Holiday Vacation Timing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Holiday Vacation Timing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Can anyone tell me how long lawyers (both at firms and in the government) typically take off for the holidays? Will most people just take off the Monday Dec 26th-Monday Jan 2nd?

Just trying to figure out whether I should expect any offer decisions to be made during this time...thanks!

JamMasterJ

Re: Holiday Vacation Timing

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me how long lawyers (both at firms and in the government) typically take off for the holidays? Will most people just take off the Monday Dec 26th-Monday Jan 2nd?

Just trying to figure out whether I should expect any offer decisions to be made during this time...thanks!

2-3 weeks is standard, and for the most part it is dependent on when your case load allows it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me how long lawyers (both at firms and in the government) typically take off for the holidays? Will most people just take off the Monday Dec 26th-Monday Jan 2nd?

2-3 weeks is standard, and for the most part it is dependent on when your case load allows it

Seriously?! Do most people only take off after the 25th?

Can anyone speak for the government?

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:55 pm

If they can, they'll use as much vaca as possible if they've hit their hours and don't have any pressing matters. A lit associate I know in NYC is taking over 2 weeks off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:56 pm

My Dad was working on a deal once in late December as environmental counsel. They had a deadline coming up and called Cravath, also on the deal, to ask if anyone would be in the office on the 24th or the 25th to receive some documents they needed to send up. The Cravath attorneys laughed at him. Of course they would!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:58 pm

I guess I should clarify my question a little bit:

What dates should applicants not expect to hear anything regarding offer decisions from firms and government due to the holidays?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I should clarify my question a little bit:

What dates should applicants not expect to hear anything regarding offer decisions from firms and government due to the holidays?

Call and ask the receptionist when the firm or gov't office will be officially closed for the holidays. This year, probably Friday the 23rd and Monday the 26th. Otherwise, the office will be opened and work will still be done.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Seriously?! Do most people only take off after the 25th?

Can anyone speak for the government?

I meant generally. You may get stuck doing a deal around Christmastime

Return to “Legal Employment”