SEC for 2L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC for 2L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:26 am

I am trying to decide between a summer internship with the SEC and a position with a state AG office. I am really interested in working for the SEC and I am sure that I would really enjoy the experience. However, given that it offers no chance of post grad employment, I am hesitant to accept. Plus, there is a decent chance my internship with the AG's office would lead to an offer for full-time employment.

Anyone have any insight? Specifically, does anyone know what kind of options an internship with the SEC may offer?

Thanks!

Veyron

Re: SEC for 2L summer?

Postby Veyron » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:48 am

Can't be serious. You're up shit creek, do whats going to get you employed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am

Is it a rule they don't offer full time employ? I think I remember when I interviewed with them that they said I would be considered for full-time employment after graduation. I know it's rare but it happens, no?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 am

Veyron wrote:Can't be serious. You're up shit creek, do whats going to get you employed.

I would like to work for the SEC. However, I also want to do what's gonna get me employed. That's my dilemma!

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it a rule they don't offer full time employ? I think I remember when I interviewed with them that they said I would be considered for full-time employment after graduation. I know it's rare but it happens, no?

It happens with a rarity that would make it absurd to even consider post-internship employment as a factor in taking the position. When I interviewed, they said they expect to hire at most 3-5 people straight from law school on an agency-wide basis this year. There are about 75 people in each of their semester internship programs and 150 in their summer honors program. Since there were 2,000 applications last year for the 6 entry-level positions, I assume at least 300 of them, if not more, were predicated on the applicant's prior experience at the Commission as an intern.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:Can't be serious. You're up shit creek, do whats going to get you employed.

I would like to work for the SEC. However, I also want to do what's gonna get me employed. That's my dilemma!

AG herp derp

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Anyone care to speculate how useful SEC 2L would be in getting a firm position after graduation?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone care to speculate how useful SEC 2L would be in getting a firm position after graduation?

Speculate? . . . Okay. You'll find that an SEC internship will open vast numbers of firm opportunities previously unavailable to you. You will look back and fondly recall taking it as the best professional decision you ever made.

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:45 am

Aside from geography, are there any meaningful differences between the regional offices?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Aside from geography, are there any meaningful differences between the regional offices?

Well, the Utah office has 20 people and the New York office has over 300 for instance, so yes, there are meaningful differences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:35 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Aside from geography, are there any meaningful differences between the regional offices?

Well, the Utah office has 20 people and the New York office has over 300 for instance, so yes, there are meaningful differences.

Yes there is that. However, I was thinking more in terms of how the experience would be looked upon by employers?

CandyLand

Postby CandyLand » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Yes there is that. However, I was thinking more in terms of how the experience would be looked upon by employers?

Seriously? Come on now. The differences in office size should basically answer your question for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Do you go to school in the same city as an SEC field office? If you want to work in the enforcement division, it's quite common to volunteer for credit during the school year.

Return to “Legal Employment”