psychologically dealing with it

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

psychologically dealing with it

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 pm

so i'm going to finish in the median at a t 30. this is just what is going to happen, this is what i can get from my working, i'm not the most efficient or brightest and i can live with that.

i'll probably get a job, a good one, through family connections and i don't know how to psychologically deal with that.

obviously i know i should be thankful, but how the fuck do you deal with that?

I'm not entirely without self confidence, I know grades don't define my entire existence, but i can't help but feel shitty about this.

kalvano

Re: psychologically dealing with it

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:39 pm

How the fuck do you deal with what, having a job? What is there to "deal" with? You've got a JD and are employed. What more do you need?

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 pm

The OP seems to want to know how to maintain a feeling of self-worth because his success will be from something other than his own ability, merit, or hard work.

This I can't answer. Plenty of people seem to do it, though.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Here's how you deal with it. Give your job to me. I go to a higher ranked school, am on law review, have better grades and will give everything I've got in whatever job I can get. If you give it to me, you won't have to deal with it anymore, so its a win-win.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:47 pm

flame? quit complaining and take the job.. once you get there your work defines your ability and they dont give a crap about grades

judging by this post though it seems like you have a case of "i need to feel like a special snowflake syndrome" and you probably wont get this type of attention whether you do or dont get a job through family connections

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:25 pm

i thought this was going to be about dealing with the pressure of maintaining your grades through 2L year so that you don't get no-offered or maybe about dealing with the stress of not having a job at all. those are situations i can understanding having psychological difficulties over....your situation not so much.

honestly it sounds like you need therapy
Last edited by somewhatwayward on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:29 pm

I was born extremely handsome. I also have extremely high metabolism. I have a natural six pack that won't go away.

How do I psychologically deal with this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Don't be this guy from the other day...

Background:
Him: median grades, v30 offer from dad
Me: law review, struck out

Him: How do you feel about this final?
Me: I never went to class or paid attention when I did, hopefully this supplement I read carries me.
Him: Oh man, you'll probably do better than me, some other blah blah blah but I was biting my tongue on the verge of a 'go fuck yourself'

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so i'm going to finish in the median at a t 30. this is just what is going to happen, this is what i can get from my working, i'm not the most efficient or brightest and i can live with that.

i'll probably get a job, a good one, through family connections and i don't know how to psychologically deal with that.

I'm not entirely without self confidence, I know grades don't define my entire existence, but i can't help but feel shitty about this.

You have more serious problems than what you stated above. You should seriously think about doing some service work for the less fortunate, then you can see what real problems look like.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so i'm going to finish in the median at a t 30. this is just what is going to happen, this is what i can get from my working, i'm not the most efficient or brightest and i can live with that.

I'm pretty sure you...wait for it...

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't be this guy from the other day...

Background:

Me: I never went to class or paid attention when I did, hopefully this supplement I read carries me.
Him: Oh man, you'll probably do better than me, some other blah blah blah but I was biting my tongue on the verge of a 'go fuck yourself'

QFF**kThatGuy

EDIT: The guy the quoted anon referred to, not the OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 pm

OP never said how big or small his problem was relative to others - just because his problem could be something worse or more detrimental does not mean it is not worth talking about.

Also to the person marginalizing the problems associated with being born handsome etc... it is not perfect. being born that way does bring tremendous guilt when you're old enough to see less fortunate/good looking, most people automatically resenting you etc etc etc

OP - not lying or joking with you at all - I understand what you're talking about. Just work your ass off at this job, and perform. eventually you will feel sufficiently qualified to have the job

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:50 pm

The same way lawyers have been dealing with their problems for decades: substance abuse.

proverbs120

Postby proverbs120 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Look, you may have gotten help getting in the door, but I doubt that sort of "survivor's guilt" will stick with you long after you start work. It's not like your dad got you off the beach at Normandy.

Do good work at your job--I think this is the only thing that matters as far as being able to respect yourself. And hey, if it motivates you that you got a shot others wouldn't, good. Work hard because you know you got something others try very hard to get and don't. What's more, actually being a good lawyer is almost surely as hard or harder than getting the job in the first place. Success there will erase any doubts about your professional self-worth.

I honestly wish everybody weren't harping on you, OP. The more I start to read TLS, the more I start to realize how many of the comments come from incredibly sensitive folks, who really aren't interested in others' problems unless those problems fit a certain mold--i.e. those problems make them feel better about themselves. If someone comes in a breaks the reverie of shadenfreude, by saying something about how they enjoy law school, don't hate themselves, have a job they really want, etc--well, it's not pretty.

OP, congrats on the job. Don't look back.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Look on the bright side, nobody else at your T30 earned the right to be there instead of dying in some wartorn African nation. Them's the breaks.

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:The same way lawyers have been dealing with their problems for decades: substance abuse.

Mommy: I feel dumb again :/. Hold me.

Andy5612

Postby Andy5612 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:26 am

WTF is this fuckery?

How to psychologically deal with the fact that you will get a decent job in a terrible market? When thousands of similarly qualified lawyers are unemployed?

How about shut the hell up and be grateful? Help out others when you can.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:30 am

Andy5612 wrote:WTF is this fuckery?

How to psychologically deal with the fact that you will get a decent job in a terrible market? When thousands of similarly qualified lawyers are unemployed?

solid second post!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:30 am

Turn down the job and take what you would have gotten, or take the job and blend in with the other 25% of the ppl you'll be summering with who are in the same shoes as you.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:39 am

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 am

lsatbobby wrote:
thesealocust wrote:The same way lawyers have been dealing with their problems for decades: substance abuse.

Mommy: I feel dumb again :/. Hold me.

Shhh. There there. There there.

Notor

Postby Notor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:06 am

Maybe OP should give his job to an unemployed 2L so they could really feel the pain of having someone give them a job

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't be this guy from the other day...

Background:

You probably will do better than he will. I don't get what your problem is. It was a normal conversation. Don't hate.

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 am

Danteshek wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnF-MychFk0

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:16 am

It's just who you are, doesn't matter that you didn't get it through your own merit. It's life. Learn to live with it and appreciate it. Now work harder at your new job instead of apologizing for it

Return to “Legal Employment”