Need Resume Advice for 1l Summer Jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
the11111111

Need Resume Advice for 1l Summer Jobs

Postby the11111111 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Hey guys,

I am formatting my resume and I was wondering if anyone else has been told that the resume should not have any special formatting (i.e it should be bland, other than the info). Our career services guy is new and super type A (harvard grad, with a few years of experience so I'm not saying Im completely not listening to him). I was only making a minor font change here or there to set my resume apart but the career services guy was saying basically to follow some of the generic templates to a T....

BlueDiamond

Re: Need Resume Advice for 1l Summer Jobs

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:09 pm

the11111111 wrote:Hey guys,

I am formatting my resume and I was wondering if anyone else has been told that the resume should not have any special formatting (i.e it should be bland, other than the info). Our career services guy is new and super type A (harvard grad, with a few years of experience so I'm not saying Im completely not listening to him). I was only making a minor font change here or there to set my resume apart but the career services guy was saying basically to follow some of the generic templates to a T....

i took the approach that if you follow the generic template that you look generic.. why would i want my resume to look just like the same piece of paper 100 of my classmates sent the same person.. applied to fed district court judge Dec 3rd.. got the internship Dec 9th

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Look at sample legal resumes. They are supposed to look really boring. That said, a minor font change is probably ok. It doesn't have to be in Times New Roman, but it shouldn't be in something totally weird either.

the11111111

Postby the11111111 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Yea it wasn't totally wierd but it was a different format than the sample generic one that out career center is trying to make everyone follow....

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:15 pm

the11111111 wrote:Yea it wasn't totally wierd but it was a different format than the sample generic one that out career center is trying to make everyone follow....

they cant MAKE you do anything.. use their template.. change where needed.. send on nice paper.. dont write on the envelope, type and print labels

you and the government pay the harvard guy

also harvard guy working career services = harvard guy who was bottom 5%

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:40 pm

I've had much better luck doing the opposite of whatever career services tells me to do.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 pm

You are old enough to make judgment calls and use your discretion regarding what resume font you think is appropriate. If you don't have an eye for it at this point, you never will, and no counselor should be instructing you on the matter. So I wouldn't give two shits about what he says.

the11111111

Postby the11111111 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks guys

Firms.ly

Postby Firms.ly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:05 pm

There's definitely a balance between being too generic and being too different. Generic doesn't have the upside of standing out, but there's no real chance of turning a recruiter off to your resume solely based on its looks. A little different can catch the eye and make them pause half a second longer than the 5 seconds they usually spend skimming, but the downside is you may not appeal to the personal taste of a particular recruiter. I wouldn't stress over minor differences, though, and say go for it. Although it's probably better to leave off the glitter and cologne.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 pm

godamnit, I really hope there are still some jobs in DC. And I really hope that no one asks for my Fall grades, cause that shit is gonna be embarrassing.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:58 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:godamnit, I really hope there are still some jobs in DC. And I really hope that no one asks for my Fall grades, cause that shit is gonna be embarrassing.

Don't worry; there weren't any to begin with.

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:07 pm

I ran into this same problem with my CSO. I decided to take all of their advice on the content of my resume (what to put on there, how to phrase things, etc.) but I used my own format. I figured that in the end, it had my name at the top so I better be happy with it.

Return to “Legal Employment”