Grades out, very likely top 5 percent--what now? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Haymarket

Bronze

Re: Grades out, very likely top 5 percent--what now?

Post by Haymarket » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You got the exact same GPA as the person who posted a similar thread two days ago! Oh. Wait.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=174076
You are way too late for this joke to be funny. Also someone already made it.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You got the exact same GPA as the person who posted a similar thread two days ago! Oh. Wait.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=174076
You are way too late for this joke to be funny. Also someone already made it.
That was my accidental anonymous post. And I so wanted you to think I was funny. Off to have a good cry.

SwampRat88

Bronze

Post by SwampRat88 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Last edited by SwampRat88 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:50 pm

SwampRat88 wrote:OP here. Just found out I booked torts I, so where should I put that on my resume?

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Congrats. Under honors.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:08 pm

First: Think about repeating this success next semester. Work just as hard again, and definitely don't rest on your laurels. That GPA is now yours to keep or lose.

Second: Don't expect a 1L summer associateship, but go ahead and try for one. I know people who were top 5% at T14's who didn't get 1L SA'ships. If you have URM status, it will help you there.

Third: If you want biglaw, think about transferring to a school which has a strong OCI machine behind it. That means somewhere where 50-100's of firms are going to be at OCI, and which has strong regional/national placement stats. All the schools from T-20 to T1 should have something like this. A T-20's OCI should help you get a summer associateship (although nothing in life is guaranteed).

Fourth: If you are going to stay at your school, you should at least use those grades to increase your scholarship moneys.

At the end of the day, you're going to have to be in charge of your own life here. There are some big choices ahead of you in the next 8 months, which could very well affect the course of your career (assuming that you are looking at biglaw!)

EDIT: I see there is talk of you staying in Louisville. In this case, U of L might be your best bet! Notice I'm saying might here. I don't know much about Lousiville firms, but isn't it possible that OP could work in a major mkt like NY or DC for 3-4 years, then lateral into Lousiville? Just a thought...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:59 pm

daesonesb wrote:I see there is talk of you staying in Louisville. In this case, U of L might be your best bet! Notice I'm saying might here. I don't know much about Lousiville firms, but isn't it possible that OP could work in a major mkt like NY or DC for 3-4 years, then lateral into Lousiville? Just a thought...
If OP wants to work in Louisville there is no point in working in NY for 3-4 years just to lateral. That's a completely insane idea, especially given how easy it will be for someone in the top 5% at Louisville to land a job in that city, and how transferring is no sure thing on getting Biglaw somewhere else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:36 pm

You also might want to talk to career services. There have been a lot of mergers and shakeups in the Louisville market recently, and even today Greenebaum announced that it is merging with Bingham McHale (Indianapolis), which will likely affect its summer program in some way. Wouldn't be surprised to see Wyatt and Stoll make moves sooner or later to keep up with the competition.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:25 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Really?

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Was wondering what could possibly have made anyone think this thread needed reviving. This is ok though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:41 pm

I take back my congratulations

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Wow

OP you are a douche. I hope you get divorced.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 pm

In case people are interested in what transpired here, you should visit the cached version of the xoxo link provided above. username "swamprat88" on xoxo said some choice things (many of which have now been edited out by the xoxo user who is, incidentally, since renamed):
1L. First exam tomorrow. Married to med student. I shouldn't be stressing out because she is guaranteed to make at minimum 180K starting, and her father is an executive for a multinational corporation.

Reinforce to me that I will be fine.

Disclaimer: Low-end TT, with 1/3 scholly.
Doubtful. I love the fact that I go to a TT and will outperform f[*****]s who go to T6 schools over my lifetime in earning potential. Pwned.
You're the exception. Most T6 grads will not outperform my household. 10 years from now we will realistically be bringing in 220-300K, depending on her specialty and my career in law.

Most T6 f[*****]s will still be making 150-200K.

20 years from now from I inherit and our incomes have increased? They're all fucked even more.

Nubs.
Bro, I'm married to an MD. I'm fine if I just bring in 40-50K starting.

Lawl School just sucks big dick, that's all.
Just did my first exam (it was torts). Think I did pretty well, but may have missed a Res Ipsa.

Fuck you all.

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:38 pm

LOL^^ Nice work, Bildungsroman

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:outing swamp rat
TYFT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”