Exam Period/Holiday gifts from Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exam Period/Holiday gifts from Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Let's hear 'em.

So far I've heard:
- Cookies from Winston and Strawn
- A basket of assorted treats from DPW
- Big fat nothing for K&E except a holiday eCard.

Anonymous User

Re: Exam Period/Holiday gifts from Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=167273

You're welcome.

No.

That's not what TS asked.

I'm a 3L, for example, and have just received a cookie/brownie gift box from Kaye Scholer (having had an associate position with them last summer).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=167273

You're welcome.

No.

That's not what TS asked.

I'm a 3L, for example, and have just received a cookie/brownie gift box from Kaye Scholer (having had an associate position with them last summer).

Can you PM me?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:22 pm

S&C sends giant gift baskets and bonsai trees.

* jealous mutters and bitter feelings towards my firm for not being S&C[FN1] *

[FN1] in the context of bonsai tree distribution only

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Fleece jacket from Weil.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:54 pm

Hoping for baked goods...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:22 pm

Bump. Anyone get anything yet this year? It's sad, but a nice little gift or something would brighten up my exam period considerably.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:27 pm

piccolittle wrote:Bump. Anyone get anything yet this year? It's sad, but a nice little gift or something would brighten up my exam period considerably.

Skadden sent hoodies. Bingham sent cookies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Got brownies/cookies from Skadden...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Starbucks gift card from Jones Day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:14 pm

To clarify, are we talking about Holiday gifts for 3Ls that will be joining the firm as an associate next fall?

Thanks!

dudders

Postby dudders » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To clarify, are we talking about Holiday gifts for 3Ls that will be joining the firm as an associate next fall?

Thanks!

I was going to answer this question but it's such a ridiculous example of anon abuse I decided not to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:54 pm

dudders wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To clarify, are we talking about Holiday gifts for 3Ls that will be joining the firm as an associate next fall?

Thanks!

I was going to answer this question but it's such a ridiculous example of anon abuse I decided not to.

(1) I'm sure some firms do this (and I know some even invite 3Ls to their firm holiday events), but I think it's more common for 2Ls entering the summer program.

(2) It may not be anon abuse. Plenty of posters here keep their employment status close to the vest if not entirely secret, and posting a question ITT would be like shouting "I am employed with a major firm." The extent to which one posts revealing personal details elsewhere can determine the extent to which they need the protection of the anonymous feature - the totality of somebody's posting is more important than one discrete instance. Lastly, even if you suspect something is anon abuse, it's against the forum's rules to call it out in the thread because it just creates needless clutter. Just report it and move on.

(3) Hilariously, I didn't mean to post this anonymously and accidentally hit the button. Instead of fixing it I'll just reveal outing information: I am a 5' 9" white male who was born in Washington, D.C. and majored in theatre arts. My favorite scotch is Glenfiddich 12, though the 15 is nice too. I got my first dog as a freshman in high school and it died around this time last year.

Plz don't out me mods.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dudders wrote:

Thanks!

(1) I'm sure some firms do this (and I know some even invite 3Ls to their firm holiday events), but I think it's more common for 2Ls entering the summer program.

(2) It may not be anon abuse. Plenty of posters here keep their employment status close to the vest if not entirely secret, and posting a question ITT would be like shouting "I am employed with a major firm." The extent to which one posts revealing personal details elsewhere can determine the extent to which they need the protection of the anonymous feature - the totality of somebody's posting is more important than one discrete instance. Lastly, even if you suspect something is anon abuse, it's against the forum's rules to call it out in the thread because it just creates needless clutter. Just report it and move on.

(3) Hilariously, I didn't mean to post this anonymously and accidentally hit the button. Instead of fixing it I'll just reveal outing information: I am a 5' 9" white male who was born in Washington, D.C. and majored in theatre arts. My favorite scotch is Glenfiddich 12, though the 15 is nice too. I got my first dog as a freshman in high school and it died around this time last year.

Plz don't out me mods.

Original OP that asked question! Thank you for clarifying and being polite about it. The reason I asked was because I was going to provide info depending on the circumstances. My 2L firm (Patterson) gave me a $100 gift card for accepting to a local snazzy restaurant. I traded up and accepted a different offer as a 3L post graduation. So I was curious to see whether these gifts reflected 2Ls or 3Ls.

Dudders needs to lighten up! It's the holidays! Don't take stress out on others!

Happy holidays TLS, and hope those gifts help lighten your moods as you study for finals!!

dudders

Postby dudders » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dudders wrote:

Thanks!

Plz don't out me mods.

Original OP that asked question! Thank you for clarifying and being polite about it. The reason I asked was because I was going to provide info depending on the circumstances. My 2L firm (Patterson) gave me a $100 gift card for accepting to a local snazzy restaurant. I traded up and accepted a different offer as a 3L post graduation. So I was curious to see whether these gifts reflected 2Ls or 3Ls.

Dudders needs to lighten up! It's the holidays! Don't take stress out on others!

Happy holidays TLS, and hope those gifts help lighten your moods as you study for finals!!

Sorry. I didn't take it as akin to "outing" your big firm employment. I actually assumed you were a 0L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Clifford Chance sent 3Ls Fat Witch brownies in October for Halloween and a blanket in November (with logo of course). Haven't received Christmas gift yet but I can only hope this means they've implemented some sort of monthly surprise. I know it's silly but I can't help liking the attention- it's like if your SO kept buying you presents and writing you love notes after the initial courting period.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Brownies from Skadden.....was very confused at first because I was thinking my roommate ordered brownies over the Internet but figured that it was understandable given it is exam period

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Box from the Popcorn Factory from DPW :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm a 2L going to OMM this summer. I didn't realize firms gave anything out. In any case, after I accepted my summer offer I got emails from everybody I interviewed with expressing their excitement that I was joining the firm for the summer but no gift for accepting, nor have I received any kind of study/holiday gift. I did get invited to the holiday office party though.

Anybody know if OMM gives anything to people who receive full time offers? I mean, besides the wonder and glory of receiving a full time job offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Cadwalader sent a hand written card + Starbucks gift card and asked for measurements for a sweatshirt or jacket or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 am

Cahill sent a card.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Cake pops from Ropes last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Contrary to OPs claim, K&E sent a Starbucks card for finals and said a holiday gift would be arriving shortly after the New Year. They also sent chocolate covered pretzels early in the semester (I think for all those who received an offer).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I hate law students.

Return to “Legal Employment”