Background check question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Background check question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:52 pm

I am filling out a background check form for a position with a prosecutors's office and a question asks for any past criminal convictions. Should I disclose a juvenile violation which has been sealed? I believe even sealed records can be obtained through the FBI. Thanks for the responses.

Anonymous User

Re: Background check question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:00 pm

No, don't list anything.
If they want to go out of their way to check your profile, that's up to them.
The thing is, they can't really confront you about it because the record is legally sealed.
Also, in this situation your honesty is not going to give you a boost in the application process.
They might think you're kind of..... silly... for listing a juvenile record.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:04 pm

^ This is ridiculous. You absolute don't want to appear to be hiding anything during these background checks, especially if it's a government position. FWIW, I work at a place where I had to get a government clearance. I disclosed something about myself that would not have been found in any records that people outside the company said was a sure way to lose my job. Not so. The DOJ appreciated my honesty and I got the clearance.

Just disclose. It's always in your best interest to be totally honest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:01 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:^ This is ridiculous. You absolute don't want to appear to be hiding anything during these background checks, especially if it's a government position. FWIW, I work at a place where I had to get a government clearance. I disclosed something about myself that would not have been found in any records that people outside the company said was a sure way to lose my job. Not so. The DOJ appreciated my honesty and I got the clearance.

Just disclose. It's always in your best interest to be totally honest.
I'm leaning in this direction - it's a very minor violation and I can't imagine it effecting my candidacy in any significant manner. On the other hand, if they find out that I have a violation which I didn't disclose, that could look considerably worse.

Matthewnym

New

Post by Matthewnym » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:34 pm

First response is recklessly terrible advice. I worked at a USAO office, and after going through the process, got some inside perspective. If you fail to disclose ANYTHING that they ask for, no matter how minor, that alone is enough to fail the background check in nearly all circumstances. Failure to disclose even possibly relevant information is relevant to your professional integrity as a lawyer, and the government simply doesn't like it. If you are upfront and honest, it actually takes a reasonably serious offense to fail background check.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, don't list anything.
The thing is, they can't really confront you about it because the record is legally sealed.
Also, in this situation your honesty is not going to give you a boost in the application process.

This is terrible advice. No wonder you posted is ananymously.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:09 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

To be fair, trying to keep someone unemployed is really taking trolling to a whole new level. I think the anonymous poster deserves some credit for that, at least.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 am

Renzo wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

To be fair, trying to keep someone unemployed is really taking trolling to a whole new level. I think the anonymous poster deserves some credit for that, at least.

True ... In fairness, this could land the op in some serious trouble -- possibly even hold up his bar admission... Now that's trolling...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”