How bad would this be?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How bad would this be?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Struck out at OCI, but got a summer government position in the field I'm interested in, unpaid. Accepted and am going through the background check. But, a V50 in my city of choice just called offering an interview for an interview for an SA position in the practice area I want to do longterm. The government agency has already made it clear that a split summer is unacceptable and I know backing out this late would basically torch my bridges at the agency. But, the V50 would pay my student loans. How bad/unprofessional would it be to do the interview and withdraw if I get the job?

thesealocust

Re: How bad would this be?

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:29 pm

I'd do it. It's not optimal, but there's nothing to be ashamed about wanting to ever pay down your loans. This sounds like a great opportunity.

Lots of career services offices bluster about never backing out of a job because it looks bad for the school. It does, but you've got to look out for number one, and I know people who have done similar things without negative repercussions.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Without question seize that SA if you can. It's literally a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'd do it. It's not optimal, but there's nothing to be ashamed about wanting to ever pay down your loans. This sounds like a great opportunity.

Lots of career services offices bluster about never backing out of a job because it looks bad for the school. It does, but you've got to look out for number one, and I know people who have done similar things without negative repercussions.

+1. Unpaid gov position can easily lead to unemployment after graduation. If you get the firm job, just explain to the gov people your thinking and I'm sure they'd be fine with it - emphasize that although you'd like to work for them, but given the competitive nature of gov hiring + economic climate you need to focus on what will put you in the best position of eventually being employed.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I'd do it. It's not optimal, but there's nothing to be ashamed about wanting to ever pay down your loans. This sounds like a great opportunity.

+1. Unpaid gov position can easily lead to unemployment after graduation. If you get the firm job, just explain to the gov people your thinking and I'm sure they'd be fine with it - emphasize that although you'd like to work for them, but given the competitive nature of gov hiring + economic climate you need to focus on what will put you in the best position of eventually being employed.

That sounds like a great line to use. They can't get too mad at you... they know the legal employment reality right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI, but got a summer government position in the field I'm interested in, unpaid. Accepted and am going through the background check. But, a V50 in my city of choice just called offering an interview for an interview for an SA position in the practice area I want to do longterm. The government agency has already made it clear that a split summer is unacceptable and I know backing out this late would basically torch my bridges at the agency. But, the V50 would pay my student loans. How bad/unprofessional would it be to do the interview and withdraw if I get the job?

I agree with all that is said above, but I do want to emphasize to you that you are definitely burning your bridges with the agency (and maybe other agencies as well). Having worked at a couple of agencies myself, I know they keep every minute detail about you and will look it all up when you apply for a job in the future. However, your first concern should be paying off your loans. You're just probably losing a shot at working in a sector that doesn't have any jobs anyway...not a huge deal.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:13 pm

can't you just get caught shoplifting a pack of gum, hence failing the bg check?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI, but got a summer government position in the field I'm interested in, unpaid. Accepted and am going through the background check. But, a V50 in my city of choice just called offering an interview for an interview for an SA position in the practice area I want to do longterm. The government agency has already made it clear that a split summer is unacceptable and I know backing out this late would basically torch my bridges at the agency. But, the V50 would pay my student loans. How bad/unprofessional would it be to do the interview and withdraw if I get the job?

I agree with all that is said above, but I do want to emphasize to you that you are definitely burning your bridges with the agency (and maybe other agencies as well). Having worked at a couple of agencies myself, I know they keep every minute detail about you and will look it all up when you apply for a job in the future. However, your first concern should be paying off your loans. You're just probably losing a shot at working in a sector that doesn't have any jobs anyway...not a huge deal.

I know this and down the road I might love to work for this agency. I'm working there now in a different division and I asked my current supervisors' advice on how my future supervisors would view it. They said it wouldn't be ideal and would hurt, but they would think I was insane if I didn't welch on them to trade up from an unpaid internship with no chance of being hired fresh from law school to a firm that pays market and has had a 100% offer rate the last couple years.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:can't you just get caught shoplifting a pack of gum, hence failing the bg check?

I dare you to give worse advice.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Well, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Go, do the interview, then if you get an offer, go back to the agency and ask to split (I know, I read what they said, I'd do it anyway). Ask if they would "convert" your summer offer to a term time offer. Be polite, be humble.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 pm

IAFG wrote:Well, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Go, do the interview, then if you get an offer, go back to the agency and ask to split (I know, I read what they said, I'd do it anyway). Ask if they would "convert" your summer offer to a term time offer. Be polite, be humble.

I will, but I'm sure the bridge will still be burned. I asked about splitting with them and another government agency already and they said that wouldn't be possible, so I turned down the other agency. Also, they might convert the summer offer, but I doubt it since they get a ton of applicants.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:12 am

Would absolutely go with the SA if it pans out. I would like to think the agency - although probably annoyed - would understand your position and that this is a potentially life altering decision.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:Well, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Go, do the interview, then if you get an offer, go back to the agency and ask to split (I know, I read what they said, I'd do it anyway). Ask if they would "convert" your summer offer to a term time offer. Be polite, be humble.

I will, but I'm sure the bridge will still be burned. I asked about splitting with them and another government agency already and they said that wouldn't be possible, so I turned down the other agency. Also, they might convert the summer offer, but I doubt it since they get a ton of applicants.

I mean you can't change the fact that it's going to have the potential to harm your relationship with the agency. The only thing you can do is try to mitigate the harm. And show them that you were trying to do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I agree with all that is said above, but I do want to emphasize to you that you are definitely burning your bridges with the agency (and maybe other agencies as well). Having worked at a couple of agencies myself, I know they keep every minute detail about you and will look it all up when you apply for a job in the future. However, your first concern should be paying off your loans. You're just probably losing a shot at working in a sector that doesn't have any jobs anyway...not a huge deal.

I already regret typing this because..seriously..if you get the offer TAKE IT AND DO NOT LOOK BACK. All of what I typed is probably true, but it should not be a concern of yours. You need to be concerned about getting a paying job first and foremost, which isn't happening at the government right now.

Good luck with the firm. (And I agree with IAFG, be humble and polite while you're running away)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I agree with all that is said above, but I do want to emphasize to you that you are definitely burning your bridges with the agency (and maybe other agencies as well). Having worked at a couple of agencies myself, I know they keep every minute detail about you and will look it all up when you apply for a job in the future. However, your first concern should be paying off your loans. You're just probably losing a shot at working in a sector that doesn't have any jobs anyway...not a huge deal.

I already regret typing this because..seriously..if you get the offer TAKE IT AND DO NOT LOOK BACK. All of what I typed is probably true, but it should not be a concern of yours. You need to be concerned about getting a paying job first and foremost, which isn't happening at the government right now.

Good luck with the firm. (And I agree with IAFG, be humble and polite while you're running away)

Thanks, I accepted the interview, which is still a super-longshot given my poor profile and many failures at OCI, but realized that with my student loans, desire to pay for girlfriend's schooling and parents' retirement I pretty much have no choice but to take the highest paying job I can find. Given how nice the people were at this agency, I will probably be actually crying when I call them to renege. Now to try to worry about finals instead of all of this drama.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:But, the V50 would pay my student loans. How bad/unprofessional would it be to do the interview and withdraw if I get the job?

You can't keep all the people happy all of the time. If I were you, I'd ask myself whether I really want to work for an agency or boss that wouldn't understand why someone would need to take paid work instead of unpaid work after finishing professional school, especially in this job market.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:desire to pay for girlfriend's schooling

WTF? Is there some reason your girlfriend can't pay for her own schooling? That seems stupid, and if you break up, it could cause major problems.

(Still, I agree that if you get the V50, you take the V50)

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:10 pm

keg411 wrote:

WTF? Is there some reason your girlfriend can't pay for her own schooling? That seems stupid, and if you break up, it could cause major problems.

This. Get married before you pay for your GF's schooling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:27 pm

sundance95 wrote:
keg411 wrote:

This. Get married before you pay for your GF's schooling.

Yes, there are reasons. And by the time I actually started at the firm and had money to share, we would probably be engaged. Still, that's secondary to my need for money and my desire to work in a private firm at this point in my career.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Engaged =/= married. This is why they have student loans.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:35 pm

sundance95 wrote:Engaged =/= married. This is why they have student loans.

Plus, I'm guessing your girlfriend is an adult. She's not your daughter. It's one thing to be more responsible for things like living expenses while she goes to school to do whatever, but it's another to "pay for her schooling". She isn't a child, and if you did that she'd probably feel forced into make certain choices because you are paying for it. Let her worry about her own schooling since she's not your child.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Well, if OP's girlfriend is not an adult he has bigger problems then his his summer job.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:21 pm

LOL is your girlfriend like 17? If so...

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Thread took a weird turn.

The OP's "desire" and even willingness to put his girlfriend through school exposes strange personality deficiencies that likely manifest in poor interviewing.

Odd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Thread took a weird turn.

The OP's "desire" and even willingness to put his girlfriend through school exposes strange personality deficiencies that likely manifest in poor interviewing.

Odd.

OP here. I do interview poorly and have an admittedly quirky personality. Hopefully I can overcome it to the extent required for this interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”