nice or have a great personality at an interview?

If you easily get nervous and do not present yourself well, that will be an issue - but this has less to do with personality, and more to do with whether you are a great salesman.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:seriously, who can't pretend to be nice or have a great personality at an interview?

you must be new here

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:seriously, who can't pretend to be nice or have a great personality at an interview?

If you easily get nervous and do not present yourself well, that will be an issue - but this has less to do with personality, and more to do with whether you are a great salesman.

It is as if you do not know of the type of people that attend law school...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:09 pm

I think most people can make an effort to act nice/chatty/personable.
I am driven but introverted (nice, but shy and cold) but I've been able to convince people whom I just met that I was the leader type when I made a conscious effort.

edit:
if you have anxiety attacks that would be another issue. It does not really reflect on your 'bad' personality but on your ability to control your anxiety.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Grades aren't the only thing that is important. Some people with poor personal skills or with some bad luck will strike out in the top third. People in the bottom third might have good personal skills and a good resume and they will do alright.

There really isn't a cut off where people go from getting jobs to not getting jobs. Top 10% seems to be aspergers proof. And below bottom third you really need something special to get over the grades hump.

Except for top 10% + LR guy who struck out anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:42 pm

flcath wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

He's saying that there's little correlation (a low r^2 value, if you will) between grades an job-getting.

I dunno one way or the other, but I will say that in the past when Michigan has institutionally tanked in job placement, it's been due to poor bidding by its students (brought on by poor bidding advice from CSO). So, uh, bid wisely.

R^2 is not used to measure correlation. It is used to measure goodness-of-fit. A model that includes a dependent variable highly correlated with the independent variable(s) could (and often does) have a low R^2. This is because the model omits relevant variables that influence the dependent variable. But that does not imply that the dependent variable (job placement success) is not strongly correlated with the independent variable(s) (GPA) being used. A low R^2 only implies that job placement success is not explained predominantly by GPA. I believe this is what you meant flcath. But a low R^2 does not equate to little correlation.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:R^2 is not used to measure correlation. It is used to measure goodness-of-fit. A model that includes a dependent variable highly correlated with the independent variable(s) could (and often does) have a low R^2. This is because the model omits relevant variables that influence the dependent variable. But that does not imply that the dependent variable (job placement success) is not strongly correlated with the independent variable(s) (GPA) being used. A low R^2 only implies that job placement success is not explained predominantly by GPA. I believe this is what you meant flcath. But a low R^2 does not equate to little correlation.
...I think you need to be aiming for:
Desert Fox wrote:Top 10% seems to be aspergers proof.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:12 pm

My second semester raised my GPA by .3. Don't freak too much about the first semester. Anywhere above median is a pretty solid chance. Below median many still have BigLaw that want it. The lower you go, the more secondary the market you're looking at. (I'm a 2L at Michigan.)

Just be smart with your bidding. Median and no ties shouldnt be shooting for DC, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”