SA interview late in the game

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA interview late in the game

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 am

As the title suggests, I have a straight-to-callback interview at a V50 in a major market for a SA. I struck out at OCI and have been struggling to get unpaid government work. When I go in the interview, how do I explain why they should hire me when clearly all of their competitors have rejected me or else I wouldn't be there in front of them now. The "what other options are you considering?" (none) or "do you have any deadlines we need to know about?" (nope, haven't ever had one) or "so why are you interested in us in particular?" (because you pay money, do the sort of work I want to do after graduation and no one else will talk to me) series of questions is going to be hard to answer.

Anonymous User

Re: SA interview late in the game

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:As the title suggests, I have a straight-to-callback interview at a V50 in a major market for a SA. I struck out at OCI and have been struggling to get unpaid government work. When I go in the interview, how do I explain why they should hire me when clearly all of their competitors have rejected me or else I wouldn't be there in front of them now. The "what other options are you considering?" (none) or "do you have any deadlines we need to know about?" (nope, haven't ever had one) or "so why are you interested in us in particular?" (because you pay money, do the sort of work I want to do after graduation and no one else will talk to me) series of questions is going to be hard to answer.

You have to remember something. When a firm calls you back, it's because they saw something in your application that they liked. This means that, grades/extracurriculars/work experience all got you in, and they're good enough for the firm. Even though it's late in the game, they wouldn't call you back just to mess with you, and they're very seriously interested in hiring you.

The point is, now that you have the callback, the firm is looking a lot more at whether you fit in with their culture than anything else. So as hard as it might be, you have to put aside all the rejections and feelings of lack of self worth that you've been going through over the past few months. On the day of your callback, you must be confident, engaged, and just have a great presence generally. If you let the fact that you struck out thus far continue to get to you, the firm will sense your lack of confidence immediately and I can guarantee that you will not get hired.

To answer your questions, its fairly unlikely that the firm is going to want to know in detail what other options you are pursuing. If you accept the late callback at all, I'm sure they are aware that you are currently still looking for employment. So if they ask, just tell them the truth about what you are pursuing. What you should NOT do is make it seem like you are uninterested in the jobs you are looking at, because you'll seem either whiny or desperate.

The worst thing you can do is take the attitude you have conveyed in this post to that interview. Like I said, if you do that, I can guarantee you they won't hire you. I understand how hard that is to do considering what you have riding on this. Believe me, I understand quite well what this interview means to you. But it's absolutely essential you listen to this advice. When you go in, you MUST be personable and confident. Remember, the firm already knows they want you based on your resume; all you have to do is convince them that they were right in the first place. If you do that, you'll give them every reason to hire you, and it will absolutely give you your best chance to make it in.

Best of luck to you

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Congrats! I had some late CBs (nothing like this, though), but they didn't pan out.

Everyone there knows the answer to questions #1 and #2, so I'd just acknowledge it and carefully talk about your backup 'options' (i.e., the places to which you're now applying). I'd suggest telling them that your job search focus continues to be (1) in the geographic market the V50 is in, and (2) in the practice group you're applying for with the V50, or at least a practice group the V50 has. That's not to say you can't talk about applying for criminal prosecution/PD work (I personally am), just obviously be cognizant of the image you're projecting.

Think up a good answer to question #3: prep like hell for the CB, and if you are applying for a specific practice area then be enthusiastic as hell over it. Consider calling a loyal alumnus from your LS at the firm and asking for favors or advice about what their needs are (this probably won't do anything, but it's not like you're too busy prepping for other CBs to do it).

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:As the title suggests, I have a straight-to-callback interview at a V50 in a major market for a SA. I struck out at OCI and have been struggling to get unpaid government work. When I go in the interview, how do I explain why they should hire me when clearly all of their competitors have rejected me or else I wouldn't be there in front of them now. The "what other options are you considering?" (none) or "do you have any deadlines we need to know about?" (nope, haven't ever had one) or "so why are you interested in us in particular?" (because you pay money, do the sort of work I want to do after graduation and no one else will talk to me) series of questions is going to be hard to answer.

If you actually want a firm job, you need to get all this stuff out of your mind and start believing in what you're selling. The cynical negative stuff (bolded) is toxic and comes through whether you mean for it to or not. Just saying. Look over your entire resume, and ask yourself questions about each line. Get other people to ask you questions about each line. Think of solid answers to anything you could be asked. Do a mock interview. In fact, do 5 mock interviews. Buy a new suit. Get an expensive haircut. This might be your last shot to get on the SA-->FT offer train...pull out all the stops.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 am

The questions you should be wondering about are things like "how could they not hire you, given the X that you bring to the firm." As said above, callback stage is all about fit and confidence goes a long way. Forget about your negatives and focus on the positives. They don't want to hire you because you are a hot commodity and coveted by their competition. If they hire you, it's because they think you'd be good for their firm. Just prepare by learning everything you can about the firm, the office, and the attorneys interviewing you and stay loose and confident. The only reason your concerns will matter is if you let them creep into your state of mind.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:44 am

Great advice in this thread. Good luck OP.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 am

MrKappus wrote:

If you actually want a firm job, you need to get all this stuff out of your mind and start believing in what you're selling. The cynical negative stuff (bolded) is toxic and comes through whether you mean for it to or not. Just saying. Look over your entire resume, and ask yourself questions about each line. Get other people to ask you questions about each line. Think of solid answers to anything you could be asked. Do a mock interview. In fact, do 5 mock interviews. Buy a new suit. Get an expensive haircut. This might be your last shot to get on the SA-->FT offer train...pull out all the stops.

^^^^ ALL OF THIS!!!!

Don't be an ass about it, but play up your strengths and your interest in the firm. Particularly focus on location, as that is a big concern for firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:37 am

I was in a similar situation and I ended up getting an offer from my late cb.

Here is my advice:

- Ask your career services to call the firms that rejected you and ask for feedback. This sounds awkward, but they do it all the time. Once I knew what I was doing wrong, it was much easier to improve my approach.

- Don't worry about them asking you why you are still looking, etc. They know it is late in the game. Just be extremely enthusiastic about their firm. Talk about why you think their firm is such a great fit and why you are so thrilled to be interviewing with them.

- Do a mock interview.

- Contact an alum from your school who works at the firm. But do your research about the firm / have great qs before you talk to them. If you can reach out and impress someone, it is a big +.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was in a similar situation and I ended up getting an offer from my late cb.

Here is my advice:

- Ask your career services to call the firms that rejected you and ask for feedback. This sounds awkward, but they do it all the time. Once I knew what I was doing wrong, it was much easier to improve my approach.

- Don't worry about them asking you why you are still looking, etc. They know it is late in the game. Just be extremely enthusiastic about their firm. Talk about why you think their firm is such a great fit and why you are so thrilled to be interviewing with them.

- Do a mock interview.

- Contact an alum from your school who works at the firm. But do your research about the firm / have great qs before you talk to them. If you can reach out and impress someone, it is a big +.

OP here

1. Did that already. They said I came across as too desperate and eager to work for them. I've been trying to tweak down my intensity.

2. Ok. It is a great fit, other then they are the highest ranked firm I've interviewed with.

3. Done.

4. Also done, but no alums in this particular group of the firm.

Thanks.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:05 pm

You could always try the D.E.N.N.I.S. system.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:31 pm

MrKappus wrote:You could always try the D.E.N.N.I.S. system.

D - Demonstrate Your Value!!!!!!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was in a similar situation and I ended up getting an offer from my late cb.

Here is my advice:

- Do a mock interview.

OP here

1. Did that already. They said I came across as too desperate and eager to work for them. I've been trying to tweak down my intensity.

2. Ok. It is a great fit, other then they are the highest ranked firm I've interviewed with.

3. Done.

4. Also done, but no alums in this particular group of the firm.

Thanks.

a callback this late is serious and they've already made a decision on you based on your records, they know the longer they take to make offers, the lower chances of them finding a good candidate. nail down their fit. even if you have to mold yourself into their fit. reach out to career services for a list of current students and alumni who have worked for them and get a hold in touch with them. you want to hear why they think their firm is different, and go that route.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:25 pm

I went in, did the interview and got the most amazing Christmas present late this week when they called to offer me the job. Accepted and now relaxing for the holidays. Have hope, there are still some opportunities out there if you keep your head up. Thanks for the advice.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I went in, did the interview and got the most amazing Christmas present late this week when they called to offer me the job. Accepted and now relaxing for the holidays. Have hope, there are still some opportunities out there if you keep your head up. Thanks for the advice.

Congrats. I love seeing a thread go full-circle.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I went in, did the interview and got the most amazing Christmas present late this week when they called to offer me the job. Accepted and now relaxing for the holidays. Have hope, there are still some opportunities out there if you keep your head up. Thanks for the advice.

Truly great news. Congratulations!

Return to “Legal Employment”