fed. magistrate judge clerkship ---> higher level clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

fed. magistrate judge clerkship ---> higher level clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:12 am

semi-specific question:

im graduating this may and going to be clerking for a year (magistrate judge in a respected district/big city). I come from a regional lower-tier school, but I'm top 1-2% in my class. I'm happy to be clerking for a magistrate judge, but I think a district court clerkship would obviously be more helpful in terms of making myself marketable, so I'm hoping to follow with that from 2013-2014. I plan to apply to all of the district and circuit judges in that city that accept applications, but when is the best time to start doing that? Is now too early, even though I haven't and won't begin with the magistrate judge until Fall? I want to maximize my chances by getting in early before the 3Ls can apply but I also don't want to apply during a time when no one really looks at applications.

Anybody have experience/advice with parlaying 1 clerkship to another?

Anonymous User

Re: fed. magistrate judge clerkship ---> higher level clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:35 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Apply in April; now is too early.

this April or the april during my clerkship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm

I am currently clerking for a magistrate judge and have a district court clerkship lined up for next year. I applied for DC clerkships the April before my magistrate clerkship began (so this April for you, as the poster above recommends). I was hired in May. In my circuit (2/9/DC), most COA judges have already hired clerks for 2013, so if you are interested in magistrate -> COA, I would apply immediately. Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm actually pretty much in the same situation. Had hoped to get a district court clerkship, landed a magistrate one instead, albeit luckily in SDNY. Some people have said that this is prestigious enough since its SDNY, but ideally I want to get a SDNY/EDNY district judge for the year after or even 2d circuit unless that's totally out of reach. Anyone know the stats on any of those judges or what my chances might be?

Heres my info:
3L at a (Northeast) non-T14
3.9 GPA
Top 5%
Law Review, Moot Court

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm actually pretty much in the same situation. Had hoped to get a district court clerkship, landed a magistrate one instead, albeit luckily in SDNY. Some people have said that this is prestigious enough since its SDNY, but ideally I want to get a SDNY/EDNY district judge for the year after or even 2d circuit unless that's totally out of reach. Anyone know the stats on any of those judges or what my chances might be?

Heres my info:
3.9 GPA
Top 5%
Law Review, Moot Court

You're going to have to give more than non T-14, Northeast. BU/BC are not UConn; UConn isn't Suffolk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm actually pretty much in the same situation. Had hoped to get a district court clerkship, landed a magistrate one instead, albeit luckily in SDNY. Some people have said that this is prestigious enough since its SDNY, but ideally I want to get a SDNY/EDNY district judge for the year after or even 2d circuit unless that's totally out of reach. Anyone know the stats on any of those judges or what my chances might be?

Heres my info:
3.9 GPA
Top 5%
Law Review, Moot Court

You're going to have to give more than non T-14, Northeast. BU/BC are not UConn; UConn isn't Suffolk.

St. John's

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

Heres my info:
3.9 GPA
Top 5%
Law Review, Moot Court

St. John's

My sense is, and GTL is free to correct me on this, that it will be tough to get into the 2nd Cir. from St. John's period; it's a pretty HYSCCN packed circuit. Judge Richard Wesley might be an option and some of the Senior judges might be up for it. GTL has said that being in the top five students (as opposed to 5%) can be really helpful so if you're in there, it's doable.

From talking to other clerks, another option is if the magistrate has a relationship with any of the D. Ct. judges, that can be really helpful; with the magistrates name on your resume it puts you in. If they're in the same courthouse, you can try network your way in with clerks. Just be honest about it and don't try to kiss up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:07 am

St. John's - I call bull shit on this poster - I go to St. John's, and the St. John's Law Review does not allow its members to participate on the Moot Court team.

jkech

Postby jkech » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Coming from a magistrate judge, you probably have more of a shot at the District Court, especially if your judge is friendly with any of the district judges. The experience will put you in a good spot, but it also might play both ways, if say, your judge is not viewed really positively by the judge to whom you're applying. I would apply like they said in April or so, before the clerkship starts -- because who knows, your judge may have an in with 10 judges and be able to place you with one easily, but he also may not lift a finger to help you. Judges are fickle.

Another idea is -- and GTL can correct me if this wouldn't be appropriate -- to call up some of the judges in the city where you're clerking and to whom you applied for this year and tell them that you'll be clerking next year for such and such judge and that you had applied to them but would like to be considered for the following year. Tell them you can send along an updated resume if they're looking now, or ask them when the best time to reapply would be when they are ready to start looking at applications for that year.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Strikes me that you should start working, build a bit of a rapport with your judge, and then ask him or her if their previous clerks have done this (surely some have). I imagine they could be of more assistance than TLS.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:06 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
SBL wrote:Strikes me that you should start working, build a bit of a rapport with your judge, and then ask him or her if their previous clerks have done this (surely some have). I imagine they could be of more assistance than TLS.

This might work, but it also might be very awkward/ineffective. I know my judge would not have been very receptive to the idea, and not because s/he is not a helpful person. It may be the case that the judge prefers to see your work as his/her clerk before getting involved on your behalf.

Well that's what I meant - work with the guy for lost enough that he knows you're good at/devoted to the job, then bring it up.

I imagine the judge would want to know what the guy's doing the year after his clerkship anyway, and from what I hear judges are usually happy to help their clerks take the next step.

Return to “Legal Employment”