No interest in sports?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: No interest in sports?

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the good advice guys.

I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. And in my experience, it makes the interview process just so hard sometimes when I have to be interviewed by jock-ish dudes. It never has made a difference AFTER the fact...it's always in the interview where stuff like this comes up.

I hope they read my resume and match associates/partners to me that match my interests.

Asking about sports isn't some insidious heteronormative conspiracy. So sorry other people are trying to talk to you like a normal person. You sound like a drag.

Just read ESPN every day. Interviewing is a game; play to win (lol sports analogy, u mad)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Grizz wrote:

I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. And in my experience, it makes the interview process just so hard sometimes when I have to be interviewed by jock-ish dudes. It never has made a difference AFTER the fact...it's always in the interview where stuff like this comes up.

I hope they read my resume and match associates/partners to me that match my interests.

Asking about sports isn't some insidious heteronormative conspiracy. So sorry other people are trying to talk to you like a normal person. You sound like a drag.

Just read ESPN every day. Interviewing is a game; play to win (lol sports analogy, u mad)?

--ImageRemoved--

good game.

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:28 pm

You should learn the skill of mirroring for questions that get difficult. The thing you have to always keep in mind is that a question from an interviewer/evaluator is ALWAYS a reflection of what is important/prioritized to them. So, when you get in a situation where they ask a question you know NOTHING about, you mirror back and let THEM talk about it... studies show that people respond VERY FAVORABLY to this in general. So, for examples:

Qu: Did you see the game (Cowboys) last night?
Ans: No, I missed it, was it good?

Qu: How you gonna handle the heat here in Texas?
Ans: I hear it gets pretty hot. What do you normally do when the temps peak?

Qu: Do you golf?
Ans: Haven't tried my hand at it yet. Do you go regularly?

Qu: What do you do in your free time?
Ans: Up until now, I mostly study. What types of stuff are fun to do around here?

The key to this method is that you then REALLY HAVE TO LISTEN. Know that you are hearing the answer to what matters to them. Make them feel important, respected, and that their opinion of whatever they answer great and totally important to you too!

Just one person's method. Hope it helps. I have never interviewed for something I didn't get an offer for. Just don't be a conversation killer!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. And in my experience, it makes the interview process just so hard sometimes when I have to be interviewed by jock-ish dudes.

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I like Texas and my friends and family are there. I'm not socially awkward (if I don't say so myself, lol), but I just worry connecting with male interviewers, particularly about sports things.

Your open-mindedness and tolerance are showing.

Having gone through the OCI process in Texas:

1. Texas female lawyers are just as likely to bring up football as male lawyers. This is especially true for any female lawyer with a connection to an SEC school. It seemed to me that every female associate was bragging about winning her fantasy football league or March Madness pool. Hell, one female partner had an awesome theory about how Art Briles is the ultimate developer of quarterback talent (going back to his Stephenville days) and predicted that RG3 would win the Heisman this year. More impressive was the fact that she had no connections to Baylor and was making an objective prediction. I know this anecdote doesn't mean much to you, but trust me, making that prediction before the CFB season is impressive.

2. When you live in the state of Texas you live in the state of football. When in Rome ....

3. 50/50 on whether sports come up in individual interviews. You're in luck that the college football season is basically over and high school playoffs will be over by the time you interview (yes, I've seen Texas high school football come up in interviews and group settings). If you find yourself hustling for a Texas position at OCI next fall, expect sports to come up. Hope springs eternal in late August and football season is just about to start off. It inevitably comes up. Also, expect sports to come up in group settings like receptions and dinners.

Good luck!

Permian Panthers are going all the way this year.

Katy Tigers.

amyamy

Postby amyamy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:29 pm

I can relate to OP although very seldom do I find a guy who is not into sports.

I had a chat with an old guy some years ago. He's into tennis (watching, not playing - he's not the sporty type and I cannot imagine him being good at it). I was not very polished. I told him that I was not interested and he said 'oh that's no good.' I knew immediately that he did not like me.

Though I don't like tennis, I like yoga, swimming..... I just don't like ball games.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. And in my experience, it makes the interview process just so hard sometimes when I have to be interviewed by jock-ish dudes.

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I like Texas and my friends and family are there. I'm not socially awkward (if I don't say so myself, lol), but I just worry connecting with male interviewers, particularly about sports things.

1. Texas female lawyers are just as likely to bring up football as male lawyers. This is especially true for any female lawyer with a connection to an SEC school. It seemed to me that every female associate was bragging about winning her fantasy football league or March Madness pool. Hell, one female partner had an awesome theory about how Art Briles is the ultimate developer of quarterback talent (going back to his Stephenville days) and predicted that RG3 would win the Heisman this year. More impressive was the fact that she had no connections to Baylor and was making an objective prediction. I know this anecdote doesn't mean much to you, but trust me, making that prediction before the CFB season is impressive.

2. When you live in the state of Texas you live in the state of football. When in Rome ....

3. 50/50 on whether sports come up in individual interviews. You're in luck that the college football season is basically over and high school playoffs will be over by the time you interview (yes, I've seen Texas high school football come up in interviews and group settings). If you find yourself hustling for a Texas position at OCI next fall, expect sports to come up. Hope springs eternal in late August and football season is just about to start off. It inevitably comes up. Also, expect sports to come up in group settings like receptions and dinners.

Good luck!

Katy Tigers.

TITCR

amyamy

Postby amyamy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:31 pm

such great advice

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!

Katy Tigers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 pm

amyamy wrote:I can relate to OP although very seldom do I find a guy who is not into sports.

I had a chat with an old guy some years ago. He's into tennis (watching, not playing - he's not the sporty type and I cannot imagine him being good at it). I was not very polished. I told him that I was not interested and he said 'oh that's no good.' I knew immediately that he did not like me.

Though I don't like tennis, I like yoga, swimming..... I just don't like ball games.

Well there goes your social life.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:41 pm

UT is a behemoth college sports program. They play in the Big 12, and tend to be very good at the two NCAA sports that matter (football and basketball), with an emphasis on football. The last two years have been down years for them in football, but Mack Brown (head coach) is a great recruiter and, well, it's UT. They'll be good/great again, soon. The Red River Rivalry (football game/rivalry with Oklahoma) is a big deal.

Texas A&M is their top in-state rival, and also tends to be competitive (though not to the level of UT) in football and basketball. A&M played in the Big 12, but is switching to the SEC, thus (presumably) ending a long and storied rivalry with UT. A&M had great expectations entering the last football season, but blew a bunch of fourth-quarter leads and ended at 6-6. They fired their coach.

Otherwise, there's Texas Tech. They're "meh." And there's SMU, who is also lost in the shadows of the larger schools, but is moving from Conference USA to the Big East in the Big East's futile attempt to remain a viable conference.

NFL: there's the Dallas Cowboys; they're a big deal. Tony Romo is their quarterback, and is a very polarizing figure. He gets a lot of media attention, but generally has pretty inconsistent play. Jerry Jones is their owner, and tends to be pretty outspoken.

There's also the Houston Texans. They've sucked for much/all of their relatively short existence, but they're getting much better. They're a playoff team this year, but half their team is injured, so don't expect much.

NBA: The San Antonio Spurs were very good for a long time, but are showing their age. Their big star is Tim Duncan, who has the personality of a grapefruit.

There's the Houston Rockets, who are rebuilding. They had Yao Ming (giant Chinese man), but he retired.

There's the Dallas Mavericks, who are the defending NBA champs (they defeated the Miami Heat - with Lebron/Dwayne Wade/Bosh - in the finals). Their big star is forward Dirk Nowitzki. They just acquired Lamar Odom (who is married to one of those Kardashians) from the LA Lakers, after the Lakers botched (/the league conspired against them) an attempt to package Odom in a trade for another player (Chris Paul of the Hornets, who was just traded to the LA Clippers).

Otherwise, there's baseball. The Rangers are a very good team, and have appeared in the last two World Series (both of which they lost). Their manager is Ron Washington, who tends to speak his mind. And there's the Houston Astros, who suck/are rebuilding. They're moving from the National League to the American League.

High school football also tends to be huge in the state, and many top recruits come from Texas.

So there you go; that should give you a solid start, so at least you won't be clueless if the topic arises. Of course, this is assuming they want to talk about Texas sports.

Anyway, HTH. It certaintly helped me procrastinate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:42 pm

beachbum wrote:UT is a behemoth college sports program. They play in the Big 12, and tend to be very good at the two NCAA sports that matter (football and basketball), with an emphasis on football. The last two years have been down years for them in football, but Mack Brown (head coach) is a great recruiter and, well, it's UT. They'll be good/great again, soon. The Red River Rivalry (football game/rivalry with Oklahoma) is a big deal.

Texas A&M is their top in-state rival, and also tends to be competitive (though not to the level of UT) in football and basketball. A&M played in the Big 12, but is switching to the SEC, thus (presumably) ending a long and storied rivalry with UT. A&M had great expectations entering the last football season, but blew a bunch of fourth-quarter leads and ended at 6-6. They fired their coach.

Otherwise, there's Texas Tech. They're "meh." And there's SMU, who is also lost in the shadows of the larger schools, but is moving from Conference USA to the Big East in the Big East's futile attempt to remain a viable conference.

NFL: there's the Dallas Cowboys; they're a big deal. Tony Romo is their quarterback, and is a very polarizing figure. He gets a lot of media attention, but generally has pretty inconsistent play. Jerry Jones is their owner, and tends to be pretty outspoken.

There's also the Houston Texans. They've sucked for much/all of their relatively short existence, but they're getting much better. They're a playoff team this year, but half their team is injured, so don't expect much.

NBA: The San Antonio Spurs were very good for a long time, but are showing their age. Their big star is Tim Duncan, who has the personality of a grapefruit.

There's the Houston Rockets, who are rebuilding. They had Yao Ming (giant Chinese man), but he retired.

There's the Dallas Mavericks, who are the defending NBA champs (they defeated the Miami Heat - with Lebron/Dwayne Wade/Bosh - in the finals). Their big star is forward Dirk Nowitzki. They just acquired Lamar Odom (who is married to one of those Kardashians) from the LA Lakers, after the Lakers botched (/the league conspired against them) an attempt to package Odom in a trade for another player (Chris Paul of the Hornets, who was just traded to the LA Clippers).

Otherwise, there's baseball. The Rangers are a very good team, and have appeared in the last two World Series (both of which they lost). Their manager is Ron Washington, who tends to speak his mind. And there's the Houston Astros, who suck/are rebuilding. They're moving from the National League to the American League.

High school football also tends to be huge in the state, and many top recruits come from Texas.

So there you go; that should give you a solid start, so at least you won't be clueless if the topic arises. Of course, this is assuming they want to talk about Texas sports.

K, now this is amazing.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K, now this is amazing.

No, this is what happens when I promise the gf that I'll get around to cleaning the bathroom.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
amyamy wrote:I can relate to OP although very seldom do I find a guy who is not into sports.

I am not very sociable but not aspie either.

I had back surgery when I was a child. So even though i would like to be good at all kinds of sports certain sports are more suitable to me. I try not to tell someone I've just met about my back injury years ago, though.

amyamy

Postby amyamy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 pm

above is me.

edit: I like the sports analogy.

Just fake an interest in what they like....

I don't hold a lack of passion for any type of sports against anyone (although I think people who dislike animals tend to be assholes)

You just can't expect people to be understanding and do not judge you for your likes and dislikes.
Last edited by amyamy on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not very sociable but not aspie either.

I had back surgery when I was a child. So even though i would like to be good at all kinds of sports certain sports are more suitable to me. I try not to tell someone I've just met about my back injury years ago, though.

LOL. You missed the reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHDcD_xhwAo

(see the ending 2:17)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:22 pm

As someone who did screening interviewers and callbacks with Dallas firms, here is the cheat sheet you need for the NBA and NFL (someone else will need to help you with baseball+college football):

NBA- Mavs won championship last year. Huge deal, since first championship for the Mavs. If you're a mavs fan you have to love Dirk, otherwise you are a terrible human being. Lockout threatened to end NBA season but it ended and season starts Christmas day with a compact season. Mavs lost Tyson Chander+others in free agency this offseason b/c management wants to go after Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, and Chris Paul next summer (though Chris Paul is no longer an option since he got traded to Clippers and agreed to pick up his player option, so he'll be a clipper for at least the next 2 seasons).

NFL- Cowboys somehow ended up in first place in the division at the end of november. Then have started their typical choke job that happens every December. Lost two in a row now, but still have a very good chance of finishing over the Giants (and thus going to the playoffs) since Giants have a harder remaining schedule.

Sports really aren't necessary to doing well in interviews in Texas--they usually didn't come up for me. But it helps to talk a little bit about it on a superficial level if possible and then say, "but I really don't know too much about ____."

ETA: Just noticed the longer breakdown, which was awesome. Hope mine adds a little to it.

Notor

Postby Notor » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Kimberly wrote:You should learn the skill of mirroring for questions that get difficult. The thing you have to always keep in mind is that a question from an interviewer/evaluator is ALWAYS a reflection of what is important/prioritized to them. So, when you get in a situation where they ask a question you know NOTHING about, you mirror back and let THEM talk about it... studies show that people respond VERY FAVORABLY to this in general. So, for examples:

Ans: Up until now, I mostly study. What types of stuff are fun to do around here?

The key to this method is that you then REALLY HAVE TO LISTEN. Know that you are hearing the answer to what matters to them. Make them feel important, respected, and that their opinion of whatever they answer great and totally important to you too!

Just one person's method. Hope it helps. I have never interviewed for something I didn't get an offer for. Just don't be a conversation killer!

That is really a lame way to have a conversation. I can't see an interviewer who is trying to assess how you fit into the culture of a particular geographic area looking on you kindly if you just respond to their questions with questions.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Notor wrote:That is really a lame way to have a conversation. I can't see an interviewer who is trying to assess how you fit into the culture of a particular geographic area looking on you kindly if you just respond to their questions with questions.

Hmm, I have trouble sometimes responding. What do you normally do? :P

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Notor wrote:That is really a lame way to have a conversation. I can't see an interviewer who is trying to assess how you fit into the culture of a particular geographic area looking on you kindly if you just respond to their questions with questions.

I think it could work... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URtQAa3Y-ns

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:48 pm

texas sports-

"texas a&m (aTm) can't even cut it in the Big 12, how do they expect to make it in the SEC? (Banter about BCS and SEC love)"

"Dirk is sooooo german and sooooo good at BBall. Oh god we lost Tyson Chandler and JJ Barea! Hope the team can cut it without them! They were the glue that kept the team together!"

"UT's quarterbacks suck and Baylor (BAYLOR!) has RG3!! WTF?!?"

"Romo sucks in December. America's team needs a more consistent QB. But he's good. We'll just wait it out another season...."

And what do you expect to spend your Texas biglaw money on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Notor wrote:
Kimberly wrote:You should learn the skill of mirroring for questions that get difficult. The thing you have to always keep in mind is that a question from an interviewer/evaluator is ALWAYS a reflection of what is important/prioritized to them. So, when you get in a situation where they ask a question you know NOTHING about, you mirror back and let THEM talk about it... studies show that people respond VERY FAVORABLY to this in general. So, for examples:

That is really a lame way to have a conversation. I can't see an interviewer who is trying to assess how you fit into the culture of a particular geographic area looking on you kindly if you just respond to their questions with questions.

Also YOU OBVIOUSLY didn't read the part where she said she had studies.

Reading comp. fail.

Notor

Postby Notor » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Notor wrote:

Reading comp. fail.

Anonymous feature use fail

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:53 pm

beachbum wrote:UT is a behemoth college sports program. They play in the Big 12, and tend to be very good at the two NCAA sports that matter (football and basketball), with an emphasis on football. The last two years have been down years for them in football, but Mack Brown (head coach) is a great recruiter and, well, it's UT. They'll be good/great again, soon. The Red River Rivalry (football game/rivalry with Oklahoma) is a big deal.

Dallas Stars.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Notor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Notor wrote:

Reading comp. fail.

Anonymous feature use fail

I know how to use the anonymous feature thankyouverymuch.

You see.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:59 pm

I am a guy in Texas. I can't stand football, and most other sports.

It almost never came up in my interviews. I didn't have anything sports-related on my resume under "interests", which a lot seemed to key off of. I did have other stuff on there that is fairly unique, so they wanted to talk about that, which helped steer the conversation away from sports.

If they did talk about sports, I brought up the Stars, which effectively killed the topic in all but one, but he turned out to be a massive hockey fan, so we got along quite well.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:42 am

For all you sperglords on TLS, this is how you have an actual conversation.

Return to “Legal Employment”