Grades out, very likely top 5 percent--what now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SwampRat88

Grades out, very likely top 5 percent--what now?

Postby SwampRat88 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:14 am

Last edited by SwampRat88 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Guchster

Re: Grades out, very likely top 5 percent--what now?

Postby Guchster » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:16 am

SwampRat88 wrote:GPA is 3.861 at U. of Louisville. Class rank isn't released yet, but historically that GPA should place me in the top 3-5 %, at worst.

Class of 2013 (138 students)*
Top 5% = 3.583
Top 10% = 3.352
Top 15% = 3.241
Top 20% = 3.174
Top Quarter = 3.119
Top Third = 2.954
Top Half = 2.703

*Have completed two semesters of law school; based on Spring 2011 grades
Class of 2012 (117 students)
Top 5% = 3.542
Top 10% = 3.361
Top 15% = 3.291
Top 20% = 3.233
Top Quarter = 3.185
Top Third = 3.103
Top Half = 2.826

February is OCI. What do I need to be doing between now and then to maximize my chances at the top firms in Louisville?

Did I miss the coming out party where you disclosed ur school!? *Also, never congrats'd you on your grades/life-victory, so congrats! Keep subtle-bragging, it gives the rest of us in depths of hell hope!

SwampRat88

Postby SwampRat88 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:18 am

Guchster wrote:
SwampRat88 wrote:GPA is 3.861 at U. of Louisville. Class rank isn't released yet, but historically that GPA should place me in the top 3-5 %, at worst.

Top 5% = 3.583
Top 10% = 3.352
Top 15% = 3.241
Top 20% = 3.174
Top Quarter = 3.119
Top Third = 2.954
Top Half = 2.703

Top 5% = 3.542
Top 10% = 3.361
Top 15% = 3.291
Top 20% = 3.233
Top Quarter = 3.185
Top Third = 3.103
Top Half = 2.826

February is OCI. What do I need to be doing between now and then to maximize my chances at the top firms in Louisville?

Did I miss the coming out party where you disclosed ur school!? *Also, never congrats'd you on your grades/life-victory, so congrats! Keep subtle-bragging, it gives the rest of us in depths of hell hope!

Last edited by SwampRat88 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:19 am

Prob learn how to write a good cover letter and resume. You shouldn't use the templates given by your career center. Look for b-school templates; they're way better. Look to transfer up.

truevines

Postby truevines » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 am

Dude, relax and enjoy your Xmas.

If you really want to:
get a nice suit; work on your answers to all the cliche interview questions; do some mock interviews; research the firms that you're interested in; prepare for the 2nd semester.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:29 am

ran12 wrote:Prob learn how to write a good cover letter and resume. You shouldn't use the templates given by your career center. Look for b-school templates; they're way better. Look to transfer up.

I support this thread + user so I will not resort to my usual troll antics.

+ Get the resume in 'boring' LS format. Clear it with your OCS as soon as possible. CLS here is really strick with our resumes (even about italics!), and do this ASAP.

+ Cover letters for me were EXTREMELY painful to write, but do them before Xmas to just get them out of the way. I'm not sure why I procrastinated so long (out of fear), since they don't have too huge of a positive impact on 1L job hiring (although they could really mess you up with typos/poor grammar/bad copy-paste job).

+ Compile NALP directory crap, start looking up employers that will come to your OCI and amassing info that you can spout back when they ask you "Why _____ (insert 1 in a million firms)?"

+ Mock interviews. Practice making professional small talk if you're a weirdo like most of my classmates (and probs. me).

+ Let me reiterate, get this shit out of your hair asap. It never hurts to be done early. And I'd recommend getting as much feedback about your resume/cover letters/interview skillz as you can. Considering you'll have your way with OCI/recruiters, take the stress out of this equation by early start and longggg editing process.

EDIT: I'm a HUGE slacker, so don't think these suggestions will help you (versus relaxing and waiting until late Jan. to start)--they're more of a way to take stress out of the stressful time leading up to OCI. take things at your own pace.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:58 am

You should stop posting this in different threads, and then try to replicate it next semester.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:00 am

5ky wrote:You should stop posting this in different threads, and then try to replicate it next semester.

+1

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:06 am

Start researching all firms you are considering interviewing with. Research them hard, find out exactly what type of law they are good at and come up with good reasons why you want to work for that firm in particular.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:19 am

shoeshine wrote:
5ky wrote:You should stop posting this in different threads, and then try to replicate it next semester.

+1

+2.

Everyone was happy for you. We were happy that you succeeded and did well in school and led a wonderful life. But fuck man, it's getting to be a bit much. This thread exists solely to pad your obviously growing ego. If prior to this, you were unclear that top 5% from a TT is quite respectable and will open some doors, than it is inconceivable to me how you earned the grades that you've earned. It's funny that I'm quoting shoeshine, because at one point, I dropped this same line on him. Act like you've been there before, bro.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:02 pm

How the hell did you get grades back so fast? I'm not even finished taking exams...

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:15 pm

First thing I would do if I were you is stop thinking about 1l Oci so much. Second, realize that your chance of getting a 1l SA is slim even at the top of the class. It would be great if you get one but you would be better off focusing on replicating your success so you can do well at the oci that actually matters.

3L Student

Postby 3L Student » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:41 pm

I was in the same position as you during my 1L at a T2.

You most likely will not land a 1L SA gig. But reach out to the firms and see what happens. Don't ruin your second semester grades trying, however.

I would consider transferring. Send out an app to GULC ED, and you should hear back by March. Then hit all of the other T10s--you have a good shot at one of them if you really are, and REMAIN, in the top 3%. You are not going to be in the running for HYS, but you could waste your money on Harvard, maybe. Transferring will give you a much better position come OCI. Only one or two in the top 5% at my old T2 landed BigLaw jobs.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:21 pm

I second the "transfer" advice.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 pm

quit while you're ahead

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Top 5% = 3.583
Top 10% = 3.352
Top 15% = 3.241
Top 20% = 3.174
Top Quarter = 3.119
Top Third = 2.954
Top Half = 2.703

Top 5% = 3.542
Top 10% = 3.361
Top 15% = 3.291
Top 20% = 3.233
Top Quarter = 3.185
Top Third = 3.103
Top Half = 2.826

transfer to a school where your performance would elicit more than a "meh."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:32 pm

and now. we drink.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:First thing I would do if I were you is stop thinking about 1l Oci so much. Second, realize that your chance of getting a 1l SA is slim even at the top of the class. It would be great if you get one but you would be better off focusing on replicating your success so you can do well at the oci that actually matters.

This is not true about working at a large firm in Louisville. They frequently hire 1Ls like OP.

Notor

Postby Notor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:14 pm

OP should be contacting pretty much every firm in the immediately geographic area trying to get a 1L SA, even if its really unlikely, as soon as possible.

Also I'd advise against transferring unless OP doesn't want to work in Louisville. Probably will get a scholly if you don't have one already. If so, OP probably will have the pick of the city unless they are just totally socially incompetent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Notor wrote:OP should be contacting pretty much every firm in the immediately geographic area trying to get a 1L SA, even if its really unlikely, as soon as possible.

All the large firms will be coming to Louisville OCI in Feb. No need to contact them now. Just check with OCS to be sure.

Also I'd advise against transferring unless OP doesn't want to work in Louisville. Probably will get a scholly if you don't have one already. If so, OP probably will have the pick of the city unless they are just totally socially incompetent.

Agree with this. If OP wants to stay in Kentucky, don't transfer out of the state.

Notor

Postby Notor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
All the large firms will be coming to Louisville OCI in Feb. No need to contact them now. Just check with OCS to be sure.

Yes, but you should start building the connection now so when OCI time comes they will be able to place a face to a name. You can contact firms ahead of time by either emailing/calling alumni who work there now and ask if they have a few minutes to talk to you about practicing in Louisville or whatever gets them to talk to you, or also try to contact the recruiting manager at the firms to kind of ask the same thing.

Also I doubt EVERY firm that takes 1L SA's will be coming to a spring OCI, OP should be looking at Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Lexington, etc. and trying to find out who there takes 1L SA's, because I know some do. If OP's grades are indeed top 5% and OP isn't total fail when it comes to personality/interviewing, OP stands a good chance of at the minimum making connections that can really pay off come Fall OCI before 2L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:12 am

Notor wrote:Yes, but you should start building the connection now so when OCI time comes they will be able to place a face to a name. You can contact firms ahead of time by either emailing/calling alumni who work there now and ask if they have a few minutes to talk to you about practicing in Louisville or whatever gets them to talk to you, or also try to contact the recruiting manager at the firms to kind of ask the same thing.

Also I doubt EVERY firm that takes 1L SA's will be coming to a spring OCI, OP should be looking at Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Lexington, etc. and trying to find out who there takes 1L SA's, because I know some do. If OP's grades are indeed top 5% and OP isn't total fail when it comes to personality/interviewing, OP stands a good chance of at the minimum making connections that can really pay off come Fall OCI before 2L.

It's not that these are bad ideas, but some of it is unnecessary. There are only about six really large firms in the state right now (if OP wants to stay in KY), and they'll be at Louisville's OCI (again, I suggested checking with career services to make sure this is accurate). But I know from experience that the big firms in KY want to recruit through OCI, not beforehand. This is literally what I was told when trying to contact firms coming to OCI.

If they aren't coming to OCI, or you're just talking about generally networking in the Louisville legal community, then go for it. Networking is always a good thing. But the top of the top at Louisville and Kentucky will have their pick of the large firms in the state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 am

You are in the rare position that you might be 1/5 kids that can get Louisville "Biglaw" for your 1L summer. First of all, if you want to be in Louisville in the long run, do not transfer. If you transfer (especially to Vandy or Chicago as you mentioned in other posts), it's not likely that you will be able to get back into the market. People in Louisville that came from Vandy/T-14 had substantial connections to the city and/or went to undergrad there. It will be almost inconceivable that a firm will believe you "want to be in Louisville" if you were at U of L for a year then transferred, especially because the market is so dominated by UK/U of L.

If you decide that you want to stay in Louisville, here are some things to note:
-You don't stand a chance in Lexington (and you probably have little interest there anyways); it's a smaller market and dominated by UK; without some sort of outstanding tie, you won't be able to compete in Lexington
-Cincinnati will be tough as well; there, you're competing with UC, OSU, UK, Chase, some T14, etc. It's worth a look, but you should focus most of your efforts on Louisville (same with Indianapolis)
-Louisville is really OCI-based, and the biggest challenge you will face is competition from T14 kids and maybe some from UK; it wouldn't hurt to maybe reach out to contacts/alumni (but be very tactful about how you express your interest and qualifications)
-Hammer home the fact that you want to be in Louisville (and that's why you went to U of L), because that is perhaps the biggest selling point/advantage that you have over other candidates
-Be prepared: there are only 5-6 "Biglaw" firms in Louisville, and not all of them take 1Ls

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You are in the rare position that you might be 1/5 kids that can get Louisville "Biglaw" for your 1L summer. First of all, if you want to be in Louisville in the long run, do not transfer. If you transfer (especially to Vandy or Chicago as you mentioned in other posts), it's not likely that you will be able to get back into the market. People in Louisville that came from Vandy/T-14 had substantial connections to the city and/or went to undergrad there. It will be almost inconceivable that a firm will believe you "want to be in Louisville" if you were at U of L for a year then transferred, especially because the market is so dominated by UK/U of L.

If you decide that you want to stay in Louisville, here are some things to note:
-You don't stand a chance in Lexington (and you probably have little interest there anyways); it's a smaller market and dominated by UK; without some sort of outstanding tie, you won't be able to compete in Lexington
-Cincinnati will be tough as well; there, you're competing with UC, OSU, UK, Chase, some T14, etc. It's worth a look, but you should focus most of your efforts on Louisville (same with Indianapolis)
-Louisville is really OCI-based, and the biggest challenge you will face is competition from T14 kids and maybe some from UK; it wouldn't hurt to maybe reach out to contacts/alumni (but be very tactful about how you express your interest and qualifications)
-Hammer home the fact that you want to be in Louisville (and that's why you went to U of L), because that is perhaps the biggest selling point/advantage that you have over other candidates
-Be prepared: there are only 5-6 "Biglaw" firms in Louisville, and not all of them take 1Ls

This is all good information. If you have ties to Louisville you should be golden. Seek out 2Ls who did Louisville biglaw to find out where you stand the best chance for this summer. I think Stoll Keenon Ogden hires big 1L classes and Wyatt Tarrant Combs, Greenebaum Doll McDonald, and Stites & Harbison all hire 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:54 pm

You got the exact same GPA as the person who posted a similar thread two days ago! Oh. Wait.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=174076

Return to “Legal Employment”