Bar Stipend - When Do We Get It & How Much?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar Stipend - When Do We Get It & How Much?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 pm

My offer letter doesn't say. Does yours?

Anonymous User

Re: Bar Stipend - When Do We Get It & How Much?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Mine says 15k in early spring.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Totally forgot about bar stipends. Something to look forward to this spring

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 am

My firm hasn't yet mentioned anything about a bar stipend, and I don't see anything on the website. Plus, any data on the interwebs is pre-2009, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Is a stipend standard, or could it just be an advance? Is there a current list anywhere?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:30 am

I'll be working for a ~30-40 lawyer patent boutique and the offer letter had info on my bar stipend and state & patent bar reimbursement. It's a stipend, not an advance.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:40 am

There's a link floating around here somewhere with a list of firms and their pre-employment perks.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:05 am

BeenDidThat wrote:There's a link floating around here somewhere with a list of firms and their pre-employment perks.

If it's that ATL poast with listings by firm, IIRC, it's pretty old and outdated for some firms.

Agent

Postby Agent » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:There's a link floating around here somewhere with a list of firms and their pre-employment perks.

If it's that ATL poast with listings by firm, IIRC, it's pretty old and outdated for some firms.

ATL: Associate Life Survey: Everything (Else) You Always Wanted To Know About Starting Bonuses But Were Afraid To Ask

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm hasn't yet mentioned anything about a bar stipend, and I don't see anything on the website. Plus, any data on the interwebs is pre-2009, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Is a stipend standard, or could it just be an advance? Is there a current list anywhere?

To get the bar study stipend, BarBri reimbursement, and relocation fees, I had to sign an additional agreement that I would work for the firm for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, I would have to pay back those expenses plus interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm hasn't yet mentioned anything about a bar stipend, and I don't see anything on the website. Plus, any data on the interwebs is pre-2009, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Is a stipend standard, or could it just be an advance? Is there a current list anywhere?

To get the bar study stipend, BarBri reimbursement, and relocation fees, I had to sign an additional agreement that I would work for the firm for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, I would have to pay back those expenses plus interest.

How long is your commitment, if you don't mind my asking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How long is your commitment, if you don't mind my asking?

18 months - I see this as a job guaranteed for 18 months, because, if the firm fires me, I don't have to pay back anything. This gives the firm some little incentive not to fire me. :wink:

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:58 pm

I understand the ATL link is out of date, but it still makes me wonder why there's no "market" rate for this. Firms care so much about matching "market" for bonuses, but here they don't care about low-balling anyone. The difference between the most generous and the most stingy firm is huge ($18,461 + bar exam course + fees)!

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:23 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:I understand the ATL link is out of date, but it still makes me wonder why there's no "market" rate for this. Firms care so much about matching "market" for bonuses, but here they don't care about low-balling anyone. The difference between the most generous and the most stingy firm is huge ($18,461 + bar exam course + fees)!

Because it's not highly publicized.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:47 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:I understand the ATL link is out of date, but it still makes me wonder why there's no "market" rate for this. Firms care so much about matching "market" for bonuses, but here they don't care about low-balling anyone. The difference between the most generous and the most stingy firm is huge ($18,461 + bar exam course + fees)!

Because it's not highly publicized.

Strange how the firms that offer substantial stipends don't use it as a selling point, especially as many of them exceed first-year bonuses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Agent wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

ATL: Associate Life Survey: Everything (Else) You Always Wanted To Know About Starting Bonuses But Were Afraid To Ask

Realize this is old, but nice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:54 am

Anyone know anything about stipends in secondary markets? (Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.)

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about stipends in secondary markets? (Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.)

Yea, they don't give stipends in such TTT markets.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 pm

shmoo597 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about stipends in secondary markets? (Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.)

Yea, they don't give stipends in such TTT markets.

Can't tell if joking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:46 pm

The 2ndary market firm I worked at gives you around $7500 in bar stipend. Better than Ropes and Gray :p

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:25 am

Anyone know if big TX firms still give out stipends? If so, which ones/how much/etc?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:28 pm

I am only really familiar with the plans of three firms re. bar stipends and stub-year bonuses, but this thing is substantially wrong about two of them, so I'm not sure how useful it is.

Also, I can't vouch for the veracity of this at all, but if you enjoy unsubstantiated rumor: a classmate who is headed to GDC says they give a stipend in CA and a loan in NY, because the firm feels that's what the "market" is doing in both of those places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Anyone know the details on Bar Reimbursements at S&C and DPW? Also, since it is a reimbursement, how long after we front the money will we be reimbursed? Shit isn't cheap!

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Renzo wrote:

I am only really familiar with the plans of three firms re. bar stipends and stub-year bonuses, but this thing is substantially wrong about two of them, so I'm not sure how useful it is.

Also, I can't vouch for the veracity of this at all, but if you enjoy unsubstantiated rumor: a classmate who is headed to GDC says they give a stipend in CA and a loan in NY, because the firm feels that's what the "market" is doing in both of those places.

The rumor isn't quite as unsubstantiated as the chart says exactly that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Renzo wrote:

This is true. I'm working in Chicago next summer at one of the big 5 (Kirkland, Sidley, Winston, Jenner, Mayer) and we get a 10k Bar stipend, while everyone I know working at NY firms (Cleary, Debevoise, STB) are getting a 10k Bar Stipend that is a SALARY ADVANCE.

NY really gets screwed on this.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:

This is true. I'm working in Chicago next summer at one of the big 5 (Kirkland, Sidley, Winston, Jenner, Mayer) and we get a 10k Bar stipend, while everyone I know working at NY firms (Cleary, Debevoise, STB) are getting a 10k Bar Stipend that is a SALARY ADVANCE.

NY really gets screwed on this.

NY to $150,000!!!!

Return to “Legal Employment”