No interest in sports?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No interest in sports?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:16 pm

I have a 1L SA interview in Texas and I'm concerned that I don't care for or know anything about sports (i'm a guy, which I guess is weird for Texas). I've heard local teams or sports in general often comes up as a way for associates to get to know you.

I don't have any huge interests. I'm way too lazy to fake liking sports by committing worthless facts to memory, but I don't want to blow a job at a place I'd like because I just couldn't connect with my interviewer on interests.

What other types of interests do people talk about in interviews in the Texas market?

Edit: For clarification, I know this post sounds EXTREMELY socially awkward and borders on flame-y, but I guess I'm just ignorant and perhaps slightly neurotic (lol).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Re: No interest in sports?

Postby kaiser » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Anything that is readily accessible. Movies can be another go to thing for that type of generic ice-breaking interests discussion. Sports is sort of a default, but you can easily divert the conversation to something like movies or TV.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:19 pm

You should bring up Rick Perry. They all love talking about him. Tell everyone how much you love him.

Just be yourself man. Although maybe that's not great advice. I was "just myself" and went 0/3 on callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Geist13 wrote:You should bring up Rick Perry. They all love talking about him. Tell everyone how much you love him.

Just be yourself man. Although maybe that's not great advice. I was "just myself" and went 0/3 on callbacks.

Haha I appreciate the advice nonetheless. Yeah, it's a funny thing balancing 'being yourself' with connecting in an interview. I mean if you're fake and you're not the personality they hired, then your real one won't fit in making you miserable, and I get that. But I guess I'm just worried this converation which is supposed to be the EASY part is going to make people think I'm weird, and had the convo been about something else it would've gone fine.

I don't think my dislike of sports is going to make me unhappy in my new workplace or seriously affect my relationships with my colleagues, but I'm just paranoid it will make a difference in my interview.

*end rant*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:26 pm

i hear you i hear you.

you really social awkward - you're just not interested in the type of things that most of them are.

memorizing meaningless facts is not that difficult - if their conversations are about the latest movies that would be even more difficult for you to catchup.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Well the jock-ish sports-oriented partners/associates probably won't like you if it comes up and you can't talk about it. It happens. It won't affect your offer, unless you say something dumb like "I don't see how people can watch [name of sport]. It's [offensive adjective]."

Or, in the alternative, BE A MAN and start watching sports. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:30 pm

It's true that sports is a big topic here. I know you want to be yourself, but even having a team you're 'loyal' to would be helpful. Best case scenario, they don't know anything about the team and move on to rambling about how the cowboys blew it again, worst, they bring up specific details and you tell them you've been working really hard at school and haven't been watching.

Other good 'Texas topics:' the weather, how hot it gets, how friendly everyone is (true or not), the recent droughts ending, your own state and how they think Texas is superior, how big Texas is, etc. lol.

Summary, you don't need to fake interest in sports, but you would come off a little weird by flat out saying something like, "I don't enjoy sports at all, sorry"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for the good advice guys.

I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. And in my experience, it makes the interview process just so hard sometimes when I have to be interviewed by jock-ish dudes. It never has made a difference AFTER the fact...it's always in the interview where stuff like this comes up.

I hope they read my resume and match associates/partners to me that match my interests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:42 pm

I only had one interview with a texas firm. After five minutes, we discussed pork v. beef barbeque, and the good barbeque joints around my school. Did not get a callback. My advice, go with beef barbeque if it comes up.

amyamy

Postby amyamy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:51 pm

it's so difficult when you have 'quirky' or 'unusual' interests.
I love animals and volunteering at shelters. Just watching and pattingthem gives me great fun. I imagine how annoying this would be to partners who don't have any passion in this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I only had one interview with a texas firm. After five minutes, we discussed pork v. beef barbeque, and the good barbeque joints around my school. Did not get a callback. My advice, go with beef barbeque if it comes up.

As a Texan, I WOULD ALWAYS GO WITH BEEF!

Pork (WTF?!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I only had one interview with a texas firm. After five minutes, we discussed pork v. beef barbeque, and the good barbeque joints around my school. Did not get a callback. My advice, go with beef barbeque if it comes up.

As a Texan, I WOULD ALWAYS GO WITH BEEF!

Pork (WTF?!)

Well, I did say that I love beef brisket and burnt ends, but you just can't beat pork ribs done right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 pm

did have some intervewiers start off by staying "did you catch the game last night" or "so you a yankees fan?" was also asked at a networking reception by a partner whether i play golf. me saying no to all these q's pretty much killed the conversation. while, its certainly not a ding if you cant talk sports, if the guy who comes in after you is able to rattle off sports statistics, im sure his interview marks will be higher.

there were other interviewers i connected with though. not everyone is a huge sports fan. mainly its those really old school partners who like to ask this.

amyamy

Postby amyamy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:14 pm

i'm glad that no one every talked about sports to me....

i think whether you are a guy or a girl makes a difference.

I just do not like spectator sports.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Do some mOck interviews --- you sound like you will have a tough time interviewing. You don't have to like sports, but why nOt have an opinion on the NBA lockOut or something... It's legal related? You should know the biggest part of callbacks is fit and making people like you. So, you might want to make sure your "annoyed" attitude about the fact that most people in tx likes sports does not show- if you want the job. You'll have to get over this eventually. Your entering a client driven business and you have to be able to socialize with all types of people, so start working on your social skills. It's part of the job description.

amyamy

Postby amyamy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:18 pm

why is OP, who dislikes something that most texas people like, looking for a firm job in texas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:23 pm

amyamy wrote:why is OP, who dislikes something that most texas people like, looking for a firm job in texas?

OP here. I like Texas and my friends and family are there. I'm not socially awkward (if I don't say so myself, lol), but I just worry connecting with male interviewers, particularly about sports things.

There is more to life in Texas than sports, lol.

Edit: (I'm a male btw)

Also, I'm not annoyed at people liking sports--I think that's a ridiculous presumption, lol. My whole point is that people should like whatever they are interested in. I'm annoyed that my being a male automatically means I should have an interest in sports, when ultimately this wouldn't make a difference if I was a female.

Also, I've gone through the ibanker and consulting interviews in college and those went well (but they were in NYC). The 'bros' and I got along great. We weren't best friends, but there are certainly tons of things to connect on besides sports. My original worry though, is that if these guys had interviewed me, I don't think they would've hired me even though we in reality got along fantastically in the workplace.

By this logic, it seems you guys have socratically showed me that I should just let things go the way they go and it'll be fine.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
amyamy wrote:why is OP, who dislikes something that most texas people like, looking for a firm job in texas?

OP here. I like Texas and my friends and family are there. I'm not socially awkward (if I don't say so myself, lol), but I just worry connecting with male interviewers, particularly about sports things.

There is more to life in Texas than sports, lol.

So you're a woman, automatic boost to begin with. If you're good looking, double boost. Just know that the dallas cowboys are a football team and say jason garret sucks. If it's in houston, say you hope the texans can keep winning w/o matt schaub. I don't think any 50 year old man expects a girl to come in and bs sports for 20 minutes.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:36 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. .

I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying (read: being discriminated against because my interests don't match my gender)... not the fact that most heterosexual males like sports.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the good advice guys.

I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. And in my experience, it makes the interview process just so hard sometimes when I have to be interviewed by jock-ish dudes.

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I like Texas and my friends and family are there. I'm not socially awkward (if I don't say so myself, lol), but I just worry connecting with male interviewers, particularly about sports things.

Your open-mindedness and tolerance are showing.

Having gone through the OCI process in Texas:

1. Texas female lawyers are just as likely to bring up football as male lawyers. This is especially true for any female lawyer with a connection to an SEC school. It seemed to me that every female associate was bragging about winning her fantasy football league or March Madness pool. Hell, one female partner had an awesome theory about how Art Briles is the ultimate developer of quarterback talent (going back to his Stephenville days) and predicted that RG3 would win the Heisman this year. More impressive was the fact that she had no connections to Baylor and was making an objective prediction. I know this anecdote doesn't mean much to you, but trust me, making that prediction before the CFB season is impressive.

2. When you live in the state of Texas you live in the state of football. When in Rome ....

3. 50/50 on whether sports come up in individual interviews. You're in luck that the college football season is basically over and high school playoffs will be over by the time you interview (yes, I've seen Texas high school football come up in interviews and group settings). If you find yourself hustling for a Texas position at OCI next fall, expect sports to come up. Hope springs eternal in late August and football season is just about to start off. It inevitably comes up. Also, expect sports to come up in group settings like receptions and dinners.

Good luck!

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i'm a guy, which I guess is weird for Texas

Hmmm...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the good advice guys.

I find the heteronormativity and gender-bias annoying. And in my experience, it makes the interview process just so hard sometimes when I have to be interviewed by jock-ish dudes.

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I like Texas and my friends and family are there. I'm not socially awkward (if I don't say so myself, lol), but I just worry connecting with male interviewers, particularly about sports things.

Your open-mindedness and tolerance are showing.

Having gone through the OCI process in Texas:

1. Texas female lawyers are just as likely to bring up football as male lawyers. This is especially true for any female lawyer with a connection to an SEC school. It seemed to me that every female associate was bragging about winning her fantasy football league or March Madness pool. Hell, one female partner had an awesome theory about how Art Briles is the ultimate developer of quarterback talent (going back to his Stephenville days) and predicted that RG3 would win the Heisman this year. More impressive was the fact that she had no connections to Baylor and was making an objective prediction. I know this anecdote doesn't mean much to you, but trust me, making that prediction before the CFB season is impressive.

2. When you live in the state of Texas you live in the state of football. When in Rome ....

3. 50/50 on whether sports come up in individual interviews. You're in luck that the college football season is basically over and high school playoffs will be over by the time you interview (yes, I've seen Texas high school football come up in interviews and group settings). If you find yourself hustling for a Texas position at OCI next fall, expect sports to come up. Hope springs eternal in late August and football season is just about to start off. It inevitably comes up. Also, expect sports to come up in group settings like receptions and dinners.

Good luck!

Permian Panthers are going all the way this year.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:11 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i'm a guy, which I guess is weird for Texas

Hmmm...

:lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:21 pm

LOL

OP here.

Sorry if I offended any ladies out there by implying that women don't like football (esp. in Texas!), lol, especially considering the context of this post. I think I"m just venting my frustration at this point about how if I was a female it wouldn't have been a problem, lol.

But aside from my complaint-fest, thanks for the tips on how to handle this in the interview guys and for your insights about your OCI experiences in Texas.

Return to “Legal Employment”