delaying entry into biglaw after law school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

delaying entry into biglaw after law school

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:12 pm

i'm currently a 2L who, for personal reasons, wants to delay entry into biglaw as long as possible, although i do have a summer offer which i hope will turn into a permanent offer. the $$ is not an issue, but my grades are nowhere near good enough to land a federal clerkship. are there other pre-biglaw things i should consider? state clerkship, even if just a lower court? community service fellowship?

Sup Kid

Re: delaying entry into biglaw after law school

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i'm currently a 2L who, for personal reasons, wants to delay entry into biglaw as long as possible, although i do have a summer offer which i hope will turn into a permanent offer. the $$ is not an issue, but my grades are nowhere near good enough to land a federal clerkship. are there other pre-biglaw things i should consider? state clerkship, even if just a lower court? community service fellowship?

Most firms won't give you a bonus or class year credit for non-federal/state supreme court clerkships. If you really want to do a clerkship though, you can ask your firm if the job offer is still valid if you do a state trial/appellate clerkship (my guess is that it's a pretty unique situation, and it'll depend on the individual firm), knowing that you won't receive a bonus or an accrued class year. That said, know that until you start working, there is always the chance that the firm can defer you/rescind the offer, especially if the economy takes another hit. Make sure your "personal reasons" for delaying are that important, as you're really taking on a lot of risk by not just taking the job when you're normally supposed to.

Renzo

Re: delaying entry into biglaw after law school

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:57 pm

As a general proposition, what you are contemplating is impossible. Biglaw is a conveyor belt, and you are expected to proceed in lockstep fashion with your class. And, if you step off the treadmill, there's pretty much no getting back on.

All that said, the only people who can really answer this for you are the partners at your firm, since they are who you need to convince that whatever you are going to do is worth them allowing you to defer your start date. But, before you ask, you better have a really convincing reason why letting you join the firm a year late is in their best interests. The natural assumption will be both that you don't really want to work there. And, it would be just as easy for the firm to hire someone a class behind you who showed more enthusiasm as it would be for them to hold a spot for you.

Return to “Legal Employment”