3L NYC Law Department

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L NYC Law Department

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:28 am

Has anyone interviewed as a 3L for a position with the NYC Law Department? If so, please share your experience (ex. when you interviewed, interview process, and any callbacks/offers) and/or any hiring information. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 3L NYC Law Department

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Hiring freeze in place for an undetermined amount of time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:59 pm

^ that's not true. While NYC government jobs in general do have a hiring freeze, the NYC law dept. is an exception. The head of legal recruitment told me specifically they still are hiring people. 20 2Ls, who almost all will get offers next year. and 3Ls as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:37 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]^ that's not true. While NYC government jobs in general do have a hiring freeze, the NYC law dept. is an exception. The head of legal recruitment told me specifically they still are hiring people. 20 2Ls, who almost all will get offers next year. and 3Ls as well.

That's good to know. I applied earlier this fall and haven't heard back. I was wondering if others had similar luck.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:10 pm

The Workers' Compensation division recently hired several entry-level graduates. I am unsure if or when other divisions are hiring. Your best shot is the workers' compensation and tort divisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Yes, it is true, unless they've lied to me.

I've interviewed with the NYC Law Dept. and they notified me prior to the interview that they're under a Bloomberg-mandated NYC hiring freeze, as is every city agency save for the NY City Council (which has its own budget). NYC Law Dept. is an exception insofar as they expect to hire their normal amount of incoming attorneys at some point, instead of dealing with severe cutbacks, because of a sort of favored status situation.

But they aren't hiring at the moment.

2Ls aren't given permanent positions upon accepting the summer gig -- even if it's all-but-inevitable that one will result -- so I would assume (total guess here) that they can be hired as summer employees without breaking the hiring freeze.

As of last word I had gotten, 3Ls interviewing for entry-level gigs have to wait until the hiring freeze is lifted to get their status determined.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, it is true, unless they've lied to me.

I've interviewed with the NYC Law Dept. and they notified me prior to the interview that they're under a Bloomberg-mandated NYC hiring freeze, as is every city agency save for the NY City Council (which has its own budget). NYC Law Dept. is an exception insofar as they expect to hire their normal amount of incoming attorneys at some point, instead of dealing with severe cutbacks, because of a sort of favored status situation.

2Ls aren't given permanent positions upon accepting the summer gig -- even if it's all-but-inevitable that one will result -- so I would assume (total guess here) that they can be hired as summer employees without breaking the hiring freeze.

As of last word I had gotten, 3Ls interviewing for entry-level gigs have to wait until the hiring freeze is lifted to get their status determined.

Unfortunately TCR. They're not hiring for full time gigs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, it is true, unless they've lied to me.

That's disappointing to hear, but thank you for sharing! Maybe we'll hear better news later.

Return to “Legal Employment”