Keeping in touch

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawIdiot86

Keeping in touch

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:43 pm

I've had a number of interviews where I hit it off with the recruiting personnel but then didn't get the job because of performance on the final round or they filled their class or whatever. A couple of the recruiters asked me to add them on LinkedIn and stay in touch after graduation as they liked me and wanted to try to help even if it wasn't in their organization. I've added them to LinkedIn, but how does one "stay in touch" with a recruiter?

jdwishes

Re: Keeping in touch

Postby jdwishes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Send an email asking the one who said they "wanted to try to help" out to lunch. Tell them it was great meeting them, you enjoyed learning about their Firm, and would love the opportunity to discuss how they developed their career.

LawIdiot86 wrote:I've had a number of interviews where I hit it off with the recruiting personnel but then didn't get the job because of performance on the final round or they filled their class or whatever. A couple of the recruiters asked me to add them on LinkedIn and stay in touch after graduation as they liked me and wanted to try to help even if it wasn't in their organization. I've added them to LinkedIn, but how does one "stay in touch" with a recruiter?

lawfirmrecruiter

Re: Keeping in touch

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:02 pm

jdwishes wrote:Send an email asking the one who said they "wanted to try to help" out to lunch. Tell them it was great meeting them, you enjoyed learning about their Firm, and would love the opportunity to discuss how they developed their career.

LawIdiot86 wrote:I've had a number of interviews where I hit it off with the recruiting personnel but then didn't get the job because of performance on the final round or they filled their class or whatever. A couple of the recruiters asked me to add them on LinkedIn and stay in touch after graduation as they liked me and wanted to try to help even if it wasn't in their organization. I've added them to LinkedIn, but how does one "stay in touch" with a recruiter?

If they told you to stay in touch, you should feel free to send them updates about what you are doing. Not every week or even month, but when something interesting or new has happened in your life. If you have a new accomplishment, update your resume and send it to them. If you just moved, send updated address information. Each time, reiterate your continued interest in their firm but don't push.

Return to “Legal Employment”